[OBSOLETE] Enhanced Z-wave garage door opener code (for Linear GD00Z and variants)

Start ST. From the main dashboard, select “+” (at the bottom of the list.) You should then see a list of “things.” Swipe (once) from right to left and you should now see a list of “alerts.” Select “access & entryways.” Select “notify me when a door is opened and/orclose while I am away from home.”

Tap on “Add a door.” Type in a name. Select “what type of door is it” and change that to “garage door” Tap “next”. Tap on “connect a sensor” and you SHOULD see the garage door sensor for the GD00Z device. (If you don’t, you aren’t using this device type.) You can (but don’t have to) make other selections on the page. Tap “Next” and then “Done”

You should now have a “doors and locks” section on the main dashboard. From that doors/locks section, you can hit the gear (settings) icon, select the door you created above, and choose “open and close it remotely.” From there, select the sensor again, tap “next” and then “done.” (and “done” however many times as might be needed.)

Thank you @garyd9 That was quite the process. I appreciate the help!

No problem. I’m guessing that it worked for you?

Yes @garyd9 that did get the Doors and Locks Category up. However it appears in the door and locks section that the state is ‘open’ (the door is actually closed) and in the things section its ‘unknown’. I think these things come with bad tilt sensors and I’m trying to find a way to completely bypass it. and make it act like a button for the garage as in it works no matter the state. If it makes a difference I’ve deleted everything and re added this 2x now and have cycled the garage door 2x for each add.

Ignore the “doors and locks” section until you get it working in “things.” This device type is nothing more than a hack to try and make the ST provided “z-wave garage door opener” compatible with doors and locks, but there are a oddities with it. (Doors/locks doesn’t really support an “unknown” state for garage door openers.)

So, if you have “unknown” for the garage door opener, and you’ve already cycled the garage door up/down a few times manually, it’s possible that the GD00Z tilt sensor isn’t talking to the main unit properly. There’s a method to reset the pairing between the main unit and the tilt sensor, but I don’t know what it is. (You might need to contact linear for that information.)

Of course, it might also just be a faulty tilt sensor (or dead tilt sensor battery.)

1 Like

When I first installed my GD00Z a few days ago the default device type worked with the doors and locks section to show the open close shortcuts. However it wasn’t listed in the doors an locks smart app to close the garage door when people leave. It also wasn’t listed in the smart app that can close a door after being left open for too long. So I googled and found this custom device type. I’ve I stalled it and now my garage door does show up in the locks section when I want to close a door automatically when people leave. Great! But it still doesn’t show up for the smart app to close the door after its been left open for a certain amount of time. It also doesn’t show up in the locks section when I try to set it to close when the system is changed to away or night time. Is this still not possible or is it still not installed correctly for me?

Thanks!!

I have the GD00Z and a very old garage door opener. I have the GD00Z installed and connected to my network, but I am having issues controlling it (it reports Open/Closed fine). The problem that I am having is that my garage door “button” requires 2 presses within 3 seconds in order for it to open. 1 “press”, simply turns the garage door light on.

Currently, if I try to open the door from smartthings, it wont open/close because it is only sending 1 “press” to the garage door. If I am standing at the garage door button, and press it 1 more time, the door opens/closes.

I am a novice and I tried to go through your code to see if I could edit so I could “double press” the open/close commands, but got very confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don’t think this is going to work with your garage door opener. The GD00Z will only send one signal every 30 seconds. This is to prevent accidentally sending two open commands and having it start to open and then stop. So even if you change the device code to send two signals the second will be ignored. Unless the second press can happen after 30 seconds, if it can then you could change the device code to send the zwave signal, then delay 30 seconds and send another signal. I don’t know how reliable this will be though.

From the GD00Z Manual
http://www.nexiahome.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/GD00Z-3-Instructions.pdf

If the door does not completely
open or close, a second open or
close command can be sent after
30 seconds.

Thanks for the response. Damn…sounds like I am SOL. I guess I will sell the linear to one of my friends.

You might contact Linear first and see what they say.

1 Like

@connor_b_lee I agree I could be wrong. I am basing my info on my understanding of how the unit works. Perhaps they have a solution. Contact their support. I have in the past and they are good about responding.

I sent an email to these two addresses and had a reply very quickly. Not sure which address worked :smile:

security@linearcorp.com
garagedooroperator@linearcorp.com

They have a short list of incompatible door openers. Hopefully yours isn’t one of these
http://www.nortekcontrol.com/info/Linear-GD00Z-Product-Compatibility-Notice.pdf

One other thought. Are you sure this isn’t a configurable feature on your Garage Door Opener. I wonder if there is a setting on the Garage Door opener to change it to turn the light and open at same time ?

