FAQ: How do I know what drivers are "At risk" ? (moving to Edge)

Hi all. I must have completely missed that a lot of my old driver could stop working in a couple months. Now that I see the forums first page I can tell this must have been going on for a while!

Anyway, is there something I can do to see if a driver needs an update? How can I see this indicator in my ST IDE pages? Is there a community “Beginners Guide” or something to help those who just want to make sure things keep working on our systems?

1 Like

At this point, when you open a device in the ST app, click on the 3 dots in the upper right of the screen, and click on “Driver”… you can see the Edge Driver assigned along with the Date of that Driver. Drivers are updated automatically after ST or the Developer of Community Drivers push them out. These updates are received by the hub within a day. The user is no longer required to update community Drivers like they needed to from IDE.There is currently no other info provided in the app for Edge Drivers but you do have the ability to select other Drivers to use with a Device.

Note: Driver in the menu under the 3 dots does not appear until the device has received an Edge Driver.

Is there a community “Beginners Guide” or something to help those who just want to make sure things keep working on our systems?

and here is a starting point for CLI which you can get some equivalent information that was provided in IDE:

1 Like

If you look in the IDE any devices listed as “Placeholder” are using the new architecture and are ready to go. These are WiFi devices using official cloud to cloud (c2c) integrations or Z-wave, ZigBee or Lan devices using the new Edge Drivers.

Any non-placeholder devices will eventually need to be upgraded.

1 Like

From another thread:

If they are using stock DTHs, you don’t need to do anything, they should be automatically converted as the transition goes forward. But any devices in that list using custom DTHs would be the ones “at risk.“

They should still be automatically converted to a stock edge driver as part of the transition as long as the fingerprints match, but then you might lose some functionality. So you might prefer to start researching and see if there is a custom edge driver with the same features as the old custom groovy DTH. :thinking:

you can try checking the author thread for the groovy DTH you are using to see if anyone has posted there about an equivalent Edge driver. If not, You can find existing custom edge drivers by looking on the quick browse lists in the community-created wiki.

(How to Quick Browse the Community-Created SmartApps Forum Section - Things That Are Smart Wiki)

2 Likes

We really should have a topic title on

"How to exclude and re include my device’ with users helping each other on how to exclude devices they use

If a devices fingerprint is released by Smartthings and installed onto a hub automatically the next time a users device is excluded and re included it ‘should’ use the edge driver ST released

A user can try to include there current devices and re on board to catch an edge driver

The problem going forward can be many things but one of the issues is how to exclude a device a user installed 2 years ago and cant remember how to exclude

A thread on device exclusion could be very useful

A little complication to be aware of… Below is a device that was migrated automatically as part of the beta program. All of the devices that were migrated that way continue to show as attached to the hub, but this one is peculiar in that it still shows the DTH instead of placeholder.

1 Like

Best advice for users at this point is wait and let ST migrate their devices automatically. :slight_smile:

2 Likes