SmartThings Community

FAQ: CONFIRMED: Local Processing - Working Device Handlers

I tested it and it works! I used the GE device type with cree bulbs and used smart lighting to turn lights on with motion from a z wave motion sensor. I also did the same but with a smartsense open/close sensor. I then plugged the ethernet cable out of the ST hub and both automation still worked! Good find indeed!

Just an observation…I use minimotes programed to turn on and set light level depending on the time of night. With the original cree DT if the bulb was manually set to 1% and then turned off, of I turned the light on with the minimote which sets it to 60% it would go to 60% immediately. What I’ve noticed with the GE DT is that the bulb turns on to the last % first then fades up or down to the new %. So pressing the minimote in the same scenario, the light turns in to 1% then ramps up to 60% in about 2 seconds. Minor, but it’s something I’ll need to get use to.

Using smart lighting I setup my minimotes to run locally! This works with the GE DT with the Cree Bulbs. I can turn lights on and off even without the hub having a network connection. I have 2 tp-link smart switches I use for 2 fans and a z-wave dual relay that I use on a ceiling fan. Those are the only devices that don’t run locally for me now.

This is all intriguing to me, if so much can be run locally, without lag or issue, why is so much being processed over the Internet by force?

SmartThings was originally designed as a cloud-based architecture. Everything which runs locally has to be pushed out to every single hub as part of the hub firmware. That seems to be the biggest reason why it’s so limited right now.

(DavidK) #24

@JDRoberts

After reading your comment I realize the importance of this because I was assuming that using the built-in device type meant local processing.

But this is not always true.

using built-in device handler <> does NOT ensure local processing

Osram mini garden spots, using what I think are built-in device type.

They are not listed as local.

So, I guess these will wait until this device type gets pushed by smartthings to my hub?

Been thinking about it, and while I understand having main device types and officially supported devices in the firmware, couldn’t they simply make the hub sync all DT’s, DH’s and SA’s code for each person’s account at boot and whenever there’s a change in the code? I know what I’ve said sounds very simplistic but it should still be easier than processing everything in the cloud for all customers. The code used by my devices should take up a tiny amount of memory and while some people have a lot of devices, they have a lot of the same device type like 10 cree bulbs for example. Plus the hub has usb ports. It could download all the necessary code for my individual hub to an encrypted file on a USB flash drive which is kept in sync with the cloud and is loaded into memory at boot.

Again, I know it’s simplistic but sometimes a simple approach can work lol.

Anyhow, I’ll try not to write many more of these long posts in this thread (lol) but thanks to the OP for his time doing trial and error. This has made my ST experience much better as I used to worry about my fiance being home and there’s an Internet issue and her not being able to operate the lights and me in turn getting cussed out lol.

(Michael Hess) #26

There are two ways this can work with the cloud element. All actions are carried out on the device, with all the software downloaded to it, then when something happens it updates the cloud. This means the cloud is just a check/balance thing, and would allow external stuff, ifttt, etc. I wish it was this way.

The second way is to have the cloud be the conductor, with only the bare essentials happening locally. This wouldn’t work with everything on the device, and trying to have logic on it as well, the delay to the cloud and back would cause all manor of havoc.

I would LOVE all the DTH’s to be in the device, and CoRE ;), but honestly I don’t see that happening, too many more moving parts and possible troubles.

Here’s the discussion thread for the details of local processing. I agree we shouldn’t clutter this thread with those. :sunglasses:

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #28

That was the originally intended design, but couldn’t be implemented. Instead, the Hub uses a monolithic firmware of sorts that has all supported local code hard-compiled so it is the same for everyone.

But that makes it too big (and risky) to include arbitrary DTHs and SmartApps and, so far, no way to customize for individual customers.

(ilker Aktuna) #29

Hi,

I’m interested in local processing. However, I don’t know where to start.
How can I ;

• find out if my hub supports local processing ?
  • how can I change my devices & apps to local processing ?
  • find out advantages/disadvantages ?

Thanks.

My minimote is not running locally. Can you tell me how you got your’s to work locally?

If you have the V2 version of the hub (The current model), it supports a very limited amount of local processing. The V1 version of the hub does not support local processing at all.

The only app that can run locally at present is the official smartlighting feature, and then only if that Smart lighting automation is using devices that have a device type handler which is eligible to run locally and not using any device type handlers which are not eligible to run locally. See the list at the top of this thread for the ones that are eligible to run locally.

Also, some of the smart home monitor features run locally, but not all of them.

Nothing else runs locally. No custom code, no custom device type handlers, no other Smartapps.

If you set up a smart lighting automation that uses only devices using the device type handlers mentioned at the top of this thread, it should run locally. That’s it.

To keep from cluttering up this FAQ thread, I suggest taking any follow-up questions (other than the specifics of which device type handlers run locally) to the discussion topic for local processing:

It should run locally if you’re using the stock device handler. If you are using any of the enhanced button controller Device type handlers, it won’t run locally.

This is running locally for me:

Thanks. You were correct. I had switched them to a custom device handler along with my Cree bulbs during the last outage. Now they are back on standard DH.

Rebooted my hub remotely and now they are all showing locally. Will explore my other devices and see what else I can fix.

(ilker Aktuna) #34

Thanks JDRoberts.

I’d like to ask some follow up questions; where can I post them ?

for example

• What does “my minimote isrunning locally” mean ? (since the minimote is using a button controller app, and that app is not an app running locally - not Smart Lighting Automation)
  • How can I understand if my minimote (or other device) is running locally or not ?
  • And what is the main advantage of running locally ? (does that mean , it will run even the HUB is not connected to internet)
  • When new devices and smartapps are supported for local processing, how shall we be notified ?

Post your follow-ups in the following thread (this is a clickable link)

Since there’s not an official list now, I’d guess we won’t be notified. :disappointed_relieved: Will just have to figure it out on our own, as @xtropy has done.

Or maybe someday there will be a list, there’s no telling.

There hasn’t been any official comment one way or another.

(ilker Aktuna) #37

OP says he has personally tested that these show up in the “LocalDevice List”

Where is that list ? How can I see ?

(Bob) #38

Try these.

Local Devices:
US: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localDevice/
UK: https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com/localDevice/

Local SmartApps:
US: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localInstalledSmartApp/
UK: https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com/localInstalledSmartApp/

The Exact link depends on which “shard” your account is associated with.

The community – created wiki keeps the full list, so check there

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=FAQ

That list is incomplete. The community – created wiki has the full set and will update as more are added in the future, so it’s best to check there:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=FAQ