Expose Onkyo A/V receiver functionality as a series of switches - HOWTO?

I have an Onkyo A/V receiver that is controllable using commands sent over the network. I’m writing a node.js proxy that converts the proprietary Onkyo command set into http commands which are more consumable by ST.

What I would like to do is expose various basic functions of the device (on/off, volume, input select) as a series of switches. On/Off is obviously a regular on/off switch, volume would be a “dimmer” that toggles mute when it is off, and input select would be a series of momentary switches. I then want to use these switches to allow control of the receiver via Google Home voice commands.

My question is how do I go about exposing multiple “switches” for a single device? Will a single DTH be able to expose all these switches so that they all show up as separate Things in ST when the device is added? Or is it not so straightforward?

Not sure if this will help, but here is an example of an Onkyo DTH somebody else put together:

Did you ever make any progress on this?

I have the Onkyo TX-NR585 and have not had any luck making the OnkyoIP.groovy work. Any suggestions would be awesome.
Edit: I had the wrong IP address. it does work for the TX-NR585

2 Likes

one week I try but without success… please help me step by step :frowning:

I arrived at this post starting from Begging for Onkyo Help:

Granzy consigliava di seguire questa procedura:
Expose Onkyo A/V receiver functionality as a series of switches - HOWTO?

I would like to submit my problem in the hope that someone will be able to clarify my big problem in using my Onkyo TX-NR636 with SmartThings

I did exactly what was requested but it doesn’t work.
I bring you all the information of what I did, maybe I did something wrong:

I created the Device Handler by simply copying the code from here:

I pasted it on code, I do “create” , “save” and “Publish for me”

I created the device from my control panel:
https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com/device/list

Name Onkyo TX-NR636
Label Onkyo TX-NR636
Type onkyoIP (Device Handlers)
Version Published
Device Network Id C0A80107:EAE0
Status ACTIVE
Data No data found for device
Execution Location Cloud

The device is added, I see it among my devices from the app, but whatever I press does not work, nothing happens.
Being in Italy I use SmartThings on European servers, among the messages I only see American users. Could it be that this device handler only works for America?

Granzy helped me a lot and we did a lot of tests, but we had to give up because we don’t know what to try anymore.

your onkyo work fine with new app? I ask becouse today I try again, and now work… not fine mut work… i can power off, but after now power on again. This is the only button work, with the same for the volume, dusplay only 0%, i can remove volume but not turn on volume mute. I do not understand if is my problem or a problem with the new app.
I hope you can help me to understand