Ecolink window sensor (DWZWAVE2.5-ECO) Tamper alert?

I’m new to SmartThings and home automation in general. So far I’ve set up the hub, a Dome siren and a couple window sensors to test things out. Everything is connecting up fine, but I can’t find a way to trigger anything if the window sensors are tampered with. “covering was removed” is reported in the sensors event log, there just doesn’t seem to be anything I can do with that information.

Do I need a custom device handler or something?

I’m primarily using this to keep the kids from sneaking in and out of the house through the basement windows, If all they have to do is pop the cover and remove the battery it’s not going to work for very long.

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #2

Yes you’ll probably need a custom handler that reports opening as a tamper and then a SmartApp (like this one) to act on those tamper notifications or something like CoRE to create a rule to do it.

Thanks for the quick response! Creating a device handler was a little farther down the rabbit whole than I wanted to go this soon :yum:, but I’ll have to give it a shot.

Do we have a way to see the default device handler code SmartThings is using as a starting point? I imagine tweaking something that already exists would be easier than starting from scratch.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #4

Yep you can find it in the IDE when you create a new device handler, you can use the from template option and select the door/window sensor.