FAQ: CONFIRMED: Local Processing - Working Device Handlers

Thanks. So I am trying that now but al lit gives me is Parameters 1-20, no explanation of what parameter is what. GE dimmer. What am I missing?

You have to find out from the manufacturer what each of the parameters does and what values it can be sent to.

Here’s the GE page:

http://www.ezzwave.com/advanced-operation/

Looks like the Bosch Motion Sensor does not work with the SmartSense Motion Sensor. The battery and temp is not shown as well as the motion sensor is more grayed out but i believe it still detects motion.

I am having a difficult time determining what sensor, if any, would attach to the dry contact outputs of an existing alarm system and trigger a Smart LIghting LOCAL Automation. Seems like a fairly common requirement, but I get very confused when I try to match Dry Contact sensing with SmartThings V2 hub and Smart Lighting support.

Has anyone ever accomplished this?

My driveway alarm system also has the option of variable time 12 volt output in addition to dry contact outputs.

A couple of options are the Fibaro Universal sensor or the Fibaro Door / Window sensor (the older one). both have dry contact input which could trigger a lighting automation. The other option os to modify any sensor with a reed switch by soldering your across the reed.

1 Like

@anon36505037 pointed out in another thread that after a recent platform update, a number of additional zigbee device type handlers can now run locally, as well as a few LAN devices like Phillips hue bulbs attached to a Phillips hue bridge.

Hub Firmware Release Notes - 19.17

2 Likes

If you change the type of Zigbee things from the manufacturer default type to a generic type, these things become local.
For example, I have an Osram outlet and light bulb, when paired for the first time to my ST hub they were running in the cloud, Then I edited the type to generic zigbee and now they are running local, no need to buy expensive Aeon! problem solved.

Sorry for being MIA the last few months. Just updated the main post with the current list and additional details as well since ST is now showing more info on Local Processing. Enjoy

Here is the old list from Janurary 2017 (for reference purposes):

Aeon Home Energy Meter
Aeon Home Energy Meter + C3
Aeon Illuminator Module
Aeon Key Fob
Aeon Minimote
Aeon Multisensor
Aeon Multisensor Gen5
Aeon Outlet
Aeon Siren

Arrival Sensor

CentraLite Thermostat

Dimmer Switch

Fortrezz Water Valve

GE Link Bulb

SmartAlert Siren

SmartPower Dimming Outlet
SmartPower Outlet
SmartPower Outlet V1

SmartSense Camera
SmartSense Garage Door Multi
SmartSense Garage Door Sensor Button
SmartSense Moisture
SmartSense Moisture Sensor
SmartSense Motion
SmartSense Motion Sensor
SmartSense Multi
SmartSense Multi Sensor
SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor
SmartSense Temp/Humidity
SmartSense Temp/Humidity Sensor
SmartSense Virtual Open/Closed

Z-Wave Controller
Z-Wave Device
Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor
Z-Wave Garage Door Opener
Z-Wave Lock
Z-Wave Metering Switch
Z-Wave Motion Sensor
Z-Wave Relay
Z-Wave Remote
Z-Wave Sensor
Z-Wave Siren
Z-Wave Smoke Alarm
Z-Wave Switch
Z-Wave Virtual Momentary Contact Switch
Z-Wave Water Sensor
2 Likes

Great work on checking this out. It’s a shame ST doesn’t publish an official list like this.

What would be the advantage of using the Z-Wave Switch Generic over the Z-Wave Switch? I know I loose the ability to set the LED indicator, but I gain “Execute Commands Locally.” What does that actually mean? I didn’t know there were two levels of “local” device handlers.

2 Likes

I would also like to know what the difference is between “Execute Commands Locally” and “Run Locally”.

1 Like

Tagging @slagle @duncan

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localDevice/list

I think this is list of all device handlers ( not just what you use) and if they are local or not

Device Type Run Locally Execute Commands Locally Minimum HubCore Version
LAN Hue Color Temperature TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
ZigBee RGB Bulb TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
ZigBee RGBW Bulb TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
ZigBee Switch Power TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
Z-Wave Switch Generic TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
Nortek Panel Device TRUE TRUE n/a
Z-Wave Dimmer Switch Generic TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
ZigBee Dimmer Power TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
Simulated Switch TRUE TRUE 000.020.00008
LAN Hue Extended Color TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
ZigBee Switch TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
Simulated Dimmer Switch TRUE TRUE 000.020.00008
Aeon Multisensor 6 TRUE TRUE 000.020.00008
LAN Hue Bridge TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
Z-Wave Plus Door/Window Sensor TRUE TRUE 000.020.00008
ZigBee Dimmer TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
LAN Hue Dimmable TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
LAN Hue Color TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012
ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb TRUE TRUE 000.019.00012

“Execute Commands Locally” means when a command comes from the mobile client or other cloud source, it’s converted to a Z-Wave/Zigbee command on the hub (like it would be if it came from a hub-local automation) vs. in the cloud handler.

There’s not really an advantage, other than maybe latency. The idea is when we can guarantee that the set of commands a device can get are all implemented locally, we can set that flag and reduce our cloud load from running sandboxed device handler code.

5 Likes

Do the monoprice 4 in 1 motion sensors work locally with any of these device handlers? Even if only motion works that would be fine.

Wow! I hope they release version 000.020.00008 soon since I really want the ‘Simulated Switch’ and other simulated devices that run locally.

I have Osram RGBW and Tunable White bulbs that are all “ZigBee RGBW Bulb” or “ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb” device types. The execution location for all of them says “Cloud”. From what I read here it seems like these should all read “Local”. I am on firmware 19.19, maybe something changed from 19.17?

So guys I’m really new to ST (and in no way a coder). If I can’t copy and paste the commmand… I’M OUT!!!.. So I’m beginning to understand that these smart hubs (wink/Iris/ST etc…) process the commands via the cloud and so the hub is just a go between (am I on the right track)? … So the idea is the “local processing” writes a command to the hub (that resides on the hub), and then allows the hub to process “automated commands” locally, so if the connection to the cloud or internet goes out the automated commands will still process… So how does one write these commands (copy and paste), to the local hub…

Thanks in advance,

PS.Based on what I’ve seen thus far, you guys are amazing :wink:

Please consider starting new threads to ask questions like these. This thread is meant to be about device handlers that are confirmed to be running locally.

1 Like

I have the new Sylvania (formally Orsam) A19 RGBW smart bulbs (see below). My IDE is showing them running locally using the ZigBee RGBW Bulb, and they do turn on and off locally via motion or the Aeon Minimote without the Hub (v19.19) having internet access. My only problem with these smart bulbs is that when using the native SmartThings Smart Lights smartapp to turn them on & set color with motion has major issues. Using motion to just turn them on or turning them on and set level works, it just doesn’t do any color settings automatically with motion efficiently.

SYLVANIA Smart A19 RGBW
ZigBee RGBW Bulb

model: A19 RGBW
application: 01
manufacturer: LEDVANCE
endpointId: 01

Current Version: 0x00102100