Enerwave ZWN-BPC Z-wave Ceiling Mounted, Battery Powered PIR Sensor

Official support is for those who play by the rules or don’t want to do some serious homework before buying… :slight_smile: I have several devices that work that aren’t officially supported. In some cases I wrote a devicetype to make it work. According to Amazon I ordered them in July and been running them ever since.

Yes I have one. When I was writing those instructions, I added mine to my hub v2 using the instructions and it was successful. Then I tried adding it to my v1 at a large distance and had problems and had to reboot the hub before it would exclude. Then I added it to the v1 hub again using the instructions and was successful again.

I agree that it probably shouldn’t have been added to the supported list due to all the problems people have had. I got it working with our official Z-Wave Door/Window and Motion sensor device types many months ago, but I guess it just went through the SmartThings “certification” process recently and was deemed to be supported.

Thanks for the input and reply.

No luck here so far.

It is frustrating as all hell. It took me well over 50 plus excludes and pairs to get to work on the v2. Best I can say is to exclude the device reboot the hub and try the pairing process again. All so, it seemed that it was more successful when I inserted the batteries while holding the button on the back of the device. I hope it someone.

@sidjohn1

Sure, understood. I had mine before official support working as well.

Point is, what is the success rate of adding them with official support using the ST DH for them? And what processes are used… etc.

If you have to do so standing on one foot, whilest spinning about, and repeat 7 times until successful… it’s hard for me to fathom ST saying it’s a ‘Compatible Device’ no matter where the fault lies.

When you are on a custom DH with a device not listed by ST as compatible, as frustrating as that might be, it’s certainly not on ST.

Thought I would contribute my experience with it on v2.

Can’t say that I’ve had any issues; mine unpaired from the old and repaired to the new hub without any problems. It initially paired as my custom device type; I was going to move to the officially supported method but it worked fine as-is and the official method is just the generic handler (issues with that one is why I created the custom one). AFAIK the only functional difference is the generic handler doesn’t support the software-enabled test mode.

I only run one of these in my system; they proved to be too sensitive (even with dip adjustment) and my dogs constantly triggered it.

They are very sensitive, but they are very… unnoticeable. They blend in to typical homes. Where as the other PIRs really stick out which I don’t like. I overcame the sensitivity by using the stickers and or masking tape to reduce the input to the PIR. I may try fogging the lense of a test device with some sort of semi-transparent paint some day.

The reason why I wish to ultimately move to the ST official supported DH for these is that I want to ensure the apps and functions can run locally in the long run.

For those wondering, yes, it is a constant battle with reinclusion to get these to work. Took me about 30 tries before the battery level was registering. I’ll need to get one more for upstairs. Hopefully the process will be a lot smoother next time.

As of now, I’m using the generic device type no problems.

From what I can tell, I think in the long run they hope to more easily approve apps/devices to run locally, including ones that aren’t officially supported.

On sale @ amazon for 26.59

I searched through this thread and the answer seems to be ‘no’ but just in case, does this sensor have a temperature sensor in it?

I picked up one of these units a few days ago, and like many, I struggled to get it working. I had the most common problem: unit would get added but motion stayed locked on – never reports any motion updates. After hacking around with the unit, I think I’ve “mastered” getting it to work.

If you are still having problems using one of these units, here are my suggestions…

My device type code:

Adding device:

• use new device type
  • recommend following the live logging in the IDE
  • put hub into inclusion mode (via the app or minimote)
  • holding config button on back of sensor for 1 second
  • make sure sensor green light stays one for full 3-5 seconds when being added (will not flash 3 times)
  • in the app, the device should be added as ‘Enerwave Ceiling Mounted Motion Sensor’
  • live logging should show device added (under Smart Home Monitor)
  • live logging should show messages about BatteryReport and ManufacturerSpecificReport (under Enerwave Ceiling Mounted Motion Sensor)
  • if the motion sensor is still stuck on:
    • have your app open and displaying the tiles for the motion sensor
    • press the config button on the back of the sensor device for about a second, green sensor light will come on steady, then quickly hit the ‘Config’ tile in the app
    • live logging should show BasicSet and BatteryReport messages, if it worked - otherwise repeat that step until you see those messages
    • after that step, motion will still be on until your programmed timeout (usually 5 minutes), so wait a good 10-15 minutes for the motion sensor to settle and turn off
  • if you’re still finding the motion stuck on, then exclude the device and do the include steps again

