FAQ: Help with Logitech Harmony (Connect) and Triggers (SmartThings Classic)

Gotcha… I remember being able to reorder commands and even add delays. I see now that’s only available on the PC software, but you can only add home automation on the mobile app… catch 22 :frowning:

I have all of my AV stuff shut down at night to kill the vampires. When the house goes in to morning routine (before any one wakes up) I have that routine turn the AV equipment back on to standby.

That way I’ve saved every and when the family comes down around 7 everything is ready to go and harmony works like a champ.

All my smartthings devices have disappeared from Harmony. Re-Login works but Harmony states it cannot find any compatible devices. Did something change?

I see Harmony Home Hub on ebay for under $50. No remote, just the hub. Is that the way to go, or is it very beneficial to get the Hub with the remote as well? I have universal remotes now that work fine. Any benefit to getting the Groupon bundle, etc? If not, I think I’ll pull the trigger on the home hub alone.

I just got the harmony hub and have hooked it up to smartthings. Everything worked fine and my activities transfered over onto the things tab as virtual switches just fine. The problem I’m having is when I activate one of the virtual switches it turns on and starts the activity and then automatically switches back to off even though the activity is still running on the harmony hub. This means that I can’t turn off the activity from smartthings because if I hit the same virtual switch again it trys to start the already running activity. Am I doing something wrong here?

So I think what you’re saying is that your audio/video devices does not have dedicated remote codes for on and another for off. It’s a toggle. So if the TV is on, and you tell it to run a routine to watch a DVD, it turns “on” the TV, but it actually turns “off” the TV because it’s already on. Am I reading this right?

I am not sure what the solution is, but I am sure others must have the same issue.

I guess I’ll pull the trigger on the hub only since nobody chimed in on whether it would be advisable to get it with the harmony remote as well.

In my case I’m actually using the harmony hub to connect a lutron hub with light switches to smartthings. For a light switch you would think the “activity” would stay on as long as the light switch is on then you could turn the activity off which would turn the switch off.

As far as getting the remote with hub or not I was in the same position. I needed the hub to connect the lutron hub to smartthings but I didn’t really need the remote since I already had an older harmony remote that still works. In the end I decided to get the remote and replace my older one since the new remote uses RF to connect to the hub and therefore you don’t need to keep pointing the remote at the tv the entire time you are starting an activity. I found a good deal on the elite remote/hub on amazon under other resellers. it was 230 for the elite instead of 350 retail.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-logitech-remote-controls

So I believe this is a 2013 model. Will this do everything I might want to do with smartthings? Or do I need a newer model? The myharmony website is not very good at explaining what is needed.

I mostly want to automate switching functions, like from xbox to cable box, set channel, volume, turn on and off system, and I want to be able to use Alexa, presumably via IFTTT to do much of this. If anyone knows, I would appreciate the assistance. This is one of those “get forgiveness later” purchases, so I don’t want to get “Ultimate” anything.

I believe all the hubs are the same it is only the remote that changes but I’m not 100% on that. I found lots of hubs on ebay for 50 bucks with but it now, if you don’t think you will want the remote.

There is an option in the settings of each device to make the power “always on” so it won’t switch it off when changing triggers, unless it contains an off command for the device.

Anyone able to add a logitech harmony smarthub? I try adding one but after choosing the ‘connect now’ button I get a spinning icon and then an error ’ You are not authorized to perform the requested operation’

Trying to setup my Harmony remotes after moving. I started over by wiping my hub and removing my devices. I’ve added most everything back and when I tried to add my harmony yesterday I got to the ‘Discovering Devices!’ screen and nothing.

I can see the hubs on my local network and can connect to them using the Harmony app. Is there a step I am missing?

I am also struggling with this, have reset my hub and remote today and all working well from the remote. Unable to add the hub to the smartapp as it just sits on discovering devices and i see error refreshing page.

Did you get this resolved?