Energy Fitness Challenge Earth Day 2019

Inspired by Sense Energy Monitoring blog (I am not affiliated nor own their device) - what actions are you taking regularly to monitor and control your Always On power consumption?

https://blog.sense.com/energy-fitness-challenge

4 Likes

Interesting. :sunglasses:

They left out one of my favorites: change the temperature setting on your washer.

Going from hot to warm can save 50% of the energy that your washer uses. Going all the way to cold can save 90%.

2 Likes

Also remember: a ceiling fan only cools people, not the room. It’s always interesting how many people set up their lights to turn off when there’s no one in the room, but leave the fan running.

Unless you’re intentionally trying to suck in air from a cooler zone in the house, smarten your fan up enough to turn off when your room is empty. :wind_face:

If you are trying to even out zones in the house, use a temperature sensor and turn the fan off once the room is cool enough and it’s unoccupied.

2 Likes

One of my favorites, dim those led bulbs to the level you need, when you need it (below are 4 Philips Hue bulbs)

At 100%

At 50%

3 Likes

My recent changes. Replaced 16 60w (960w) incandescents with 18w (288w) smart LED bulbs.
I replaced 4 T8 flourescents at 32 watts each (128w) with 4 14w T8 replacements (56w)

1,088 w originally.
344 w after.

744 w saved.

I should mention my garage workshop still has T12 bulbs at 40 W apiece which is 560w total.

Replacing those with the 14 W LED tubes gives me a 196 W total used.

That’s and additional 364 W saved.

Now having said that, the mention above about Ceiling Fans only cooling people not spaces isn’t exactly accurate. Ceiling fans more efficiently move air around a space, and mix the air for more effective overall cooling. The amount of cooling required is based of course on the “feeling” of comfort. Moving air

What I am seeing is average 52 in ceiling fan uses 75w on high.
A 4 ton 20 SEER AC uses 4.8KW/hr.

If your air is mixed better, in the USED spaces, you can have the thermostat up a few degrees higher, making the AC work less, thus using far less electricity in the long run… There are other advantages as well leaving ceiling fans running but I do agree that if you’re going to be out and not occupying a space for a long. Turn the fan off.

So summing it up, by replacing incandescent, and flourescent bulbs with LEDs I am saving 1,108 watts of electricity directly. Factor in the heat that each bulb produces and I am certain that in my environment, incadescent / flourescent lighting produces additional heat that must be removed from the living space, thus increasing my power consumption. I am not sure how much it adds, but considering people heat up clay flower pots to use as small space heaters, I have to gues it isn’t inconsequential…

1 Like

I forgot how much the incandescent bulbs use, no wonder we were maniacs running around the house to flip switches LOL

1 Like

Yeah, its half a table saw running full time…

2 Likes

A little outdated but still valid in many households:

1 Like

“Plugging devices into timers will save you from having to remember to turn things on and off”
what timers did they mean? I have a lot of devices without a timer, so what’s on my phone to use? I will not be very comfortable because it will create additional difficulties for me. I love to practice with timers on my phone and will get completely confused. Moreover, I train in 4x4 mode and try to pay a lot of attention to my body. I watch my diet, drink peptides (Buy PT 144), observe the ode and sleep regimen. This is very effective for me and I would not want to break this chain.