Events firing in the wrong modes

This happened to me around June then stopped but started popping up again recently. I had assumed that the mode filtering was just not working, which I guess is still true, but interesting to me that it thinks the mode is a completely different one (not sure what I was expecting, null?). In this case I was in Home - Day and the app thought I was in Sleeping (the previous mode I was in).

361815cb-02a5-4b3e-a9fe-a6d017dd68aa 12:37:51 PM: info Mode = Sleeping
361815cb-02a5-4b3e-a9fe-a6d017dd68aa 12:37:51 PM: info motion: active

Uninstalling and re-installing the app didnā€™t work. Coincidentally I have the same smartapp running with different input parameters and mode filters and it fired from the same event reading the mode correctly.

be78a546-ea4f-43c0-b9d7-77c90485b9ed 12:37:51 PM: info Mode = Home Day
be78a546-ea4f-43c0-b9d7-77c90485b9ed 12:37:51 PM: info motion: active

Donā€™t think this post will accomplish anything, just found it interestingā€¦

This post is being monitored by the engineering and QA teams that have linked it to a trouble ticket in our project planning system. Please keep messages coming.

2 Likes

And AGAIN! Today I get a SMS saying that motion was detected in my basement (yes there was motion but app is supposed to ignore it while Iā€™m at home). @Ben @Tyler if anyone from supportā€™s watching this thread.

Funny thing I ONLY got the SMS, I didnā€™t get a push notification on my phone!

Every time I had something fire in the wrong mode I checked the logs to see which mode the smartApp erroneously thought it was in. Deleting that mode and then re-creating fixed the issue. This was a pain because you have to dis-associate the mode with pretty much everything before deleting and of course re-associate when itā€™s re-created, but that fixed it. I had a total of 3 bad modes.

Hoping platform stability remains a priority, not the first time Iā€™ve had to tear stuff down and re-build. In my experience with large scale software development in high growth environments, stability is always a ā€œthingā€. It would be nice if support had scripts to do the re-builds for us as a stop gap while overall stability improves.

1 Like

Wow that is one serious heck of an effort! I have 30+ devices setup with 20+ apps!

1 Like

Me too, but luckily the subset of modes tied to the smartapps wasnā€™t as bad as I thought.

Scared he hell out my parents when the alarm went off as my mom opened the door. The mode is set to Home and the stupid alarm went off! ST get your act together. Your v2 and Vnā€™s mean anything if the basics donā€™t work!

Hey all,

Please check out our updated release notes for the last platform update. We did push a fix that we are optimistic will resolve a lot of the mode issues in this thread. We would love for you guys to keep your ears to the ground and let us know of any outstanding mode issues as you see them.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

3 Likes

Bumping this thread because Iā€™ve been having the same problems for months.

My problem is that its rarely ever able to switch to home mode with either my phone presence or the time settings I have.

Switching to night, and away modes works every time, but when I come home or get up in the morning Iā€™m getting motion notifications and photo bursts that I only want on night/away. I started a ticket with support today.

1 Like

And the platform has gone batty again since this morning. First thing wake up and it executes Good morning, great! Not so - it didnā€™t change the mode from night to home. Walk down to the basement and the alarm goes off. Checked its says executes good morning but itā€™s sill in night mode.

An hour ago I get a phantom motion sensor movement and the alarm goes off. Nobody is even home.

I mean if this keeps up itā€™s like crying wolf. No one my house will trust ST security anymore. I was thinking the other day the platform may have stabilized and maybe itā€™s time to hook 911 to the alarm. Nope ST is back at its best again. I wonder if there was another release yesterday?

1 Like

And once again I get a totally ā€œPhantomā€ motion sensor event. @Ben @slagle I know this oneā€™ phantom because it came from a virtual device that had exposed motion sensor capabilities AND it never set off the alarm. So for some reason either the platform is generating events or mixing them up, my hub is getting events from someone elseā€™s account. No other way to explain why my virtual device would send a motion sensor event AND not set the trigger chain / alarm off.

Please submit a ticket and ask them to assign it to me. I am trying to track these. Please provide times and dates for phantom motion events, so I can look at logs.

They must be mine because I didnā€™t get any yesterday night. So maybe you can forward them to meā€¦lol

3 Likes

Done! ā€¦

2 Likes

I have a Routine set to turn on a heater just before we normally arise. This is on a houseboat, so I have it set (in Additional Settings) to not run if we are in AWAY mode. However, several times this week, the Routine has triggered even though we are in AWAY mode. Iā€™m new (6 weeks or so) to SmartThings, and up until this started happening, I was very happy with my new automation system. Now Iā€™m not so sure.

While having the heater come on when weā€™re not there is not catastrophic, it will sure waste a lot of energy and my money. It also means that I have to check the app every morning when I get up to see if the routine has turned the heater on.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Rebooted hub a couple of times, then deleted routines involved and recreated them. Everything seems to be working fine now.

1 Like