Energy Consumption Units - Samsung SmartThings Plug

Trying to figure how to correctly read the energy consumption section on the Samsung Smart Plug 2019.

In the overview, as you can see in the screenshot, for ‘Energy consumption’ it says 31.9 kWh

While if you dig in to it, (the bar chart below it) it shows 4,897.6, as being the highest of any given day over the last month.

Here’s readings from 5 random days throughout the month;

1. 4,897.5
  2. 3,501.6
  3. 3,385.4
  4. 4,744.4
  5. 3,492.7

The two questions I have;

• What unit is that, per day?
  • The Energy consumption’, where it says 31.9 kWh - is that across the entire month/30 days?

Some context - I’m trying to figure how much a certain item is costing me per month, so it seems I have 30 days worth of data - at least it seems like it in the breakdown - so I plan on tallying it all up, and getting an approx monthly cost.

FYI: The date shown at the bottom of the bar chart is UK style, to not through anyone off from the US!

i.e.
7/31 is 31st of July
8/10 is 10th of August etc.

Surely, someone must have some idea, or point me in the right direction?

This is what confuses me further - this is another plug we have, (screenshot below). The breakdown per day, the units goes into the tens of thousands - i.e highest it’s been is 37,340.0.

But, I know that the power taken during that day, it can in no way be higher that the first plug I posted about (per day) (due to what’s connected to it).

Maybe this is another smaller unit?

Any and all help/guidance would be most certainly appreciated.

PS: My understanding of electrical measurement and units within is limited. I’ve tried to make sense of it with Google searches, (i.e kWh, Wh, watts, amps etc.) but the units I’m assuming for them to be, it doesn’t add up, to get to a kWh measurement - so I’m obviously looking at the wrong thing(s).

Can someone advise on a different web forum to ask this question, if this isn’t the correct place, please?

@SamsungZell

Pretty Please with sugar on top?

Yo @JeffRoof I was having the same thought. I was a bit confused but here is my thoughts:

My situation is that I have a home server running 24h a day that is reporting:

• power at 135w
  • energy at 27.77kWh (but over what duration?)

135 W / 1000 = 0.135 kW
0.135 kW x 24 hours = 3.24 kWh per day
27.77kWh / 3.24 kWh = 8.57 days

So from this I can deduce that the plug has been reporting for 8.57 days.

I think that the value being reported is the overall total for that plug.

I may be wrong.

Hi @JeffRoof. Did you ever work this out? I am trying to use a SmartThings power outlet to work out the daily energy consumption for different devices, but I can’t work out the units that are reported in the SmartThings app for hourly and daily.

Nick

Came here looking for something else, but I do notice that on your second screenshot, the Consumption figure is in watt-hours not Kilowatt-hours.

My understanding based on what you’ve written above is that it’s an ongoing cumulative total. The units in the bar graph are the same units as used in the line above. You’ve got a unit in watt-hours, but there’s a previous value of 37kWh hence the huge value - I’ve actually got the opposite problem at the moment - one of my plugs has rolled over to 1.0 MWh so all my charts are tiny. I’m not sure how you’ve ended up in the situation where your cumulative total is lower than your value from the previous day though.

I’ve yet to find any concrete way to reset the power usage value short of removing and re-adding the plug.