FAQ: Exact remote needed to reset Hue bulbs? (UK)

Hub V2 selects a channel on “first boot”.

1 Like

Meaning every time it’s plugged in? Or after setting it up?

Has anyone in the UK tried the Phillips dimmer switch to reset a bulb? Philips says it should work:

I’ve bought some hue white bulbs and didn’t realise they were part of a kit and they must be linked to the hue bridge as they were part of a Hue starter kit.

I don’t have a Hue bridge and just want to use my ST v2 hub in UK.

So what’s the simplest way to reset, anyone in UK for one of the above remotes to reset the Hue bulbs?

Can I buy a 2nd Hue bridge say and reset then that way, then link the Hue bulbs direct to ST hub as I don’t want to use the Hue bridge in normal operation.

Thanks

Anyone help on the above please, I’ve got 2 Hue white doing nothing at the moment.

For clarity, the bulbs were bought off someone, which were part of a starter kit and presume pre paired to the hue bridge it came with.

So I need to reset them, so I can then pair direct to my ST hub v2. I’m in UK.

Thanks

I have purchased a Hue Wireless Dimming Kit in the UK which contains White bulb paired with a Hue remote. I could get the remote paired to ST without any issues, but the bulb was effectively ‘orphaned’ as a standard bulb. As others have experienced, nothing would get it to be discoverable by ST.

Following the thread above, I found a cheap Philips LivingColours Remote and I paired that with the orphaned bulb simply with this video. To reset the bulb I held the On button with Scene 1 together and this reset the bulb. It was immediately discovered by ST.

My ST is on channel 19, and I can’t discover the Philips LivingColours Remote as a thing to connect to my ST, so I’m assuming it’s a channel incompatability issue there. That’s a pity, as you can never have too many remotes!

@denseflux I’m not bothered on using the Philips remote with ST just want to get my Hue white bulbs working.

Is it this remote, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111746139242

So am I right in thinking, as these Hue white bulbs are paired with a Hue bridge, I can reset then with remote, then pair the bulb direct to ST?

Thanks

That’s the question that nobody has answered. (That I’ve seen anyway).
It does work for the hue colour bulb as I purchased one to reset my hue bulb. It worked as described above.
So, if anybody reading this knows how to reset a phillips white bulb (without using a phillips bridge) then your input would be gratefully received by an awful lot of people.

@bobbles @denseflux on his post above it states the Hue dimming kit and the link goes to the Hue white.

I just want a confirmation, before I buy and try that’s all, but yes a lot are waiting for confirmation!

What will/could the difference between the technology on the white and colour though be that it may/may not work?

Thanks

@R2D2, yes, that’s the item I purchased just a few days ago. I was able to reset the bulb and get it detected by my ST hub, where it’s now paired and working. Haven’t had much time to play with it beyond that yet though.

1 Like

Well I bought the round Philips remote. Done the reset, it flashed the bulb, so presume it’s reset.

I now have the bulb in a lamp very close <0.5m from my ST hub.

Switch on the bulb, goto “connect now” on iOS ST app, and doesn’t do anything. Am I doing something wrong now? Anyone help please. Three “cheap” Hue bulbs have now cost more as had to buy another remote, and still not working!

Thanks

When you reset it with the remote did the bulb flash?
My hue bulbs did when I reset them.

@R2D2 Whilst this isn’t specific to hue bulbs…I had to re-add 3 sensors yesterday and couldn’t get them to connect at all (previously not had any issues). I don’t know if this is coincidental but I had success after switching to mobile data from wifi on my phone, I’d already tried device/hub resets etc with no luck.

Nope still NG. Just stays on the “connect now” screen and finds nothing…

I’ll try and repeat the process this evening @R2D2 and film the process so you can see it exactly as I did it.

Note, that the bulb flashing didn’t indicate that it’s reset, as I could get it to flash with the standard Hue remote by holding the ON button down. If your new LivingColours remote still controls the bulb after the flash, it hasn’t reset. Holding the Power and Scene 1 worked for me.

Also: Worth noting that for me I held the remotes close to the bulb to do the pairing/reset operations, but proximity to the ST hub was not important at all, mine was in another room when it was discovered as a ‘Thing’ on the network.

@denseflux ah the bulb still is controlled by the living remote yes…

just tried again to reset, this time I held scene with one dot (I thought it was the 2 dots), and the on. I then tried to connect wth ST and found straight away! yeh!!! thanks for help again.

Which device handler for Hue white exactly please, either link or post it, I’d appreciate that.
thanks

Can you just clarify for me.
One dot plus on after turning bulb on.
Did the bulb flash at all.
Just wondering as it doesn’t work for me.
Thanks

@R2D2 I am using ‘Zigbee Hue White - HC’ from post 15 on this thread by @ktsi.

@bobbles I don’t know if order is important. I know holding them both down for a number of seconds was required. Try them together, and then each before the other… reporting back may be helpful for others.

Ta

I switched on bulb, held on and 1 dot, keep holding down, flashes a few times. The remote shouldn’t now control the bulb,

Now switch off and on bulb. ST app, connect now and found ZigBee bulb

Thanks.
The reason I’m asking if the bulb flashes 3 times is when I reset my RGBW hue bulb that’s what happened. I get nothing with the hue white.