Expandable Zigbee Repeater Solution (With Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Light sensors)

@Awas, the short answer is I do not know.

The long answer is that the new App will work with existing device. In the future (not at this migration stage), the custom driver may not work anymore. I am not 100% sure for Zigbee device. The child device driver for expansion may still work at this coming classic to new app migration. There may be some small changes on DTH meta data is needed.

The future ST migration stage probably is more challenging for us. The classic deprecation in theory should still support us.

Obviously, I am not an expert on the classic to new app details. I could probably wrong.

I will try to keep up with ST if the conversion do not require significant effort.

Thanks
Iman

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-smartthings-white-a19-smart-led-bulb-white/6348264.p?skuId=6348264&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=951&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1268652&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtsv7BRCmARIsANu-CQfu46AaR3vk6WfG5L2Yki0aJwLclV58DudgtzrHiJFcD2duq8YH43AaAjLAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is this device used as 1 zigbee repeater?

I apologize for the late reply. It is a Zigbee repeater. As a repeater it should be able to help extend the reach of your Zigbee mesh.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

I’m wondering if there is a way to use an external probe for testing soil temp/moisture/(maybe even luminosity). I 'd like to have a tester in each of my grow tents that have sensor leads to multiple plant pots that I could then use to control water delivery exhaust fan and light level. If I could run 4-8 sensor probes off each zigbee repeater, it could be a great system that could be sold for all kinds of commercial or large personal grow systems. I’m also think I could use it outside in my garden running off low voltage lighting system to control automatic watering system I use that is a smart control system. There are so many possibilities if you could have multiple soil sensor probes running off one of these little devices. I’m willing to help out in any way I can if you are interested in this use case.

@Daniel_Dawson, thanks for looing into my project. I hope that we can help each others. For your grow tent, I think there are a couples solution that we can do.

The module have UART expansion. You can add an Arduino. I have an example above on thread 414 connecting to DS18B20 as an example. We can replace the DS18B20 with any sensor you may need. There are many Arduino sensor out there. A bit of coding is needed to package those data and send it back to the hub.

Another option is to use Bluetooth. I have a daughter Bluetooth card that connect to serial port. It act as a BLE gateway. One of the device that I have supported is the following device. If you do not mind going to ebay, these sensor is known as Xiaomi Flora. It comes with Moisture, temperature, fertility and illumination.

The battery live is surprisingly excellent. It has been a couple years. I have not replace the battery yet. The range is not that great. Depending on the size of are of your pots and how open it is, you may need a few gateways. The gateway can listen to multiple of this “flora” devices easily.

Here is a video that I made. The video is made on Hubitat hub which has very similar framework to ST at this point. Please note as ST is moving on new path. I am not sure yet whether I am going to support my devices on ST. I have to see how much time and investment that I need to make for my device to work in ST in the future.

Let me know whether there are some of the solution is close to what you can work with.

Thanks
Iman

@Alwas is using @iharyadi’s sensor with a soil moisture sensor:

1 Like

Hi @iharyadi, to get the various child devices displaying correctly in the new app, @mvevitsis walked me through how to do it, many thanks. You delete these 2 lines from the parent dth.

componentName: componentName,
componentLabel: “${device.displayName} $childDH”])

So this…

def childDevice = childDevices.find{item-> return item.deviceNetworkId == "${device.deviceNetworkId}-$childDH"}
if(!childDevice)
{
    childDevice = addChildDevice("iharyadi", 
                                 "$childDH", 
                                 "${device.deviceNetworkId}-$childDH", null,
                                 [completedSetup: true, 
                                  label: "${device.displayName} $childDH",
                                  isComponent: false, 
                                  componentName: componentName, 
                                  componentLabel: "${device.displayName} $childDH"])

}

return childDevice?.configure_child()

becomes this…

def childDevice = childDevices.find{item-> return item.deviceNetworkId == "${device.deviceNetworkId}-$childDH"}
    if(!childDevice)
    {
        childDevice = addChildDevice("iharyadi", 
                                     "$childDH", 
                                     "${device.deviceNetworkId}-$childDH", null,
                                     [completedSetup: true, 
                                      label: "${device.displayName} $childDH",
                                      isComponent: false, 
                                      ])

}

return childDevice?.configure_child()
}

Save and publish, delete the children, then create them again. It’s very strange having an extra 15 devices show correctly in the new app! :+1:

2 Likes

@Alwas & @mvevitsis Thank you for tracking down this issue. I have updated the DTH in github.

1 Like

I’ll check these out. Thanks

@iharyadi just received my new sensor to go along with the others I’ve purchased, great little device!

Is there something I could try to modify in DTH to get the sensor to show temperature vice humidity in the new Smartthings app on the main tile?
SmartSelect_20201121-164720_SmartThings

If not or your not sure, it’s no big deal. Just curious??

Hi Don,

I am sorry for the late reply. It has been busy weekend. I do not know how to change the tile yet on the new GUI. I am learning as we go with the new transition. Once I find out, I will let you know.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

Thank you, and your reply was not late. Lots going on everywhere anymore.

1 Like

Effective this morning (12/16) my classic app quit working with a message to move to the new app… Is it just me or are others seeing the same???

The Classic App is no more…may it R.I.P.

Given the shutdown of SmartThings Classic is there any way to enable the new application to include the pressure data? I have tried to research this issue with little luck…

1 Like

The data for the pressure itself is still there. I believe the sensor is still reporting it. I can see it on the web portal as well.

ST GUI have a lot of changes. It seems the concept of tile where the old DTH have control of what to display is gone. None of the code that specify the diagnostic attribute show up.

I can’t promise you that I can find a new solution quickly. But, I will try to find a way to learn the new ST GUI display the “custom attributes”. Pressure is never part of built in attribute even on the Old GUI. The old gui has a concept of “Tile” which a DTH can control what is being displayed. The new GUI does not take the tile anymore. I believe this is what is going on.

If anyone else who had some some experience with porting the appearance aspect from old GUI to new GUI, I hope you can share tips and trick to expedite my learning process.

Hi @iharyadi, there are a couple of posts about the new custom capabilities, if you read them you will quickly see some of the best minds of these forums having trouble getting things to work, what works one day, doesn’t work the next. Apparently the documentation for developers is incomplete, the whole thing is a mess. If staff members themselves aren’t able to answer questions or the reasons for the anomalies what hope is there for a professional coder used to dealing with logic. You’ve done so much for this community so far, I honestly don’t think it’s worth you wasting your time trying to fathom anything out with it yet, until/if they fix it.

1 Like

@Alwas, As always, I really appreciate your help. I always remember many improvement to my DTH that you sent over. Your effort to find fix for them is something I always will remember.

This time, yes, thanks again for the heads up. I did come across the post about the new capability. I will watch them. When they are ready for prime time and hopefully good and easy example on how to use the new capability, I do really want to get at least the pressure attribute back to the GUI.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

When You say delete the children?? I’m not very smart and not sure what I need to do to make these changes work? I updated to latest DTH just not 100% sure what delete the children means?

The parent is the main environmental sensor, if you have the expanded version, and added any other sensors like water, sound, motion etc they are the children to delete and recreate.

1 Like