FAQ: Full list of buttons and remotes confirmed to work with SmartThings [Not all devices listed work with the 2020 Platform]

I can confirm the xiaomi button works really well for now using the DTH below. I got them for under £5 each and the build quality is quite good.

1 Like

I am currently looking at the ABB / Busch Jaeger ZigBee Light Link remotes
I didn’t get one of those yet, but will certainly play with one soon… They certainly look promising…

http://new.abb.com/low-voltage/products/residential-products/remote-control/zigbee-light-link
https://www.busch-jaeger.de/en/products/product-solutions/remote-control/zigbee-light-link/

They have a large choice of switch/dimmer/remote module.
they come with a large choice of faces and finishes to suit your décor. The switches can be labelled and have a discreet status LED build in.
The remotes can be battery powered and glued to the wall (without any needs for altering the wall or fitting a wall box, just glue it on a flat surface, that simple)
An optional power supply is also possible to replace an existing switch (the power supply fit inside a standard switch wall box).

I spoke to ABB and these are standard ZigBee Light Link compliant devices and should work with any ZLL ZigBee controller…

Personally, I have a large room with 4 LED zones to control. All my bulbs are OSRAM Lightify. I already control them/zones via Smartthing (and my harmony Elite). For convenience, I want to add a wall mounted remote.
I am looking at getting a 4 button +/- remote module (6737) in stainless steel.

But ST doesn’t support ZLL, right?

Right.

SmartThings uses the ZHA profile.

The standard requires that the ZLL bulbs fall back to A ZHA profile when connected to a ZHA coordinator, but the same is not necessarily true of ZLL switches, and even if it does, it’s common for devices other than bulbs to have the ZHA profile on a separate endpoint, which means a custom device handler will be required. In some cases, community members have spent months trying to get such a DTH built.

1 Like

Satechi Bluetooth Button (US) (Requires Android device and Tasker)

If you have an android device with Tasker as a controller, there are several Bluetooth buttons that you can use as a cloud to cloud integration.

One community member used the Satechi, a $30 elegant button, to add an under the counter controller for kitchen LEDs. Although the button’s own app will work with an iPhone, if you want to get SmartThings integration you have to have android and Tasker.

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Bluetooth-Button-iPhone-Samsung/dp/B00RM75NL0

And here’s the full project report. Remember that the android controller has to be within Bluetooth range of the button or it won’t work. So if you just use your phone, the button will only work while that particular phone is home.

There are probably Bluetooth buttons available in the UK that could work with tasker in the same way.

Securifi Almond Click Button, zigbee home automation (US only for now)

This is a very simple button, at the time of this writing sold only in a three pack. No temperature or humidity monitoring. Click, double click, and long press events.

List price is $49.95 for the three pack when bought through Amazon, but it has occasionally been offered for less on the manufacturer’s site, so check there as well.

https://www.securifi.com/rg/almondclick

Although the product description says IFTTT support, that is when paired to their own controller. When paired to SmartThings, you would use the regular SmartThings IFTTT channel for it.

Requires a custom DTH:

1 Like

Xiaomi Smart Switch Button, Zigbee (From China, ships to both the US and Europe)

This is another very inexpensive device from Xiaomi, typically selling for nine dollars or less. Xiaomi is a very large consumer products company in China. This device is part of their home automation line and is intended for the Chinese market, but Gearbest has been importing it for about six months and some community members have it working with SmartThings. It’s a little bigger than the iris smart button, but round.

Shipping can take up to a month, pairing can be fiddly, and it’s not officially certified for ZHA, but it’s hard to beat the price.

http://www.gearbest.com/smart-light-bulb/pp_257679.html?wid=21

It will need a custom device type handler:

2 Likes

Thanks! Just ordered 4.

(US) Also, since this question has come up a couple of times in the threads on the new SmartThings/Lutron integration…

If you are using the official integration, the Lutron multibutton devices, called pico’s, Will work to control your Lutron lights, but The pico’s themselves will be invisible to SmartThings, so you can’t use the buttons for anything else.

