Edge PC Control Driver

Still happening?

I haven’t tried this, but can you not first set the shutdown type, then turn the switch off via automation? I’m sure you could in a Rule. Are you needing to dynamically change the shutdown type in an automation or would you set it to one type and just stick with that?

Hmmm, that’s kind of strange. I wonder if the RSM app itself is causing that to happen. All I’m doing is sending an HTTP request to the app. Do these two computers run the same version of Windows? Could there be some other configuration difference that is causing it?

I am still getting a new device every time I run scan nearby.

I found a work around using 2 routines and a 5 sec. delay.

The 1st routine configures the “switch off action”. Then after a 5 second delay the 2nd automation turns the switch off.

So in 1 of my cases when the my office lights turn off, my laptop display turns off 5 seconds later.

Thanks for sharing your hard work.

Any chance you could get some logs? The only way I can conceive this happening is if the driver is crashing and restarting before it has initialized.

Yes, I do that tomorrow.

Both computers are running 22H2 version of windows 10 pro and have similar hardware (intel 7th gen and 8th gen) and just to mention my computer haven´t ever woken from sleep by it´s self before this and powercfg says that it´s my intel wireless AC 9462 that keeps waking the computer.

Unfortunately it seems that the computer has woken from sleep at some point of last night even when the monitoring was disabled, so that wasn´t the problem either. I could try to disable RSM and see if that helps because the (unwanted) wake up should probably happen even without that if it´s caused by the driver and I also could check logs from windows event viewer?

EDIT:
I made a little troubleshooting by turning RSM/driver off and the problem still exists, so it must be something else that keeps waking my computer.

Thanks to logs from @Paul_Oliver, I discovered there was a problem with device initialization, which was causing PC Control devices to be created at each Scan for nearby devices. This was overcome by setting a secret value in device Settings, so the device would still work.

I’ve pushed out a driver to fix this: Version 2023-03-29T22:53:17.210028911

Your driver will be automatically updated. There should be no further action required. However, I did experience a very weird glitch while working on this fix where my device Settings for an existing device somehow disappeared. Very strange. Let me know if you experience this as well. You’ll just need to reset them back.

3 Likes

I forced a driver update, NO additional devices are being generated and I did NOT have a settings glitch.

Thanks for the quick fix.

2 Likes

Mine updated automatically no glitch.

Does this driver also require the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service to be running on the target machine? I wasn’t able to get the LAN Device Monitor to successfully connect to any of my PCs unless WMPNSS was running - which I couldn’t understand since SSDP was already running.

No - it does not use SSDP or UPnP. The Remote Shutdown Manager is accessed with simple HTTP requests.

Can I use this driver to also wake up my pc? It only reacts to the shutdown command. If i put it on my pc stays off.

Your PC’s networking hardware needs to support the Wake-on-LAN functionality. Most PCs do work, and it may just be a matter of enabling it. There are lots of how-to’s if you do a Google search, but if you have a Windows PC, here’s one:

1 Like

Are you interested to check it out is it possible to make the sleep option to work with this on linux:

Interesting project! You could probably use my other WOL switch driver with this.

I tried it, but didn´t manage to get it work. I can get my server now to sleep with HTTP request via browser but I haven´t got this whole reverse MAC thing to work yet. There´s probably something wrong with my configuration that I don´t understand, my knowledge as dabbler is quite limited after all :smiley:

Honestly, I don’t really understand how this reverse mac idea could work, but I guess there is some magic in the code - I haven’t looked at it. WoL packets are typically handled at the hardware level so I don’t how a reversed mac address could even get recognized.

I made some silly mistake with my subnet mask configuration and can now confirm that your PC Control Driver works great with sleep-on-lan with reverse MAC and I can now wake/suspend my fileserver from ST :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for reporting; you might want to make a post into that other driver topic just to make people aware that the sleep-on-lan app that you found can be used with that driver.