FAQ: CONFIRMED: Local Processing - Working Device Handlers

Killin’ my dream man :cry:

I know I know… and I’m sure usage data is being sold to various companies too… Look, if we built this badger…

1 Like

Any plans to get Hue hub integration to local processing?

Smart lighting smartapp and quite a few local device handler for zwave devices gets the job done. Only issue with my setup is that I have hue lights and no zwave lights so cannot make it local processing.

For some reason my router stopped working at night which killed all automation so no motion activated lights and some temperature based automation. Thats when you see how important local automation is.

I do not think that hue hub integration is possible.
Hue processing is done by different company and always will be cloud to cloud.
Same with Amazon Echo, Ecobee, Harmony remote, everything what is on own hub will be always cloud to cloud.
Local processing can be now done only if all (device, handler, app) is local supported.

Actually, the SmartThings/Hue integration was originally cloud to cloud, but in 2016 the two companies worked together and came up with an official LAN integration. However, it still requires that your SmartThings hub have access to your SmartThings cloud account in order to authenticate the messages. Which seems weird, but there it is.

As far as whether it will ever actually be “local” in the sense that it will run if the SmartThings cloud account is not available, we have no way of knowing. That’s up to the company, and they don’t announce that kind of stuff ahead of time.

(Also, I know no one but me cares about this, so feel free to ignore it, but the Hue device is technically a “bridge” not a “hub.” Plus it says “Bridge” on the box. :wink: There is no “Hue Hub.” But like I said, nobody but me cares about that, so carry on.)

4 Likes

Again it depends on the device and have seen vera and homeseer both do it offline without any internet connection. I believe if smartthings want to make it offline they can do it as well.

Harmony remote can control Hue hub when there is no internet, I have tried it at home and works flawlessly.

Echo and google home on the other hand does not work at all if you do not have internet.

1 Like

My apologies, I meant Hue bridge! I remember you mentioning it somewhere on the smarthings forum as well

Good to know, hope they can do something like harmony hub!

1 Like

Hi guys,

Why you keep saying that local processing is working?
Regardless what I do, nothing works locally.
For example I set the confirmed smart app Smart Lighting with other confirmed devices for local processing, a SmartSense Motion to turn on a SmartPower Outlet. They do nothing. They are working only when have internet in the hub.

Can somebody help me to set to set any of confirmed devices from the SmartThings box - for local processing - to work each other without internet(ethernet cable) in the hub?

I attached bellow the images with the devices implied.

Thank you.

I’m sure that’s very frustrating. I think you’ll have to talk to support on that one, because it looks like you have them set up correctly for local operation. So they will have to check things from their side.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

Also, just to be sure, you are still leaving the hub itself on power when you do your test, correct? That is, you are just unplugging the hub from your ethernet router. You still have the hub plugged into power or running on batteries for your local test.

Yes, of course JDRoberts, only the ethernet cable is unplugged. The power is plugged (also with the 4 batteries up and running).

Thank you. I will write to support.

1 Like

Can take a look at your account if you want (I’m the Team Lead for Local Execution Engine) to try and figure out why its misbehaving. Just need your permission and username - feel free to send it over DM if you want me to look.

2 Likes

Looks like there is an issue with settings not being cleared correctly when updating Lighting Automation - I was able to reproduce @daniionescubrasov 's issue with the following steps:

1. Install a Lighting Automation rule (Turn on GE Link DayLight Bulb when Sengled Element Classic turns on)
  2. Update the same Lighting Automation rule to use a SmartSense Motion Sensor instead of the Sengled Bulb as a trigger (this should migrate the app to the hub)
  3. App stays installed in the Cloud because the Sengled bulb is still referenced in App settings (though its no longer used as a trigger)

You can tell you got into this state by looking at the Settings page for your Installed Smart App under your Location (Mine is below as an example). This is likely an issue that was introduced recently as we have been overhauling Local Execution lately. Will let support know and start looking at a fix, in the meantime reinstalling your app without selecting cloud devices should do the trick.

1 Like

I create a new automation only with confirmed local processing devices and now it works. The old one that was not working locally it has some cloud devices included and then, even I used only confirmed locally devices, the automation do not worked anymore because was not able to update itself properly. The reminiscence of the cloud devices persist even I delete them from the automation.
So if you want to use local processing do it from the scratch only with confirmed local processing devices or DHs.

It is this the same sensor with the Samsung SmartThings Water Leak Sensor ?
I mean this sensor is compatible with local processing?

THX.

I can confirm the “SmartSense Temp/Humidity Sensor” and “SmartSense Moisture Sensor” (i.e. leak sensor) both run locally. I have 6 leak sensors…bought them after the second house in our new development had a burst pipe that flooded their first floor and basement. Two houses both less then 3 years old out of 90 all the same developer. Figured the money was worth it to get the sensors that run locally if it prevents major water damage.

Also, and @vlad can confirm this, most “generic” devices run locally so if its auto detects and calls it “Z-Wave xxxxx” it should be local. However the generic “Z-Wave Water Valve” does not run locally…my Dome water valve which comes in as just Z-Wave Water Valve says its running in the cloud which doesn’t make much sense. I put in a support request to ask why and they said they would fix it since it should run locally (using the generic device handler provided by SmartThings) but I’m not sure if that means I have to remove and re-add the device or if they just haven’t fixed it yet. They asked me to switch the device handler to the Fortrezzm as a test but its open/close action is opposite of the Dome while the generic DH works fine. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

The ability to run locally is why I switched most of my device handlers back to stock unless it was already cloud based anyway (EccoBee, ST_Anything, etc). So my GE dimmers and fans are using the stock “Dimmer Switch”, all my temp/humidity/multi sensors are using the stock “SmartSense” DH. I also try to use Smart Lighting and Smart Home Monitor for all my automations, even though they are limited. Overall things run noticeably faster this way and I like knowing if my internet is down most stuff will still work.

7 Likes

You live in Mt. Washington?

Ohio. But I think developers are the same everywhere…cheapest material and labor they can find.

Have anyone confirmed:
Aeon Labs DSC18103-ZWUS or DSC26103-ZWUS micro switches or DSC27103-ZWUS (micro dimmer) to be locally executable?

Further more, will the new Aeotec nano switch work locally (with a default device handler perhaps):
https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Switch-controller-Z-Wave-wall/dp/B06XWT1L5S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1501495135&sr=8-2&keywords="nano+switch"&linkCode=sl1&tag=sso0e-20&linkId=447170002126c0cc7cc0aa41a3b8521d#Ask

Just a note that whenever SmartThings updates the stock device type handlers they will then not run local until they are distributed in a future hub firmware update.

For example, as of this writing, 12 September 2017, the Aeotec minimote and Aeotec key fob using the most current stock device type handlers are Not running locally because the device type handlers were recently updated.

Since as far as I know SmartThings doesn’t publish a list when device type handlers are updated, there’s no way to know if you’re caught in this in between situation without checking your own IDE to see if a new device is running locally or not. :disappointed_relieved:

@slagle

2 Likes

This is not good.
1 month into SmartThings ownership and I can see this local/cloud esecution as a MAJOR design flow. It seems like there is no technical reason, they just don’t want it running that way. Reminds me of a Bixby button on Samsung phone :frowning: