[OBSOLETE] Enhanced Z-wave garage door opener code (for Linear GD00Z and variants)

I doubt you can have one without the other. Mine is in both.

No clue. I don’t have any contact switches.
Perhaps a question for support ?

It seems the “Door Control” capability is overriding the “Contact Switch” capability.
Perhaps if you remove that capability it would work but I have no clue what the side effects will be.

You don’t modify anything in the device type. That icon (which controls the door) is the result of a smartapp which has to be deleted.

Go into doors&locks, hit the gear, select the door, select “open and close it remotely”, and uninstall that.

Gary

If I remove the “open and close it remotely” the shortcut disappears but the “Garage Door Opener” also disappears from the “Right Now” section. I also tried only activating “Know if it’s open or closed” and it adds the “Garage Door Opener” to the “Right Now” section but it also adds the shortcut (so, no luck there).

What I am thinking is that since this “door” can be operated as a switch that it shows as a shortcut because you can press that icon and execute the switch. I noticed in a post by @Ron that he added in the “Things” section a tile icon that is only a display and not a push button. If I manage to make the Doors & Locks to see the “Garage Door Opener” as a display icon and not as a switch icon I think I will be able to have it only in the “Right Now” section and not the shortcut. The thing is I don’t know what I need to modify to make it a display and not a switch in the Doors & Lock section.

@gferrari I suspect it is the capability “Door Control” that makes the device show up in “Doors and Locks” section.

If you want to try your idea, just comment out the action button which is the 2x2 large button.
It is first in the tile section of the code. to comment just place /* before and */ after like this

/*
standardTile(“toggle”, “device.door”, width: 2, height: 2) {
state(“unknown”, label:‘${name}’, action:“refresh.refresh”, icon:“st.doors.garage.garage-open”, backgroundColor:“#ffa81e”)
state(“closed”, label:‘${name}’, action:“door control.open”, icon:“st.doors.garage.garage-closed”, backgroundColor:“#79b821”, nextState:“opening”)
state(“open”, label:‘${name}’, action:“door control.close”, icon:“st.doors.garage.garage-open”, backgroundColor:“#ffa81e”, nextState:“closing”)
state(“opening”, label:‘${name}’, icon:“st.doors.garage.garage-opening”, backgroundColor:“#ffe71e”)
state(“closing”, label:‘${name}’, icon:“st.doors.garage.garage-closing”, backgroundColor:“#ffe71e”)
}
*/

You might want to try removing the capability “Door Control” in the same manner. Then you can control the door as a switch instead but I am not sure if this will have side effects. You can comment out one line with // like this

capability “Actuator”
// capability “Door Control”
capability “Contact Sensor”

I think the “Door Control” capability tells Smart Things this is a “controllable” door and not just a “Contact Switch” which detects the door open/close".

So I really think removing this capability will do the trick. You can even keep the Action button so you can still use if from the device. You just will not be able to use this device in any smart apps that are looking for a controllable door. You can however use the device in any smart app that uses a switch so again even that can be hacked around.

Let me know if this makes sense and if it does how it works out for you.

Note: I tried both of these but it didn’t work. I suspect that might be because you need to remove and re-add the device. This isn’t an easy device to remove and re-add so I don’t want to take my tests that far :smile:

Has anyone tried to use this code with another brand tilt sensor instead of the one that comes in the kit? I bought a used Linear GD00Z that didn’t come with a tilt sensor so I bought a ecolink tilt sensor as a replacement.

It won’t work - unless you can somehow get the tilt sensor to talk to the base unit (the part that plugs into the wall.) This code actually doesn’t communicate at all with the tilt sensor. The tilt sensor communicates with the base, and the base “translates” the messages to the z-wave network.

Thanks for the information. That sucks to find out.

Does anyone know if you can get a replacement tilt sensor from Linear?

I would email their support. I did with some questions about the way the unit worked and they got back to me very quickly.

Yeah I emailed them and I’m waiting for a reply. I might call them Monday.

This work great for one of the two car garage doors, thank you. I just transitioned 74 Z-wave devise from my Lowe’s Iris system to ST (yes I am new to ST). I have not transition any of the Zigbee door contacts yet and was wondering if anyone had ever created a new device for these Lowe’s devises?

Also does anyone know how to improve the “resetting” Z-wave devises I could not “remove” rejoin my new ST HUB properly. That is why the second Garage Door controller did not work, could not get it to find the devise.

My house is 5k square foot and therefore I need either many more plugs and switches (which is why I got to 75+) or get very good range extenders (the plug ins, did not help on the Iris system). Any thoughts.

Being that so many people seem to be using this code, I’m going to change the price on it. It’s now half price. Enjoy!

:wink:

2 Likes

Damn your price increases! You now owe me money!

Great work, installed and used it tonight with my first opener.

I’m new to ST and have figured out how to get the code into IDE and publish but I am not clear on the V2 hub how to "edit my garage door device to use “my z-wave garage door opener”

Any help would be appreciated.

@radyoactive, go to your IDE and look at your devices under the devices section at the top:

find the garage door:

click on the edit button:

and find the “Device Type” and click on the drop down:

If you saved your device type when you where creating it AND published it using “publish for me” it should be listed there and you can scroll all the way to the bottom. Pick it, hit update, and you’re in business.

Hope this helps.

@antelope…thank you very much for the help. I was almost there just missed the edit button at the bottom of the page. My device page now shows “My Z-Wave Garage Door Opener” as the type. This will give me something to mess with while I watch the game tonight.

Thanks again Antelope and Garyd9 for this!

You’re most welcome but @garyd9 is the real hero here. The man’s like a rock star in these parts, lol. I myself have roamed the forums for a long time but never had much to contribute until now. I have finally gotten to a point where I can at least point people in the right direction. :smile:

1 Like

By making this change to the device type, I did not see any changes in the way the apps recognize the device. I do not have the option to choose the GD00Z as a garage door opener relay. It’s been a long day, i’m sure I missed it but I don’t see it on my V2 hub.

Yeah, I’m not sure why the door shows up as a choice on some apps but doesn’t show up for others. I do know that for the SmartApps I have, it works fine. For the others that it doesn’t show up on, I just haven’t needed the app bad enough to require I spend time researching it. Maybe @garyd9 can shine some light on that.

Just installed a GD00Z-4 and had zero problems. Total install time of 20 minutes, including reading the directions (IKR). I wired into the wall switch instead of the door controller with no problem. Using the custom device type in this thread - Never tried the standard device type. Cycled the garage door 3 times and status is correct. Happy!