SmartThings Community

FAQ: CONFIRMED: Local Processing - Working Device Handlers

(Mark) #122

There probably are reasons. They may not be technical and they haven’t explained them. But that doesn’t mean they don’t have a good reason, from their perspective at least.

There’s been plenty of discussion and theories on this forum as to why for years. A popular one seems to relate to the data (about you) they can collect if everything is cloud-based and then sell. But that’s just a theory as far as I know.

Either way, this is not a new issue, it’s been baked into ST since they were funded on kickstarter.

(John C) #123

This is the kind of customer-facing change that should be listed in published release notes! Sure, it takes time & engineers are notoriously not fans of paperwork :flushed: (Disclaimer: spent my career as either an engineer or managing same).

Come ON, guys: pony up, LOL :grin::yum::sunglasses:

(SimonS) #124

I have no doubt it’s about the data mining. I also knew it isn’t a new issue. It just doesn’t fit with all the other benefits (mainly community based and open platform) of this platform.

(SimonS) #125

I would like to add to the list a Zooz ZEN22 v2 dimmer switch. When first added, SmartThings picks DTH “Z-Wave Dimmer Switch Generic” - cloud. Zooz provides custom DTH - also cloud. But when changed to “Dimmer Switch” - bingo, local execution. Not much of the custom settings are lost with this DTH - I can still control LED behavior.

(DavidK) #126

@JDRoberts
Question on aeon mínimote.

On my dashboard it still shows local.

Did I not get the update you mentioned? Is the status inaccurate?

Am I mis-understanding your post with respect to aeon and local processing?

Thanks

(Allan) #127

It’s not really the device you have, its the handler from what I understand. You could buy any dimmer switch and if it works with the “Dimmer Switch” handler then it should run local.

You can also use a custom handler that gives you the ability to change more options and switch back. For example there is a Enhanced GE dimmer handler out there that lets you change the ramp rates. You can install that, change the ramp rates on the dimmer, then switch back to the generic. You will be back to local control but your settings, since they reside in the switch, will stay.

(SimonS) #128

Right, I stated that. I was looking for this information before purchase and could not find it anywhere. So hopefully it will be helpful for someone.

Now regarding the ramp rates - I actually find it annoying how slow (both my GE and Zooz dimmers are). However, the Zooz manual clearly states ramping rates can not be adjusted, like a warning. Could there be a [electrical] reason for that? Am I safe to try the advanced GE handler?

(Allan) #129

If they state it can’t be adjusted then they probably didn’t expose the parameters like GE did. I.e. At best it’s not going to work, at worst you’ll ruin your dimmer.

The change is the device type handler. So if you have an old minimote that is using the old handler, it will still run local.

But if for any reason you have to uninstall and reinstall your minimote, it will probably pick up the new handler, and then it would shift to being cloud.

And if you buy a new minimote, it will use the cloud handler.

@djsvetljo If you want to change the parameters on the switch and they aren’t already exposed in the device type handler that you are using, then it would be best to temporarily use the Z wave tweaker DTH. This will tell you exactly which parameters that specific device has and let you change them. So there won’t be any confusion. Then after you set the parameters the way you want, just go back to using your regular DTH. The tweaker works by first asking the device what options it offers, so you can use it with any mains powered Z wave device. It’s very cool. :sunglasses:

(SimonS) #132

Thanks. So I am trying that now but al lit gives me is Parameters 1-20, no explanation of what parameter is what. GE dimmer. What am I missing?

You have to find out from the manufacturer what each of the parameters does and what values it can be sent to.

Here’s the GE page:

http://www.ezzwave.com/advanced-operation/

(David Lam) #134

Looks like the Bosch Motion Sensor does not work with the SmartSense Motion Sensor. The battery and temp is not shown as well as the motion sensor is more grayed out but i believe it still detects motion.

(Richard Wooley) #135

I am having a difficult time determining what sensor, if any, would attach to the dry contact outputs of an existing alarm system and trigger a Smart LIghting LOCAL Automation. Seems like a fairly common requirement, but I get very confused when I try to match Dry Contact sensing with SmartThings V2 hub and Smart Lighting support.

Has anyone ever accomplished this?

My driveway alarm system also has the option of variable time 12 volt output in addition to dry contact outputs.

(Simon) #136

A couple of options are the Fibaro Universal sensor or the Fibaro Door / Window sensor (the older one). both have dry contact input which could trigger a lighting automation. The other option os to modify any sensor with a reed switch by soldering your across the reed.

@RobinWinbourne pointed out in another thread that after a recent platform update, a number of additional zigbee device type handlers can now run locally, as well as a few LAN devices like Phillips hue bulbs attached to a Phillips hue bridge.

Hub Firmware Release Notes - 19.17

(Amekouar) #138

If you change the type of Zigbee things from the manufacturer default type to a generic type, these things become local.
For example, I have an Osram outlet and light bulb, when paired for the first time to my ST hub they were running in the cloud, Then I edited the type to generic zigbee and now they are running local, no need to buy expensive Aeon! problem solved.

Sorry for being MIA the last few months. Just updated the main post with the current list and additional details as well since ST is now showing more info on Local Processing. Enjoy

Here is the old list from Janurary 2017 (for reference purposes):

Aeon Home Energy Meter
Aeon Home Energy Meter + C3
Aeon Illuminator Module
Aeon Key Fob
Aeon Minimote
Aeon Multisensor
Aeon Multisensor Gen5
Aeon Outlet
Aeon Siren

Arrival Sensor

CentraLite Thermostat

Dimmer Switch

Fortrezz Water Valve

GE Link Bulb

SmartAlert Siren

SmartPower Dimming Outlet
SmartPower Outlet
SmartPower Outlet V1

SmartSense Camera
SmartSense Garage Door Multi
SmartSense Garage Door Sensor Button
SmartSense Moisture
SmartSense Moisture Sensor
SmartSense Motion
SmartSense Motion Sensor
SmartSense Multi
SmartSense Multi Sensor
SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor
SmartSense Temp/Humidity
SmartSense Temp/Humidity Sensor
SmartSense Virtual Open/Closed

Z-Wave Controller
Z-Wave Device
Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor
Z-Wave Garage Door Opener
Z-Wave Lock
Z-Wave Metering Switch
Z-Wave Motion Sensor
Z-Wave Relay
Z-Wave Remote
Z-Wave Sensor
Z-Wave Siren
Z-Wave Smoke Alarm
Z-Wave Switch
Z-Wave Virtual Momentary Contact Switch
Z-Wave Water Sensor

(Jason) #140

Great work on checking this out. It’s a shame ST doesn’t publish an official list like this.

What would be the advantage of using the Z-Wave Switch Generic over the Z-Wave Switch? I know I loose the ability to set the LED indicator, but I gain “Execute Commands Locally.” What does that actually mean? I didn’t know there were two levels of “local” device handlers.

(Tanel Võsumaa) #141

I would also like to know what the difference is between “Execute Commands Locally” and “Run Locally”.