[DEPRECATED] 2015 Voice Assistant Run Routine FAQ--see 2017 FAQ instead

Need some help so I can mentally “connect the dots” with tying in Alexa, IFTTT and SmartThings.

I’ve read thru this thread, JD Roberts other cool one the Echo + IFTTT + SmartThings + Harmony one, and the update at the top of his FAQ on the Echo regarding using IFTTT “triggers” with Alexa.

Basically I want to turn on (or off) multiple switches around the house using one verbal cue with Alexa. Being a noob I’ve been taking baby steps so I started off by making my first virtual switch. (Note: this was all within SmartThings, no Alexa, no IFTTT). So this virtual switch when activated would turn on all the lights in the house with the help of a Routine and a SmartApp. And presto it worked, turning on lights for the entire house when I turned on my virtual switch (but again, didn’t yet tie this in with Alexa).

I want to do that same kind of thing but using Alexa and want to make sure I’m doing it the right way.

The question I’m sort of scratching my head with is…what is the best way (if there is one best way) to accomplish tasks using the Echo to switch on multiple devices. Specifically, is the correct path:

**Alexa Trigger via IFTTT which then flips Virtual Switch, then using a SmartApp (Alexa Helper for instance) it turns on the Routine which flips on multiple devices? **

Or is this too many steps? Does the new Alexa/IFTTT Triggers require a different sequence? (i.e., no longer needing a SmartApp)? Also should I really be using Routines to accomplish this or are the Echo Groups the right way? Yep, I’m a little confused.

Again, the goal is to have a number of scenarios where voice commands via Echo turn on (or off) multiple devices. For example, “Alexa trigger downstairs lights” and all the downstairs lights in the house go on, “Alexa trigger shut off downstairs” and all the lights downstairs go off.