Excluding device:

• put hub in exclusion
  • tap the config button on the back of the sensor
  • live logging should show device removed (under Smart Home Monitor)
  • OK to repeat this process if you’re not sure it worked.

DIP Switch notes:

• Diagram box on the back of the unit has correct with arrow orientation
  • 100% = both switches pushed off (against the numbers 1,2)
  • 25% = both switches pushed to ON
  • 75% = switch 2 ON, switch 1 off
  • 50 % = switch 2 off, switch 1ON
    For me, 100% is super-sensitive (a lot of false readings)
    I pull the battery when changing the switches.

Other notes:
Sensor wakes up every 30 minutes, at which time it will reprogram the motion timeout if it has been changed in the preferences (don’t have to use the config button on the back of the sensor).

I hope those steps might help some that are still having problems with the device.

2 Likes

does this sensor have a temperature sensor in it?

No.

1 Like

Yeah, finally figured, had 17 on order but cancelled. I really would like to be predominately Z-Wave but in the end, think I’ll just go with the new Lowes motion sensors which have a temp sensor built into them.

Edit: Deleted my above post, really thought I had licked the install problem when I had all three add like magic. The third tricked me with it’s five minute default on. That’ll teach me. I’m going to keep working on this per below:

Well well well, I have one stuck on “Motion” myself. Seeing if I can unstick it programmatically to enhance the devicetype. I think it’s something with the hardware. 2 out of 3 isn’t bad.

For anyone diagnosing theirs, I can force it to report battery by removing and adding them, and I can force it to send a wakeup by holding the button on the bottom, and I can add and exclude it from the network, but I can’t get it to report motion. Interestingly the green led will light up just fine like the others indicating motion. There is something wrong with these from a hardware perspective.

Side note: I love the form factor. Add a temp sensor and zwaveplus and I’d put them everywhere. As it is, I don’t need my ceiling temps, I have too many temperatures across the house now as it is, and most of them aren’t calibrated to each other, therefore fairly meaningless. I digress…

Guess I got lucky. Both of mine paired as Z-Wave Motion Sensors and have been working w/o issue.
No need for ceiling temps here either. Just like window temps on O/C sensors; unnecessary.

Of the 4 brands of PIR sensors I’m using I like the Lowes Iris best so far.
-Lowes Iris
-Enerwave Ceiling mount
-GoControl
-Monoprice

I totally agree. These little guys are tiny, are inconspicuous if you want them to be, and work very well.

1 Like

Are the lowes iris devices pet immune?

In my experience, I have the ST SmartSense, the Enerwave Ceiling Mounted, and the Ecolink wall mounted.

I like the form factor of the enverwave’s the best from an aesthetic standpoint, but pairing them is an exercise in frustration.

The Smartsense is not adjustable and dectects a small cat moving, so it’s useless to me. The enerwaves are too sensitive for a small cat as well. I have to use masking tape and plastic bags to reduce the IR input. The ecolinks are perefect, I think due to the lens shape and the direction the lens faces, etc.

1 Like

No unfortunately, but like you said, the Ecolinks can be set using the internal jumper:

For the one that is “stuck” with motion on, hit the config button on the back of the unit so the LED glows green, then hit the ‘Config’ button in the app. Some how this brings the device motion reporting back online.

I detailed that in a previous post. I also played with the timing of the config commands (delaybetween), but couldn’t find any delay amount that seems to improve the inclusion and stuck motion issue. I did feel that the longer delays (2000 or more) seems to be more problematic, and actually had better luck using some short delays (like 100 or 200).