Enerwave ZWN-BPC Z-wave Ceiling Mounted, Battery Powered PIR Sensor

I was having the same problem. I finally got mine working reliably now. I added a configure button to the device type to allow manually pushing configuration options to the motion sensor. What I did to get mine to work was press the new configure tile in the device type then press the button on the motion sensor within a couple seconds of each other. I did this several times until live logging showed battery level report events when I pressed the physical button. There is probably a sequence to it, but I donā€™t know what it is yet. You will need to have debugging enabled in the device preferences if you want to see the events in live logging console. If someone else with the issue can confirm these changes work for them, Iā€™ll submit a pull request back to @essidle.

On another note, I also made the motion timeout configurable with a default of 5 minutes. You can configure this in the device typeā€™s preferences.

My fork is available at https://github.com/notoriousbdg/ST_EnerwaveCPIR.

I was able to get the thing added and can see the battery level. However, itā€™s stuck on motion detected. How do you get the motion sensor unstuck?

Update:
After changing the repairing and setting timeout to 1 minute, appears it now works. However, 1 minute of motion being triggered seems excessive. The smartthings motion device seems to timeout after just 10 seconds. Any way to be more granular like that----seconds instead of minutes?

I have had a rough time adding these the the v2 Hub. I have 2 devices and I was able to get one successful added this morning and thought I would try the second latter today. Well that is not going so well. I get constant motion on the device. I capture an error in live logging below. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

6d762f83-422d-4aa9-888e-c100e95739c0 6:26:54 PM EDT: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: static java.lang.Integer.toString() is applicable for argument types: (null, java.lang.Integer) values: [null, 16]
Possible solutions: toString(), toString(), toString(), toString(int), toString(int, int), toHexString(int) @ line 100
6d762f83-422d-4aa9-888e-c100e95739c0 6:26:54 PM EDT: debug Configuring Device

UPDATED:
I spoke with support and a coder suggested this ā€œā€˜the device type needs to be written correctly to check for null values before it tried to cast it to a stringā€™.ā€ I have no clue what that means.

I am successfully using these devices with the V2 hub without any custom device type.

I added them to my new V2 hub and they were correctly identified as ZWave motion devices and they work great!

With the V1 hub I was using someoneā€™s custom device type which at the time worked great.

But leaving in that custom device type when I migrated to V2 caused problems.

Things that were not motion sensors and motion sensors that were not enerwave were being detected all as this custom device type.

I deleted the custom device type and let V2 smartthings detect these as is.

1 Like

I will give that a try tonight. I did try to change the device type to a ZWave motion device type but that did not seem to help. But it makes sense to delete the custom device type and give that a try.

I too saw the problems of new devices wanting to be created as an Enerwave device types. So maybe it is all for the better to delete the Enerwave device type.

Thanks!

One other tip, when I was adding them, the device type showed for a second ā€œOpen/Closeā€ Sensor and then changed to showing motion sensor. This is adding them in the iphone Smartthings app.

I think I have 3 sensors in total. 2 paired in one try. One of them continued to say Open/Close sensor. So I excluded it and re-paired it and then it was correctly detected as z-wave motion sensor.

After removing the custom device type I tried this and got the same results where the it came up as a Open/Close sensor and then switched over to a motion sensor. But it just shows constant motion. Will leave it in a drawer tonight to see if it works itself.

Same results here constant motion all the time. I donā€™t think these work with the v2 hub.

Did you leave them in a dark draw for 10minutes?

They work for me. i had to place an eco link motion in a draw for 10 minutes to get it to stop reporting motion.

Yes I left them in a drawer for 24 hours and no change.

This is an answer and it works.

I added the enerwave to my V2, could not get it to work, tried the custom enverwave it worked on the first one.

Then added the other 6 I have - they wouldnā€™t work.

This branch works - I keep hitting the tile configuration button and the button on the PIRā€¦ boom, battery shows up as 100% and everything works.

3 Likes

@JH1, Iā€™m glad to hear it worked for someone else too.

@JH1 @notoriousbdg @professordave Thank you all for your help. After several hub reboots and other tips listed above it worked. It took sometime to add the second sensor but it is working. I wish I could get a 100% confirmation of the steps but it seems a reboot of the hub and device (removing batteries) and pressing the device config button and the tile config. And I used @notoriousbdg code.

There are occasions when ST makes me feel like this:

:sunglasses:

These are supposed to be officially supported now. See:

Any one have luck with this?

I tried to set one up, but it detects it as a Z Wave Motion Sensor and doesnā€™t seem to get battery status, detects motion constantly, etc.

There doesnā€™t appear to be a built in specific device type added by SmartThings for the Enverwave.

What am I missing?

I have four that work and one that constantly detects motion despite trying on three hubs, different batteries, etc. Iā€™m fairly certain they just have a high fail rate. :confused:

1 Like

What I am referring to now is the blog post that says ST officially supports these, but I donā€™t see an official published DH for them.

As far as your concerns - I doubt it because I have over 12 of them, and each one was a pain to get working but was able to with the modified code in this thread. I was looking for the DH from ST things though.

Z-Wave Motion Sensor is the correct device type. Note that due to fingerprint issues, it will initially join as a door/window sensor and then automatically change to Z-Wave Motion Sensor. Once theyā€™re configured properly they send the same messages that other Z-Wave motion sensors do so thatā€™s why they use the generic handler.

However, it appears that some of these devices have communication problems right after joining that can interfere with the configuration process. My advice for maximizing the chance that the configuration goes through is:

1. Make sure it is properly excluded. (May have to reboot your hub if youā€™re not getting confirmation of the exclusion.)
  2. Bring it in close proximity to the hub to include it.
  3. As soon as the device pops up on the ā€œSearchingā€ screen, promptly tap it and then tap ā€œNextā€ on the first configuration screen right away. You can change its name later.
  4. Wait until the green light goes out and then cover the motion sensor to confirm that it is reporting ā€œNo motionā€ events properly. If itā€™s not ā€¦ start again I guess, it may be defective.
  5. Bring it as close as possible to its final destination/orientation and do a re-include: Go to Connect Now in the mobile app and wait a few seconds on the searching screen, then push the button on the device. If it works, the green light should go on for a longer time ā€“ more than 4 seconds. Donā€™t move it around or obstruct its signal while the green light is on.

Hopefully this will help someone. Furthermore, these instructions should work for any Z-Wave device that is having connection or configuration troubles. There will be potential fixes for all the issues that these steps address in the next big hub firmware release.

If these steps work for you, let me know. Thanks.

3 Likes

@duncan

Have you actually set one of these enerwave motion PIRs up yourself?

I guess I have been gotten again. I tore down a working PIR, removed my custom DH and re-added it using this method.

No Dice. I canā€™t get past step 4 - it shows constant motion, tried the process 1/2 dozen times and same results. No, it is not defective the same units work fine with the custom DH.

I am very confused as to how this is listed as officially supported, and yet it seems to require voodoo and seances to get working. Even after doing that, I still canā€™t get it to work.

Back to the custom DH, which does work. Countless hours of back and forth.

I have 2 of theseā€¦ Iā€™ve had them on both hub1 and hub2. Yes they work on both, I did have to pair/exclude them several times to get them to work on hub v2. They seamed to pair better when close to the hub. No, Iā€™m not using a custom devicetype, Iā€™m using the default zwave motion device and it seams to work well after I got them paired. That part was frustrating.

When did you add them? Official support was announced Oct 20th.