SmartThings Community

Extreme Makeover: SmartThings Edition

project_wholehouse
project_accessible
buildityourself

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #47

Yes, I’m using CoRE to run almost all of it.

Level one - can be overridden when either switch is on (level one override or level two override)
Level two - activates level one override and can be overridden by level two override turning on
Level three - activates both level one and level two overrides, and has no override.

I’ll post the Pistons here, if @jody.albritton says ok. I do not want to hijack his thread with CoRE discussions.

(MacTechGenius) #48

Just came across this thread and look forward on seeing your system grow! I also have a large system and multiple locations so it’s great to see new products that I can implement.

Can you use the adt panel if you already have a hub?

We went the other direction, mostly to make sure everything would stay low maintenance, and use nonnetworked " lowest common denominator"automation in a couple of places.

For example, we have a smallish laundry room which literally has only the washer/dryer and the supplies closet. Anybody who’s in that area is either passing through or doing laundry. so lots of movement.

We chose a $18 Lutron Maestro nonnetworked motion sensor light switch for that room. It turns on when someone approaches after dark, it turns off after five minutes of no motion. It’s actually one of my housemate’s favorite automations, because when he’s carrying a big basket full of laundry in either direction he doesn’t have to deal with the switch. There’s no cloud factor, there really isn’t anything that can go wrong. And zero maintenance required.

There are a lot of places in the house where that particular switch wouldn’t work well because it’s just not smart enough. But for the laundry room, it was perfect. For us, anyway. :sunglasses:

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #50

I completely agree! I use this same switch in the 1/2 bath in my back hall. It’s mostly used for washing hands and quick pit stops.

I also included a smart switch on the fan, a door contact, and a motion sensor for those guest that are talking a little more time. If the door is closed and there is active motion for 45 seconds, the fan comes on.

It works wonderfully taking a combo of smart devices and not smart devices!

(Jody) #51

Week 4 Extreme Black Friday Edition

This last week was all about lighting and climate control. I finished out my Hue config. This house is odd in that it does not have any overhead lighting in the upstairs bedrooms. I installed wall mounted lamps and hue light strips in each of the bedrooms. All lamps have a hue bulb and every room has a dedicated hue dimmer panel. Downstairs we have a mix of zwave dimmers and switches. In the upstairs living area we have a mix of dimmers, switches, and hue bulbs.

Climate Control

I tried the sensi thermostat because I was interested in getting the integration working for SmartThings, but without a c-wire and running only on batteries the stats never stayed connected to wifi. I switched them out for the GoControl Zwave Thermostat.

The thermostat works well and seems to have good integration with SmartThings and Alexa via ST.

The house has a central heating system (Gas) that is controlled by the upstairs stat and a supplemental gas wall heater that that is controlled by the downstairs thermostat.

I suspect I will be doing some more extensive HVAC work at some point because

A. We don’t have cooling
B. The air return is upstairs and the house was never really zoned for dual climate control.

Echosistant, WebCore, And Voice

I also installed Echosistant and WebCore over the week and experimented with both. I think WebCore will solve some of my heat issues by allowing me to orchestrate the various heating devices based on actual room temps from the Aeon Multi sensors in each room.

My family is still primarily interacting with the house via Alexa. Given the newness of the situations I have not automated much of the lighting.

(Jody) #52

Only for a new location or a re-install situation. They do not co-exist in the same location.

We might want to clarify that “location” in this context has a very specific meaning, that of a sub account to your SmartThings account. It doesn’t mean the physical building. You can have two hubs in the same building, or one hub v two and one of the ADT panels. They just get defined as different “locations.” And They won’t share devices, each has their own devices except for a couple of the LAN integrations like a Hue bridge. ( at least they used to share a Hue bridge, with the most recent changes I’m not sure if they still do.)

Anyway… Along with all of the other pretty amazing things that webcore can do it can in fact have events on one of your “locations” trigger events on one of your other “location.” It requires doing some extra work and setting up virtual devices to be proxies on each hub and it may be more than most people want to do, but it’s not impossible.

