Edit limits?

I’m getting an error message when I try to edit an existing post saying there’s a daily limit on that action. I don’t think I’m doing things any more often than I usually do. Has something changed?

Since I use voice, it’s pretty typical for my initial post to have a whole bunch of weird errors in it, which I then have to go back and fix. So I do typically edit a post three or four times. But again that’s not anything I’ve changed and yesterday was the first time I ever saw this particular error message.

JD wins the internet. Congrats. Now please take a 3 hour break before trying again.

Seriously. You are a tremendous credit to this community, my hat’s off to you. Hopefully this will get fixed quickly.

8 Likes

Yeah a lot of what I have learnt and brought me to ST in the first place is through JD.

Well, at least this time they’re only making me wait one hour.

Seriously, guys, some of this is an ADA issue. People who use voice recognition software have to make a lot of edits. It’s just the nature of the process. We need to listen to the text playback from the beginning, and there’s no easy way to get to the beginning without saving and opening again.

So…close…

1 Like

And then this:

OK, message received.

HLV! :sunglasses:

max edits per day is set to 30 here, which is our default. this is configurable by site admins here like @April

Thanks Sam!

@JDRoberts . Just for you, we changed it to a bit more. Now you have to do roughly 3x the edits to get that message now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

This is what the ADA refers to as a “reasonable accommodation” for a person with a disability. :sunglasses: Minor policy change, doesn’t inconvenience anybody else, but acknowledges that sometimes the issues are little different.

4 Likes

@April as suggested posting here. Something changed recently, I’m not longer able to edit some my older posts. I usually keep the first post in a topic as a summary post of the thread etc. I could edit this till last week, this week I don’t see the edit button anymore.
Can this be reenabled please?

1 Like

This is controlled by post edit time limit in site settings @April

It is there to avoid hidden abuse, for example someone could start editing all the posts they created 7 years ago to junk (or spam) and the edits will go unnoticed.

@sam_saffron good point but on the flip side given the nature of a forum (esp popular threads) it can go into hundreds/thousands of posts. For Devs like myself being able to edit the first post is a way to keep things organized. Is there a way to provide the option to edit only the first post for the thread or have say thread owners the ability to their threads for an unlimited time?

1 Like

@sam_saffron - a request, can you please enable the option to edit the first posts of the thread.

@April
This is starting to get me too.

There’s obviously a six-month limit on being able to edit posts, and that’s just not long enough given how technology changes.

For example, harmony, echo, Phillips hue, and LIFX, all have completely different integration today than they had six months ago. Plus the fact that the mobile apps are all completely different now.

We need to be able to edit Our old posts for at least a year.

@slagle

Guys, sorry I missed this - I can only stop by once in a while now, as my role has changed. Slagle, can you figure this out?

1 Like

All set guys, gave you 1.5 years :smile:

1 Like

So, what is the maximum edit limit for a post?

There are two separate edit limits that I know of. One is the number of times you’re allowed to edit per day, and the other is the age of the post. But I don’t think there’s any limit on the total number of times you can edit an individual post other than those two. I’ve gone back into some of the FAQs many times. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Great! and thanks @JDRoberts honestly I can’t even count the number of times you’ve given me the exact info I am looking for. YOUR AMAZING.

3 Likes

That’s because I’ve learned to only answer questions that I have a verifiable answer for. :wink:

5 Likes