Ecovacs Deebot N79

well, results of the firmware upgrade. not quite as expected;

did not work via;
Mac OSX
Linux
Windows 10

did work via Windows XP (only old one I had lying around).

I did manage to pull the configuration system from the device, which shows custom voice files should be possible :slight_smile: itā€™s just a bunch of Flac files.
some basic config files are on the box, but not much else.
the time settings (time block), basic config for connecting to the right node and silent mode on/offā€¦

it seems to have in total 16gb storage and the boot loader part (where the update goes has) 1 gb space, while the firmware is just over 1 mb.

will see if thereā€™s more I can pull out of the usb interface.

1 Like

Some progress, I hope we actually can get it to at least start and stop a Auto mode. Voice command would be fantastic.

Joel,

I have that part already. Start/Stop auto mode, get battery info, get device info. the voice part you are referring to will most likely come from the home automation system (like Siri with Apple).
At the moment Iā€™m still digging into more commands and traces to see what else I can find, but I could build a working setup in java code to hook into i.e. homebridge. At that point it would be able to connect to Appleā€™s homekit.
Right now all tests have been done on an alive connection to the servers, what I havenā€™t tried is connect, send command, disconnect (i.e. to send the start command) and in say ten minutes send a return to charger command in a new session. all is in their architecture designed around one live session in which all happens.
most likely it will work, but it will also bring delays in the commands.

another part thatā€™s not completed yet, is the initial authentication over web callsā€¦ I have half of them now in the code, but not all. And thereā€™s still one variable (a number in the addressing of the devices that I canā€™t trace back to anything outside of the machine yet).
the devices are targeted with @<node/variable>.ecouser.net, if the <node/variable> is wrong, it will not do a thing.

thatā€™s the major question right now, how to let someone like yourself figure out what that number is, or how to obtain it from the server. Itā€™s available in the device info command, but I canā€™t get that without addressing the robot properly first.

maybe for the fun of things, could you send me a S/N on the Botton of the device to see if the number actually matters ? (Donā€™t worry, I canā€™t control it, itā€™s protected on user level, one cannot control any device outside of itā€™s userā€¦)

Sent in message.

ok, found itā€¦ your N79 is actually model DN622 which has a fixed value of 126ā€¦ so the last unknown is simply the device type as stated in the manual and then a fixed conversion table :wink:

I was not able to pull much from your bot, but at least I know the firmware is 0.1.9 :slight_smile:

(iq to="201707265978bce82e91d@ecouser.net/12345678" type="set" id="5111" from="Sn@126.ecorobot.net/atom")(query xmlns="com:ctl")(ctl td="DeviceInfo")(MID)SN@126.ecorobot.net/atom(/MID)(class)126(/class)(chn v="xb"/)(/ctl)(/query)(/iq)

(iq to="201707265978bce82e91d@ecouser.net/12345678" type="set" id="5112" from="SN@126.ecorobot.net/atom")(query xmlns="com:ctl")(ctl td="version")(ver name="FW")0.1.9(/ver)(/ctl)(/query)(/iq)

(replace sn, and brackets for web view)

So there is still a chance of getting this to work. Thanks for the hopeful news.

Just picked up M88 and N79 models whole they were on sale recently. Canā€™t wait for a DH for these. Thanks for all the work so far guys!

Is there anything I can do to help, I have a development background and just bought a N79 :).

Maybe contact Albert_Louw as he has taken the lead on this one.

@Albert_Louw can you share a link with the code as you have it now? I am willing to alpha test and hunt down bugs.

Also here to test - would love to get the N79 hooked up.

@Albert_Louw Hey Albert, can you share what you have gotten to so far? Have you started turning this into a custom DH yet?

All,

I hadnā€™t had much time to go any further into the code, so the code as it is right now is working for starting / stopping and some more commands.
Itā€™s in java (eclipse project) and can be found at; http://www.ictravi.com/files/ecovacs-v0.1.zip

Hope this helps you guys out into starting your own integrations.

cheers,
Albert

1 Like

I think we should keep going at this. Iā€™ve been really busy so I havenā€™t had time to take a look. As the weather starts to get cold Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll have more time. I can tell you I did contact the product team for the vacuum and they claim to be releases and api at the end of the year, but I wouldnā€™t hold my breath. I heard the same thing from another company (NuHeat floor thermostats), they are 6 months late so far so I did it on my own.

Eric, I am glad someone else is willing to carry on, and help. Thanks.

I just got mail that Deebot M80 pro skill has been added to Alexa. You can do three commands activate, pause and recharge. I wonder if they have released the API for all? Can anyone check if N79 got the access as well?

ECOVACS DEEBOT Skill now supports: DEEBOT M80Pro, M81Pro, M87, M88, R95, R96, R98 and DEEBOT OZMO 610.
We are working hard on enabling more robots to be compatible with Alexa.

1 Like

The 81 is on sale. Looking to get it. How do you guys like these vacs? I mostly need it for hardwood floors where my 6 year old dog likes to pee in front of the doggie doorā€¦

I have 2 N79 vacuums for hardwood floors. My wife and I love them.

Pros

• Cheap
  • They clean
  • They seem to run longer than advertised

Cons

• They are dumb, they go in one direction until they get close to an object (or hit it) and then turn to another random direction. Even though they are dumb, they work.
  • App isnā€™t that great.
  • No ST integration, yet!
  • Has parts that require replacement, but a lot of other vacs to do
1 Like

I have had other robotic vacuums, and this one is far from dumb. I find this one is more able to negotiate from hard wood floors to area rugs with padding, to a marble threshold onto a tile floor, than my more expensive robot. I have also found if you follow the directions about the distance on the left and right and in front of the charger, the robot always finds itā€™s home. Yes it has gotten stuck under a piece of furniture, but so did my Roomba. I have also found that my N79 cleaned my bedroom floor faster than my other robots and then had plenty of battery to do my living room dining room and family room. But again everything with these robots depends on type of floor, size of rooms and how much furniture is in the way. Example in my dining room with a large parsons table and six chairs, the robot takes longer to clean than my much larger den.

1 Like