FAQ: Limits and Guardrails (max # of automations, devices, etc)

I got the email yesterday saying it’s almost time to migrate over to the new app. Stupid me, I jumped into this morning, moving some ROUTINES from CLASSIC over to AUTOMATIONS on the new app … I’m about half way through when I started getting the NETWORK ERROR message every time I tried to save an Automation. Looks like I’m already at the limit. This isn’t going to work for me!

Another problem I see here is in the IF statement. I have a routine in CLASSIC that looks at 3 outdoor motion sensors, after my system goes into NIGHT mode. If it sees motion on any of those sensors while in NIGHT mode - it then turns on Garage Lights, Porch Light and Patio Light for 15 minutes. With the new IF / THEN format for automations - I had to setup 3 automations to accomplish this - one for each of the 3 outdoor motion sensors. The IF statement only allows for ALL of the motions sensors to be triggered AND for it to be NIGHT mode - or any of those 4 conditions. IN the “any” conditional - that means lights were turning on during the day because a car drove down the street. The only way I could see to get this to work, was to setup an Automation for each motion sensor in NIGHT mode. So that’s 3 automations with 2 IF statements, and 3 actions. Is that counting as 15 towards my 250 limit?

There needs to be an AND statement include in the IF - for instance in my case above - IF mode is NIGHT, AND Patio Motion or Garage Motion or Porch Motion detects motion, THEN turn on Garage Lights, Porch Light and Patio Light for 15 minutes.

EDIT - as I re-read some of the messages above, I want to make sure I’m understanding something here … If I enter an Automation that turns on 10 Hue lights, sets each light to a different color, and a different dimming level, and turns them off at different times after they turned on … that’s 40 actions? 10 lights on + 10 different colors + 10 different dimming levels + 10 different times off = 40 actions?

2 Likes