Discussion of options with multiple hubs, which should also apply to the ADT panel, are covered in a how to article on automating an out building in the community – created wiki if you’re interested in more details. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Automate_an_Outbuilding

@kamran

(Michael Sammon) #54

@jody.albritton some suggestions. if you ever decide to use a thermostat that requires a c wire then all you need is this product
Venstar ACC0410 Add-A-Wire Accessory for All 24 VAC Thermostats (4 to 5 Wires), White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IF3QXMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rUpgAbXCMF0CX

also for goodnight, its best that you have motion sensors in rooms and if no motion after typical good night time then turn off lights except if party mode

(Jody) #55

I personally would go with a solution like that but the rest of the family still wants a thermostat they can touch. I would go with an ecobee.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #56

I went with the Honeywell 8320 zwave thermostat. At the time they were about 125.00 each, and they came with the add a wire device.

I went with these for several reasons.

• while not smart, they are fully supported by ST and fully programmable through ST.
  • fully programmable at the physical device, in case of system down time
  • works with Alexa
  • not limited to specific external sensors, via ST programming I can use any sensor.
  • instant reaction time in st app
  • got two for the price of one nest

Cons…

• no power monitoring

(Jimmy) #57

@jody.albritton any updates?

(Jody) #58

Yes. I have been neglecting updates on this thread because of travel/work/life. I will get something of an update here this weekend. Cheers.

(Jody) #59

One Year Later

Time surely does fly when you get busy. I guess it’s never too late for an update. When I started this post I completely overhauled my house using the ADT panel and kit for a couple of reasons. One I wanted to have a full test environment with many devices, and two, I felt we needed an alarm system. After a year I can say the ADT panel probably makes sense if you want a self contained system that you can pretty much set and forget. I decided to pull the ADT panel and exchange it for a new hub V3 which means a new rebuild, I also chose to do this entirely using our new app just to see what the experience was like. NOTE It is still the ST recommendation to keep using the classic app until we tell everyone to start moving over.

So what stayed and what changed?

I made the choice to use the new app so that meant cutting out a lot of custom DTHs and SmartApps. The good news is that we now have good coverage for most of the zwave devices I own right out of the box. Every room has a

1. GE ZWave Switch or Dimmer
  2. Aeon Labs Multi Sensor Gen 6
  3. Hue Bulbs
  4. An Amazon Device (Dot, Echo, Show)

That’s is pretty much the stock room setup. There are other areas of the House that have different devices now.

Hallway

1. Amazon Fire HD with Echo Show Doc
  2. Nest Protect
  3. Amcrest Camera
  4. Sonos Speaker

Sonos has an integration built in already and is supported in the new app. For the camera and the Nest Protect I created my own C2C devices using our new API. Eventually this should be fully supported once we have Nest support.

https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com/develop/guides/cloud2cloud/c2c-basics.html

Entry

1. Ring Doorbell

Ring is supported

People

1. Life360
  2. SmartThings Tracker
  3. SmartThings Button

Garage

1. Linear Zwave Door Control
  2. Amcrest Camera

To be continued…

(Jimmy) #60

Orly? Not sure how much to read into this…

I wasn’t sure what you meant by this. Are you saying with support from Nest, the cloud to cloud integration mentioned in the link will be fully supported? What do you mean by fully supported?

(Jody) #62

We are working on an official Nest integration but it’s release will depend on many factors and most of them are not technical. To be clear, I am not using any internal build of that future integration, I rolled my own using the nest API and our own open C2C API. In my case it was fairly straightforward given all I needed was Smoke/C02 monitoring. It was, for me, an exercise of building something that uses our new C2C API.

Are you able to provide any further info, as far as possible supported Nest devices and their capabilities within SmartThings? My apologies if this is going off topic.

(Jody) #64

Nope. I know that it is being developed, but I don’t know when or if it will finally be released. We want to support everything. In the mean time, there are a couple of community based solutions that bring Nest support to ST

How did you secure your dock to the wall?

(Jody) #66

I used some 1x4 and made an L bracket wall mount.Then I drilled two small holes in the show doc kickstand and screwed that to the wall mount.