FAQ: Door sensors? (2021)

Hi… I am using SmartThings hub2 for my door lock and switch… need suggestions for door sensors

What country are you in? The device selection does vary. :sunglasses:

North America

You have a plethora of zwave and zigbee contact sensor to choose from, just search Amazon as a starting point:

Monoprice 15270 Z-Wave Plus contact sensors and Ecolink Z-Wave Plus contact sensors have a 7-10 yr battery life (depending on usage).

The Monoprice 15270 has an added advantage that it can be triggered using an external wired sensor. So if you have an existing wired sensor connected to your door (from a security system or older houses or just need something wired externally), you can hook it up to this device.

1 Like

Ok, Different things work for different people. Are you looking for very cheap Sensors? Do you care whether it’s Z wave or zigbee or something else? Do you care what they look like? there are a lot of different choices and probably a dozen existing threads in the forum about contact sensors.

Why don’t you start with the device class features FAQ and read the posts on contact sensors so you get an idea what the different kinds of features and shapes might be:

Bulbs, switches and sensors, oh my....what to buy (device class features FAQ) - #15 by JDRoberts

If you’re looking to buy in bulk:

Recommendation for contact sensors, in bulk?

Or if you just want very inexpensive Sensors:

Needing cheap contact sensor? (2020)

And this one was from somebody who was specifically looking for small size sensors:

2019 Door/Window Sensors with Good Battery Life?

1 Like