Sorry for taking so long to reply to anything. I’ve been on vacation…

[quote=“vdefender, post:46, topic:9389”]
But it still doesn’t show up for the smart app to close the door after its been left open for a certain amount of time. It also doesn’t show up in the locks section when I try to set it to close when the system is changed to away or night time. Is this still not possible or is it still not installed correctly for me?
[/quote]Can you please provide exact details? In particular, can you please walk me through what you’re trying to use to close it after it’s been left open or otherwise close it in an automated way. I don’t see these as options for any garage doors…

[quote=“connor_b_lee, post:47, topic:9389”]
Currently, if I try to open the door from smartthings, it wont open/close because it is only sending 1 “press” to the garage door. If I am standing at the garage door button, and press it 1 more time, the door opens/closes.
[/quote]As others have mentioned, this isn’t something the device type can do. There MAY be a different set of terminals on your garage door opener that allows a single “press” to open or close. If so, that’s what you need to wire. If not, the GD00Z hardware isn’t suitable for your application.

Again, sorry I took so long to respond to stuff. I didn’t realize when I left that I’d be unable to pop on this forum.

Take care
Gary

Thanks for the response. I have reached out to Linear, hopefully they can provide some insights. As far as another terminal to hook up to, I see one labeled “minder”. Any idea what that terminal would be for? I tried do some searching, but I couldn’t find anything too specific that uses that terminology. I am thinking it’s for one of those “safety sensors”.

no idea what “minder” might be for. Hopefully a solution can be found for your opener…

@connor_b_lee what make/model garage door open do you have ?

Just curious, perhaps we can find manuals online to determine if there is a way to resolve the two button press issue.

What smart app are you using ? I wrote two smart apps my self for this device. One closes after a length of time left open and the other just alerts me if left open. I have been using the alert version since I can always manually close when alerted. I didn’t like that the auto close might close the door while I am outside working on the yard or something like that.

It’s an old Touch N Go 55a. I found the manual here but didn’t see any configuration for the button press. This old girl may be from the 80’s (having a hard time pinning down a year), but she runs great. My best guess is that it is pre '93, so not compatible with the Linear (still haven’t heard back from them yet).

I am not using any smartapps with this device yet. Smartthings is still a little too finicky at times to set up automation and I don’t want my dogs to run out of the garage and chase the mail man if it accidentally opens. I really just wanted to have a assurance that the door closed and didn’t pop back open after I left. I also wanted to be able to open the door from my phone when I am not in the car. I can’t put a wireless code panel outside, because there is not one compatible with this opener (that’s why I liked the hard wired button control of the linear).

I’ll probably end up just buying a tilt sensor and calling it good.

Zwave tilt sensor, Zwave momentary switch and web camera should do the trick (web cam to make sure door is clear before issuing two momentary switch closes

Super Helpful - works great with my Linear GD00Z-4. Now I can open/close the garage with the minimote :smile:

I’ve made a slight modification to this. On == Open, Off == Closed. This lets you use phrases (Open Garage Door, Close Garage Door) - since it’s a “switch” this kinda makes sense, and gives you better control when using the minimote since you can use press == open phrase, press and hold == close phrase. Don’t know if this breaks the model or not, but seems really useful to me. Just replace on/off stubs with this:

def on() {
    // ON MEANS OPEN

log.debug "on() was called" //  and ignored"

def lastValue = device.latestValue("door");

// if its open, then do nothing
    if (lastValue == "open") {
        log.debug "It's already open"
        return;         
    // if its closed, then open the door
    } else if (lastValue == "closed") {
        return open()        
    } else {
        log.debug "on() called when door state is $lastValue - there's nothing on() can do"
    }

}

def off() {
    // OFF MEANS CLOSE

log.debug "off() was called" //  and ignored"

def lastValue = device.latestValue("door");

// if its closed, then do nothing
    if (lastValue == "closed") {
        log.debug "It's already closed"
        return;         
    // if its open, then close the door
    } else if (lastValue == "open") {
        return close()        
    } else {
        log.debug "off() called when door state is $lastValue - there's nothing off() can do"
    }

}
2 Likes

@garyd9, @Ron or anybody else, if I don’t want the shortcut in the Doors & Locks, but I want it on the Right Now section inside Doors & Locks (like all my other contact sensors, door and windows) what do I need to modify in the device type?

I want to know if the garage door is open when i am away (hence having it in the right now section), but I don’t want to operate it through the Doors & Locks as a shortcut.