FAQ: The Many Ways of Detecting Presence (2020)

That’s basically what I’m running on my ubuntu media server. The code’s pretty rough around the edges.

Another option for Mobile Presence in SmartThings:

1 Like

Hey this looks great! Anyway you can make the iOS app available on 10.2?

I’m currently jailbroken and need to stay on that version.

That’s a question that @ady624 or @anon36505037 can answer.

Thanks for the heads up - but I got it working, no need for those guys to waste their time developing for 10.2.

I’ve made a small opensource project which sniffs wifi packets and lets you upload events (MAC address is active - your phone is nearby) via various protocols: http://izmailoff.github.io/iot/wifi-presense.

Did toy integrate it with smartthings?

You can integrate with hardware via GPIO plugin or with software via REST, MQTT, etc. Not limited to particular consumer. If you have a particular API in mind I could give you an example.

1 Like

I have a Mac that is always running…what do you recommend?

This app that I developed works pretty much on any platform as long as you have a wifi card that can do monitor mode. You need to read the post to understand how things work: install and config-wise.

1 Like

We have our phones act as presence using the ST native presence feature in the apps. This has worked fine.

The problem we have… guests. Let’s say they visit and do their own thing. While we are away, they come home and use our guest key. They are not connected to our ST account, and even use a guest SSID on our wifi. So how do we detect their arrival before they open the door and set off the alarms? The arrival key fob seemed perfect, but while we have not tested one, appears to be unreliable. Most of these solutions cannot work for our situation. Any ideas?

As the first post in this thread mentioned, the arrival sensors work just fine for many households, it’s just that they don’t work fine for all households. So they’re definitely worth a try, as the issue is almost always a matter of local interference which may not apply at your own house. But you won’t know until you try one.

If you are willing to make a few changes to your paradigm: My solution to this involves the Schlage Camelot lock and webcore. Any valid code entered at the lock puts SHM in ‘home’ configuration, disarming the alarm. I have SHM monitoring a simulated contact sensor (combines the lock and the physical contact sensor on the door). Unlock the lock, wait one second or so, and then open the door.

A handful of ST presence fobs costs the same as the lock… and the lock will not get misplaced.

2 Likes

@JDRoberts and @Glen_King , thank you both for your time and replies. I appreciate it!

1 Like

What happens if I sign in to multiple phones running SmartThings Classic App?

In my experience, the Present sensing seems to be broken. It will show 2 phones but both of them would be Present even though neither was home. I know it is recommended to add another user but I am just trying to make it easier without creating another account. What if I really have 2 phones which I use on a regular basis? Why do both phones stuck in Present when neither is near Home?

1 Like

Old post, I know, but if you are using a Raspberry Pi, many people have used a bluetooth ping (l2ping) to check if the phone bluetooth MAC can be detected (i.e. confirm that you are home) - this in combination with a Smarthings window/door sensor is pretty accurate. Note that the bluetooth device does NOT have to be paired in order to respond to a ping…

3 Likes

Does anyone know where can i buy The SmartThings Arrival Sensor in Europe? Thanks

Good question, but off topic for this FAQ. See the following active thread:

SmartThings Presence Sensor Discontinued in UK?

1 Like