ESP32 Direct Connected Device Shows Offline

Hi,
I have made an ESP32 direct connected device. I’ve noticed that sometimes the device will show up as “offline” in the SmartThings app. When this happens, I have to unpower and repower the device to get it to show up as connected in the SmartThings app again. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way to tell in my ESP32 firmware that I am not communicating with SmartThings anymore? If I could figure that out, I could just auto restart the device when that happens.

Tagging @nayelyz and @TAustin in case they can help.

Thanks

Is your device going to sleep after some time? If so it would be disconnecting from the SmartThings server and thus getting reported as offline.

1 Like

@TAustin I don’t have any code that would put it to sleep, so I don’t think so.

@nayelyz do you have any ideas? I am finding that my device randomly shows up as “offline” on the app (and I can’t access it’s data) for maybe an hour, and then will be working again. This happens periodically throughout the day. So if I have the device plugged in for 24 hours, maybe 6 times it will show as “offline” and be unavailable for an hour each time.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this expected? This is a product we are working on, and this behavior is not acceptable.

Does this mean you’re planning to certify the integration as WWST?

I haven’t seen or received questions about this before, I need to ask the engineering team to see if there’s a way to get more info about what happened in your case.

Does this mean you’re planning to certify the integration as WWST?
Yes. But our Brand has been pending approval for a few weeks now.

I haven’t seen or received questions about this before, I need to ask the engineering team to see if there’s a way to get more info about what happened in your case.
OK, please let me know. I can share whatever you need.

Sorry about that, I can take a look. Can you share your organization’s MNID, please?

The team mentioned they need more logs to see what happened:

If the device got disconnected, it notifies to the device application of the current status via the callback function in st_conn_start .
Its iot_status is IOT_STATUS_IDLE and stat_lv is IOT_STAT_LV_STAY when it notifies it through the callback function.

So, please collect the complete logs to see if this event is triggered and if there’s more information when the device becomes offline.

@nayelyz
Looks like you approved our brand. Thank you.

If the device got disconnected, it notifies to the device application of the current status via the callback function in st_conn_start .
Its iot_status is IOT_STATUS_IDLE and stat_lv is IOT_STAT_LV_STAY when it notifies it through the callback function.

OK, I will try to figure this out. It usually take hours for it to happen, so I’ll need to set something up to log it.

1 Like