FAQ: Philips Hue and Other Smart Bulbs - What sort of light switches to use with them? (Long FAQ)

first, association changed was zwave plus, and it’s more complicated now:

Second, there’s never a situation where you need one zwave plus and one zwave classic device, I’m not sure what you were thinking of there. Per the spec, all zwave generations are backwards compatible, so it’s fine if you have some zwae plus devices and some zwave classic devices on your network. The features available will depend on the specific model. Sometimes a newer model has fewer features than the previous one, it’s just up to the manufacturer. The one consistent difference is that Z wave plus devices will have a longer range than Z wave classic and in some cases will be better at pairing in place

Third, Association isn’t applicable to this particular question, which is how do you set up a wall switch so it can control a smart bulb without curing current off to the bulb?

I understand @sbdobrescu said he hasn’t run into a problem with his particular set up, which is great, I’m happy for him. But it doesn’t change the manufacturer recommendations for these devices, which is that a smart bulb always be left on power. And it doesn’t change the fact that if you do cut the power, then you can’t communicate with the bulbs With automations or with the app until the power is restored. Obviously people have to make their own decisions on these kinds of risk factors, but the risk is still real even if one particular person hasn’t had a problem yet.

But if we go back to best practices, which is to let the bulb control its own current use, then you don’t want any master switches on that circuit except for emergencies. The whole reason for using the auxiliary/add-ons is that they don’t get wired to the load. :sunglasses: