I have various smart devices for an year now - Belkin, Philips, Samsung, Aeotec - all spectrum of devices (bulbs, sensors, hubs, switches,…) + all spectrum of techs (Zigbee, zWave, WiFi) , spent like $3000+ for ~100 of them.
Here are major pros & cons and request how to improve cons:
- Ability to monitor and command from distance
- Increase comfort while in the location
- Monitoring coditions unable to do before
- Extremely unreliable systems (plaqued by constant random connectivity problems, fake alarms, bulbs default on, switches default off, systems completly caput when no internet, etc. )
- I am more involved serve to the smart devices rather than vice versa (constant need of reconfigurations, reconnects, manually monotoring whether devices are really on/off, etc.)
- Give developers way to obtain signal strenght between devices and hub. (otherwise no sane way to troubleshoot the issues)
- Give “execution on hub” without cloud need. I know ypu procraimed the idea “it is comming”, but nothing by now - just promises, no ETA, nothing.
- Give us reliable way to track when there are power outages. Hub with batteries and usually connected to UPS does not allow to tell devices like switches command to act upon electricity back.
- Reconsider the idea for min 1 min between automated tasks. That guess was done due to cloud communication obligatory requirement, so if you solve prev point, no need of such restriction.
- Organize much better the way you work with developers and communities. Curently it is uter mess - info spread here and there, same clones of code all over the net, developer community very disorganized, etc.
- Communicate what you are doing out there. Nothing as bugs tracking, upcomming changes, beta version and testing (u really think that the fat pay customers should be your beta testers?)
- The documentation sux - so basic you need to redone it from ground. And need for “best pactices coding” inside - more snipets, etc.
Perhaps more to be added, but that comes from the top of my mind.
And that is growing, do not put heads in the sand: http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2016/01/smart-things-unreliable.html
PS: I’m BIG fan of Samsung - ownig like 15 TVs in my houses, 2 hubs v2, 30+ Samsung smart devices, many appliances. Do not betray my trust. And other Samsung fans’ !