[OBSOLETE] FAQ: [ST Edge] Edge D-day - how will "Things" move across?

Scary though, but you are probably right. I have roughly 30 “children” in this scenario and some of them have several automations attached. Not sure I’ll make that many virtual switches, but maybe I should make at least the ones I use via google and one extra dummy one/ outlet strip muti child device for the rest?

That probably makes sense since you’ll most likely need the individual ones for voice control in the long run. I plan to screenshot all the automations that are impacted (two Zooz power strips and a double outlet, plus a light/fan, so around 12 devices with 1-2 automations on nearly all of them) so I can rebuild them later. I created a couple of dummy virtual devices and I’ll just add one of those next to the originals in each automation. If the child devices do transition smoothly, I can just delete the virtual devices and they’ll disappear from the routines; if not, I’ll go through and replace with the appropriate subcomponent.

1 Like

I went through and screen shot most of the IDE last week, but yes, it looks like doing the same for each child automation will be needed as a backup. That’s about 1/3 of the ones I have if I include relays, smart strips, scene controllers, etc. Glad ST has such a great backup feature, lol.

Thinking about it now, I’m not sure I can use one dummy for the “rest” of the automations as there will likely be conflicts, but for now, I’ll screen shot all and add dummys for the important ones that I’ll need later for sure.

1 Like

Do we know all of the devices (or types) that fall into this category? Of particular interest is the Zooz ZEN31 RGB controller. It isn’t explicitly a master/child device, but it does use multiple devices to control the white light vs the colored lights. There will already be a challenge if the color coordinator goes away for the colored lights, do I also need to worry about the separate entities being controllable?

1 Like

Do we know what the maximum limits are?

As of this date:

You are limited to a total of 200 devices (per location), 200 local automations, and 50 edge drivers (per hub).

There was a recent discussion in the following thread:

What do I need to do to get ready for Sept 30?

2 Likes

with all of these virtual device and routines to sync states workarounds, you’d think SmartThings could at the very least create a something that does the same thing but more like a smartapp, instead of recommending this janky solution

1 Like

@JDRoberts hey there. I have a device that i have deleted and added many times but keep getting it as a “thing” between removing and adding i installed many drivers which i think was supposed to match. Im not sure if I’m doing something wrong while installing drivers or if I’m choosing the wrong driver. Any idea?

It’s a zemismart tuya zigbee curtain (the new one that comes without the wall switch)
AliExpress link:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNGD0n6

Did you try use this one ?

https://account.smartthings.com/?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fbestow-regional.api.smartthings.com%2Finvite%2FqWjB0pNyY62y%3F

2 Likes

Wow! You’re a lifesaver I spent two days of researchibg and bothering everyone. Thanks alot it worked like a charm.

2 Likes

Are the devices with the new Edge drivers available to be used in the groovy apps?

I had the first ones button with temps convert over for me, and as it was part of a groovy thermostat, it caused my thermostat to stop working. I removed that device from the thermostat, and it started working again.

Same here, two ST buttons and the Z-wave repeater side of two Iris smart plugs are the first devices I’ve seen automatically migrate, sometime in the 2-3 days since I last checked.

My Groovy Smart Lighting routines that use those two buttons seem to be broken - I get a “We’re having trouble connecting” error when I try to edit the routines. Fortunately they’re simple to recreate but not a good sign (CC @nayelyz )

SmartLighting routines that use the Iris plugs look to be intact, but they use the Zigbee plug part of the device, not the Z-wave repeater, so I wouldn’t expect them to be impacted.

1 Like

Yes, thanks for the details Mark, same ST buttons, exact same error when submitting edits.

1 Like

Hi, @Rick_VB
Is the “Groovy thermostat” a custom Groovy SmartApp? I want to see if it’s possible to check which elements of the device were being used.

When this happens, it’s hard for the team to track down the issue if you delete and recreate the elements.
I can report the issue to see if there’s something they can I need the following info:

1. Routine’s name in SmartLighting. The name of the device involved.
  2. Access to your account:
  1. Go to the SmartThings Web (my.smartthings.com)
  2. Log in to your Samsung Account
  3. Select Menu (⋮) and choose Settings
  4. Toggle on Account Data Access
  5. Select the time period and confirm - In this step, please select “Until turned off”, once the team finishes, we’ll let you know so you can disable it again.

Sending a PM with details. I haven’t deleted or recreated the problem routines.

I sent an email in as well.

Has anybody come up with a virtual thermostat yet that I can wire up relatively simply yet with a temp sensor and a switch/on-off plug? I’m starting to get worried, as winter is coming and I have three of these that I depend on…

Could you use Mariano’s virtual thermostat tied to a sensor (ZigBee sensor version here: (EDGE Driver-Mc): Zigbee Temp Sensor and Child Thermostat Mc, Zigbee Temp Sensor with Thermostat Mc), and then create routines to tie the actions of the virtual thermostat to turn on and off a plug?

He has a zwave sensor version of the same driver if needed.

1 Like

Next devices that have moved: Sonoff / EweLink motion sensors. Associated Smart Lighting routines still exist and can be edited; I’ll check tonight whether they’re functioning normally.

5 Likes

Is it possible to force Switch to EDGE driver from a Custom DTH without repairing?

Not today, and it doesn’t seem like that’s going to be added. Automigration by Samsung only, or exclude/include (zwave) or delete and re-pair (Zigbee).

2 Likes