Ecolink Z-Wave Motion Sensor

@tenzingsherpa How has your battery life been with the motion sensor constantly in test mode? I was thinking of doing the same thing with the one I recently installed in the bedroom but was worried it might cause Issues with battery life or reliability.

@roycebryan Just now i looked at my battery life and it is showing 100%. From the moment i opened it, it has done well. just make sure to be near hub when pairing, and if using to trigger lights put to test mode(5 second delay). Ideally these are great for security motion sensors in normal state with 4 minute delay. However, for the price i got them I was pleased, plus they have amazing range. My favorite motion sensor is still the ST 2nd gen motion sensor, however I want my HA system to be mostly zwave. (because I already have 10+ zwave dimmers that act like repeaters, plus more devices to choose from with zwave)

One thing to note is I found my ST 2nd gen motion sensor to trigger a millisecond earlier than the ecolink motion sensor. I am assuming this is because of the properties of zigbee versus zwave, with zigbee being faster than zwave. However, your mileage may vary. Good luck :).

Thanks vbandit! Everything works perfect. Excellent step by step help.

setting this up for motion sensor on living room to turn on the light with jumper for PET2.
it does not detect my 3yr old movement, even if i ask him to jump around.
So need to increase the sensitivity.

have concern if i set as PET1 jumper, it will activate when the vacuum robot moving ā€¦
Anyone using this motion detector around vacuum robot ā€¦ anyone success with PET1 setting ?
the vacuum robot usually only scheduled to work when we are not home.
i want to set the motion detection active to complement to my security panel at home.
so it need to not register the robot movement while we set to away.

Well after several hours of consulting this thread and trying to get this thing to pair with ST, I give up. I bought the Ecolink because it was a best seller on Amazon, the price was right, and most of all, because it is what appears to be an officially supported device by SmartThings. Iā€™m disappointed to say that that is a whole lot of a baloney. This will not pair for me.

For kicks, I tried to pair this with a Wink hub and it paired up no problem on the first attempt.

Iā€™m boxing these up and sending them right back. (bought a 2-pack) Even if I got the sensors to pair now, thereā€™s no way I would ever want to go through this fiasco again.

Iā€™m about to go try pairing the Ecolink door/window sensors but I really donā€™t want to.

Hi guys,
Iā€™m in the same boat - light and 2 power outlets - first time = correct device and working.

This ecolink motion sensor after 3 adds and removes, now displays ā€˜no dataā€™ - only thing it shows if I remove the cover (would be easier to swtich the switch!) - occasionally displayed as a door/windows sensor.

Can someone from Smartthings please review this officially and come back to the thread.
Not entirely sure I agree this is a supported device!

Many thanks

I hate being beaten by technology so gave it another few chances - deleted the device from the app (and it reappears) so again deleted it from the web portal paired (and repeated) and it works. There is no reason it took 5 goes?!

I think it still needs reviewing

Support doesnā€™t officially review the community threads, but since itā€™s on the ā€œworks with SmartThingsā€ list, you should be able to get their help if you email support@smartthings.com

@April , any word on this device?

Resetting my hub then pairing worked for me.

Hey ultrazero
for how long does it work for you after 2 - 3 days ST and my ecolink stop talking to each other

Havenā€™t stopped talking yet. Theyā€™re best friends.

2 Likes

@vbandit - wow, youā€™re great!!! I have 5 of these and the 5th one refused to pair until I tried your latest tip, and that worked perfectly. To anyone else having this problem, give this a try. And like vbandit said, once paired these sensors rock so it is worth it.

New to the forum. Hope this is not off topic.

Iā€™ve read the ecolink has two reporting sensors??? Iā€™ve got 4 of these and only see the motion sensor. Is the tamper switch implemented? I found the following excerpt from an Amazon review.

ā€œIt is a standard-sized format Z-Wave enabled motion sensor which I have paired with my Raspberry Pi/Domoticz z-wave home control setup. Pairing was simple: insert the battery and switch your z-wave controller into inclusion mode. It was found immediately with no issues and is reported in Domoticz (OpenZWave) as two separate sensors: the motion sensor and a tamper switch. The tamper switch is simply an on/off switch to advise when the case has been opened.ā€

Only the sensor will be shown in the Smartthings system. The tamper switch is invisible to the Z-wave network in ST. I have no clue what Domoticz is aboutā€¦

My 2 ecolink motion detectors worked beautifully until I updated my app recently. At that time, I lost my husbandā€™s iphone and both motion detectors. I canā€™t reconnect them. Iā€™ve tried the steps at the beginning of this thread but no luck. There is a pin hole in the back of the device and Iā€™ve tried it in case it was a reset in addition to putting the battery back in,

Thanks alot this worked for me .

How do you get these motion sensors to show the battery life? All mine shows in ST is Motion.

I am using Z-Wave Motion Sensor DTH and itā€™s showing battery. You can check the DTH from IDE https://graph.api.smartthings.com for SHA1

Would I have to exclude it and add it again using the z-wave motion sensor DTH? How do I do that?

Actually I was just looking at this in the ST Developer and it does show as the Z-wave Motion Sensor and I can see the battery life in there but it doesnā€™t show on my ST on my phone. Is there any way to get it to show in the ST app?