[EDGE DEVICE] Simple Harmony Bridge **Alpha Testing**

The driver is 1 years old, so I have some news…

V2 is here

Thanks to everybody who has tested V2 over the weekend, and the sometimes overwhelming offers of help ( who knew so many of you had multiple hubs that wasn’t working and were suffering in silence)

So what does V2 have?

• All of the functionality of V1
  • A new approach and library used for web sockets that really improves reliability of the connection especially for multiple hub users
  • It appears to fix what I now believe was the root cause of the multiple hub issues of V1 (I believe the connections to harmony for each hub were interfering with each other)
  • Better detection of connection failures including reconnection logic (10 attempts to reconnect, timeout management, reconnect on event (after the 10 retries))
  • The ability to reconnect from the UI (no more having to change the ip, and change it back again to force a reconnect) & the ability to add a reconnect to your routines, i.e if you live with a poor network, you can include a re-connect into your routines (although pref should always be to improve the network)

How do I … ?

• Upgrade to the new version 2 - I’ll write a follow up post for that and add the link here (sorry it’s not a smooth automatic update)
  • Reconnect from the UI - A forced reconnection can be done from the UI by performing a ‘refresh’ action. Touching the screen anywhere with the device open and then pulling downwards (at least that is the gesture on android, I presume same on iphone)
  • Reconnect using routines - This is the same approach as using harmony commands from routines, the command is {"action":"refreshConnection"}

The future of V1
I am not going to un-publish V1 yet, but my time is limited so from now forward I will only support issues on V2 of the driver. If you approach me for help, the first question will be ‘which version of the driver are you using?’. So if you face any issues going forward please switch to V2 first to see if the issue persists, then when you message me or post be explicit that you are using V2.

What is the status of V2
It still should be considered beta software, there will be bugs and issues still present.
On the whole, feedback has been really positive for V2

9 Likes