If this is of interest, you will need the pico models that work with the Lutron Caseta line. There are a number of different models with different button arrangements. They also come in several colors and can be used in a wall mount or handheld.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/Components/PicoWirelessController/Models.aspx

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/SingleRoomControls/CasetaWireless/ModelNumbers.aspx#

If you have a Lutron SmartBridge pro rather than the regular Lutron smart bridge, there is a community created integration which would let you use the pico’s in a way that SmartThings would know about the button pushes , but that one requires also setting up a raspberry pi as a “man in the middle” server. So there are some community members using it, but you do need a strong technical background.

3 Likes

Just to add to what @JDRoberts said, my integration does allow Picos to act as button devices in ST. And actually I’m currently testing a new version that is vastly easier to install. It still needs an always on device like a raspberry pi or your PC but the setup takes just a few minutes now. I hope to test a little more and release it soon.

4 Likes

Adding the Fibaro keyfob

1 Like

Has anyone come across this device?

https://www.tronika.no/no/zwave-kontrollere/1003-veggkontroller-zwc-k8.html

Going to be a bit tricky to integrate it with SmartThings and keep the app in sync. It’s intended as a standalone local controller.

ZWC-K8 Wall Mounted Controller doesn’t support Z-Wave network administration and scene activation features. Can work only through direct association with controlled device.

It says the opposite in the instruction manual!

“The Wall Controller does not support Z-Wave network administrator features and will always need a Master Z-Wave network controller to be included into a Z-Wave network.”

It’s not a primary controller, which is why it needs to be part of the network established by another controller. Being added to that network is what allows it to control the end devices, the actual lights, but it does that through association in five different association groups. It’s not using central scene commands.

So you’d have to add the SmartThings hub to each of the five association groups and deal with it like a button controller.

I honestly don’t know whether SmartThings let you add the hub to two different association groups for the same device or not.

But let’s take further discussion of this specific device to a new thread just about that device, we’re kind of getting off topic for this FAQ, which is just supposed to have links to buttons and remotes which are already known to work with smartthings. :sunglasses:

Why is it so hard to just have a simple button? I want to integrate to my doorbell but it seems I’m stuck doing some DIY.

Does the Aeotec doorbell fit to a UK socket?

1 Like

You also have to get one that is on the UK Z wave frequency, assuming of course that you have the UK version of the SmartThings hub.

Aeotec did make a UK version of the doorbell, but only sold it for a few months, and I don’t think you’ll be able to find one now unless it’s on eBay or someplace like that.

There are a couple of alternatives to consider. The Aeotec panic button is a single button key fob which can easily be wallmounted, and should work quite well as long as it is somewhat sheltered:

Also, both Ring and Skybell sell their video doorbells for the U.K. market. These cost more, but of course are offering many more features, most obviously the video, but also audio. And there is an official SmartThings integration.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/214288206-Ring-Doorbell

There are also other button devices listed above that are available in the UK. Such as the fibaro button and the Nodon button Personally, I don’t find the aesthetics of those as good for a doorbell as the Aeon panic button, but different people like different things. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just an update: the Flic button is now being sold in the U.K. as well.

All of the caveats as noted above (I can no longer edit that post or I would add this to it).

The company has announced that it is developing a standalone bridge that would mean you no longer need a phone/tablet at home to make the buttons work, they would have their own Internet access through the bridge. But that piece is not out yet and I don’t know if they’re intending to release it in the US and the UK at the same time or just start with the US.

Appreciate the comments. Might take a look at that panic button. If it isn’t too expensive then it could be an option. Although the aeon looked good for use as a speaker too - eg notifications while our phones are off or on silent, plus I also want a normal chime if possible.

Ring etc are a lot more than I’d like to pay and at least ring doesn’t even have a normal bell - you’re reliant on phone notifications which seems crazy to me. Home automation is great but you also need a home that can be used by people that don’t have apps installed.

1 Like

Understood. There are a lot more options for doorbells in the US than there are in the UK, although that’s getting outside the scope of this particular FAQ, which is just about the button devices. So if you’d like to start a new thread we could talk about doorbell chime options in the UK.

Meanwhile, ring does have a chime which works with its doorbell, but it adds an additional £25. :disappointed_relieved: Still, there will be some people who just want the problem solved and are willing to pay the extra, so I mention it here: