FAQ: Best smart light bulbs to use [2015]

Although not perfect, the OSRAM/Sylvania bulbs are pretty reliable once the firmware has been updated to at least version 01020492.

I’m not familiar any routing problems from Ikea and directly connected Hue although that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

One more to add to the problematic list is the Wemo Zigbee Bulb. It uses the same radio as GE Link and the older OSRAM/Sylvania products but doesn’t have a firmware update available to fix this issues.

2 Likes

The Hue problems have been confirmed by several community members, including @JohnR (who created the CoopBoss Device and has authored multiple articles on Zigbee).

For IKEA, I only have the one report from my friend who is a network engineer and has been testing them for an industrial installation. But there aren’t very many people using them yet except with their own controllers.

1 Like

Just came across this information as I am in the market for some smart bulbs. What I am wondering is if the non hues bulbs can be connected to the hue bridge and then used in smartthings. I found this article that explains how to connect non hue bulbs but once they are connected to hue bridge can I then connect them to ST? Also, this is from 2015 so I am wondering what other bulbs can connect to hue bridge? Are there zwave bulbs?
https://www.howtogeek.com/216811/how-to-add-third-party-smart-bulbs-to-your-philips-hue-system/

Some can, some can’t, you just have to check the product descriptions. If a bulb can be used with the hue bridge it will usually say so, since that helps sell more of them.

I believe any bulb that can be connected to the hue bridge will then be available through the official SmartThings/Hue integration. That may not be true of some of the older Philips iris products, and is not true of the “accessories” like the dimmer switch for the motion sensor. But for regular bulbs it should work fine.

I’m having issues getting the OSRAM/Sylvania BR30 color working. With the RGBW DH, I get the UI for it in the app, but the device doesn’t respond to any commands. If I change the DH to Sylvania Ultra iQ, it responds to on/off/brightness from the app, but presents no color control.

I thought that I had the latest firmware (see below), but since you say it should be at least 01020492, maybe not. If doing Check Now for firmware update in IDE doesn’t update it, what does?

Current Version: 0x00102090
Target Version: 0x00102090
Last Updated: N/A
Last Checked: 2018-02-10 1:41 PM EST - Check Now

While my question about the proper firmware level stands, I have resolved the DTH question. Turns out there’s a “Zigbee RGBW Bulb” that I needed instead of “RGBW Bulb”.

1 Like

You have one of the newer models from Sylvania which uses a different numbering scheme for the firmware. It actually uses a totally different Zigbee radio and therefore the firmware is also different. We don’t have any firmware updates for those bulbs yet so you are running the latest version.

1 Like

Hi!friend!I m new here!Nice to meet you all!

I can out-nightmare all of this. A dumb guy builds a brand new smart home utilizing around 80 OSRAM LIGHTIFY bulbs throughout the house. Everything worked VERY well for quite a while, until gradually becoming high maintenance. I am now constantly resetting bulbs on one or more of around 20 circuits I have, and it doesn’t always work. Some circuits seem to be much more reliable than others, but NONE are immune. My watch reads a quarter to snap, and I could really use ANY advice on how to regain the control that I enjoyed so much a year ago.

Hi Everyone…

I am looking for the best Smartthings compatible bulb that is also attractive to look at while switched off. Yes, I could use a smart plug to turn any bulb on/off, but I would like to be able to dim and possibly color change the bulbs too.

I am wanting to place them in outdoor fixtures where the bulb itself is highly visible during the day. They looked particularly nasty as CFL bulbs in the past, but the modern smart bulbs are also not great looking in an old-fashioned fixture. Something a little glitzy or “filament” looking would be better that the white blobs we have now.

Appreciate and thoughts and hope it fits within this thread.

Thomas

Welcome! :sunglasses:

Because of the multiple requirements you have, it would be better to start a new thread. Maybe call it “Outdoor Filament Smart Bulb?” Or something similar. You can put it in this section:

Also, we will need to know what country you are in (the device selection does vary), and which SmartThings hub, if any, that you have.

It would also help to know the typical Winter and Summer weather extremes (temperature and humidity) where you live, as that also affects device selection. :sun_with_face::snowman_with_snow:

Ok… Thanks. I will start a new thread.

1 Like