FAQ: Sharptools , actiontiles or native ST app for your wall panel? (2020)

I doubt Wyze will put much more effort into local RTSP. They did it as a goodwill gesture for small percentage of their customers who are power users. It is not a core business strategy.

Regardless, unless mobile browses enhance their video handling, even RTSP cannot be embedded into a web page like ActionTiles.

1 Like

I have to agree with action tiles being a better option.

Especially if you’re using older devices that run a little slower.

Action tiles just run a little smother on a gen 1 or 2 iPad Mini

1 Like

@kewashi
Will HousePanel work with the new Rules API?

@tgauchat @joshua_lyon
Will ActionTiles and SharpTools run locally in some way with the new Rules API?

E.g. can we buy a Raspberry Pi with your app preloaded?

Thanks

No - the new rules API only works with apps written in the new architecture. HP uses the legacy architecture - but then again, as a dashboard I’m not sure why you would need it to work with a rule automation feature. It does support WebCore Pistons and you can make arbitrary webhook API calls, which in theory could invoke the new rules API but I haven’t tried this.

These two commercial packages both run in the cloud only.

Funny you should ask – because my wife has been telling me to do this to create value and a viable business plan for HousePanel. I guess she was right, but I didn’t do this unfortunately. The next best thing is the install script which makes installation a snap. The problem with a pre-installed version would be I would need to have your ST hub login info for it to be truly plug and play…

We (SharpTools) have been working with SmartThings on the new Rule API, but primarily for the Rule Engine part of SharpTools.io.

We were privileged to be part of the limited Rule API pre-release leading up to the last Samsung Developer conference and are excited about the possibilities it will bring - especially the future possibility of locally executing rules.

The Rule API is really designed around rule/automations. The being said, even the Rule API does not run locally at the moment (though there are plans for parts of it to run locally in the future).

At the moment, no dashboard is going to run locally with SmartThings. While HousePanel hosts the files for loading the dashboard app locally, the integration itself requires a connection to the SmartThings cloud - both for device control and device status updates.

Similarly, both SharpTools and ActionTiles (and any other app integration) communicate with the SmartThings cloud. Even the SmartThings Mobile app itself requires communication with the SmartThings cloud. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am reading this post with interest as I am in the same boat - since both vendors are part of this forum I’d like you to state what your unique selling feature/benefit is over your competitor?
Ease of use? A particular feature? Integration? …
@joshua_lyon @tgauchat
:slight_smile:

SharpTools.io has a number of unique features including a complete Rule Engine, integrations with Calendars, News Feeds, Other Platforms, Album Art and more.

The video from the SharpTools booth at this years Samsung Developer Conference linked above demos a number of these unique features:

Keep in mind that both products have a 14-day free trial, so I’d suggest getting hands on and trying things out yourself. :smiley:

Tagging @625alex from ActionTiles.

4 Likes

This is really impressive! I didn’t know that SharpTools did all of that!

3 Likes

Thanks @joshua_lyon, have dowloaded SharpTools and set it up - pretty good and user friendly.

3 Likes

Just a heads up that the dashboards (like those shown in the video above) are accessible from any modern web browser at: https://SharpTools.io

We have an app on Google Play called SharpTools which is for widgets and integration with Tasker, a popular Android automation app. If you’re looking for the dashboards, be sure to visit https://SharpTools.io from a modern web browser. :grinning:

2 Likes

I have actiontiles. I like it, but I may have to upgrade usage of tablets, instead of my Kindle fires. I’m not a fan of rooting network connected devices to make things work, and removing some of the security funcionality (maybe a bit paranoid) to do this. This makes the Kindle fires not ideal to use.

Another thing i would like to more easily do is integrate my ring feed when the doorbell rings. Another feature I’m working on is to figure out a way to show the family calendar.

Again, I tend to purchase smart home stuff cheap and have been trying to use more inexpensive tablets, which conflict a bit with my somewhat security mentality. I do have Alexa in my home, so maybe I’m sensitive on some things and not others…

You don’t have to root a Fire Tablet to get it to work with Sharptools and probably ActionTiles. You can load the Fully Kiosk Browser APK without rooting and get a perfectly functional panel.

4 Likes

No rooting required. I just use fire toolbox to remove the bloatware, change the default launcher and to sideload Google play store and play services.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve reviewed them, but I get nervous when going to random sites to download files, then the results of those files request my Google un/pw. Maybe I’m just over sensitive to it, but it gives me great pause, and consider buying used tablets from eBay (which also have a risk).

I’m sure you factory reset them, but I always just buy straight from Amazon. Before Christmas, a HD 8 was only 50 bucks.

1 Like

Here are the instructions I’ve reviewed.

You download items from apkmirror.com (reputable site?) and the results of those downloads install a file that you input in your google username/pw.

I know others use this process, but again it may just be my preference to have Google play natively installed. Again, price goes way up.

1 Like

Pretty sure you can use ActionTiles without downloading anything other than the ActionTiles app from the stock Amazon App store. If you want to use it in conjunction with Fully Kiosk, all you need to do is download the Fire version of of it from the Fully website. I prefer adding the Google Play store and Chrome which does as you say require some downloads from “random” sites, but this is totally optional

1 Like

I’m playing with setting up a new Fire 7 with ActionTiles. I followed the basic steps as linked above. No rooting needed, apkmirror is fine & the only non-marketplace site I’ll grab files to sideload. I do have things running, now need to get the contractor out to set up the wall box for my constant power setup & finalize things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, the angel on my shoulder says you know InfoSec, why are you downloading from a site like that and entering in your google credentials? The talking thing on my other shoulder is saying look how much money you’ll save using Kindle fires! Decisions or risk/reward, I know…

APKMirror does not need your google credentials.