Ecobee4 is avalable Now - The best Thermostat on the market according to CNET!

I am disappointed too with the issue. I have an Echo close to my ecobee4 and both respond to my commands simultaneously. I know I can move my echo somewhere else but that really is a workaround not a solution.

ecobee (@ecobee) tweeted at 4:10 PM on Wed, Sep 27, 2017:
We heard you loud and clear… We’re excited to announce #amazon & #ecobee are beta testing #ESP on ecobee4. #AmazonEvent

2 Likes

I can’t find that tweet anymore. Looks like they deleted it.

Another good review for Ecobee:

Just released: better integration with google Assistant:

Regards.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Why_ecobee_vs._other_connected_thermostats.3F

Especially with My Ecobee device which brings the best of both world: ST and ecobee working together for more comfort & energy savings at your home!

Regards.

Lol… You never fail to make me laugh!
I’m not sure how to comment on this purely subjective statement…
The only advantage Ecobee has over Nest is Remote sensors and having an Alexa service built in is just a gimmick, but that was never the motivation behind your post!

Isn’t this statement hard to quantify from an ST perspective?
Don’t you require only positive user feedback in exchange for free code and/or software updates?

If you read my threads, you might learn something about smart Thermosats and smart zoning!! LOL!

Till then, good luck with your Nest!

That might be the funniest statement you’ve made so far!
The only thing I could ever learn from you is what not to do as a dev and a person. Thanks for the wishes I will definitely stick with my Nest.

I’ve never said anything against Nst Manager (knowing the lack of good APIs from Nest)… I’m talking about
the Nest thermostat here.

BTW, few reviews from people switching from Nest to Ecobee (and my ecobee device):

Good luck again.

Not really familiar with either Nest or Ecobee, but why is Ecobee better? What can you do with Ecobee that you cannot do with a Nest or for that matter, why paying extra for a “smarter” thermostat when a zigbee or zwave is a whole lot cheaper than super discounted $199 Ecobee… I can see the advantage of Ecobee over others because it comes with an Echo device inside, but is that it?

Based on those 3 reviews I don’t see a superior product, just frustrated people that a Nest integration didn’t exist or they were unaware of the one that exists…

It’s been documented for a while:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Why_ecobee_vs._other_connected_thermostats.3F

• Latest comparison between the ecobee lite and the most recent Nest E

https://www.ecobee.com/2017/09/whats-the-difference-between-ecobee3-lite-and-the-new-nest-thermostat-e/

And, don’t forget the awesome integation with SmartThings…

• You cannot compare z-wave or zigbee thermostats to ecobee, it’s like apples and oranges. No Z-wave or zigbee thermostats are able to achieve what ecobee can do (even with the best HA scripts and ST with its reliability issues).

Regards.

I have been looking for a reason to switch from a zwave to a “smarter” thermostat for years. Blank statements like this are the main reason I haven’t done it. The official Ecobee comparison is a weak attempt to differentiate. Speaks nothing about the real value over Nest. I see the extended warranty as a benefit, the the other “advantages” are check marks on a piece of paper as most are not applicable to 99% of the customers in the US. Both Nest and Ecobee are Energy Star rated, both claim to save more than 20% energy than a regular thermostat. Ecobee claims 23% savings over Nest’s 20%, but Nest is the only one who “learns” your habits over time, while Ecobee is as dumb as a zwave thermostat. Honestly, I achieved more than 20% savings by using a zwave thermostat integrated with SmartThings. I can average the room temperatures by using existing sensors in my home, without spending 40 bucks on additional Ecobee sensors to adjust for cold/hot spots for better comfort. I still don’t see a real advantage of Ecobee over Nest, other than esthetic features.

That’s your opinion, but a lot of people disagree as ecobee thermostats are more and more popular…

And, as I live in the Northeast, I want a reliable thermostat that will help me go through rough winters and heavy summers without having to rely on SmartThings. I don’t want to wake too cold or too hot in the middle of the night.

It really depends where you live and if reliability is critical for you or not.

I personally can live with my lights not turning on/off on time, but relying on a zwave or zigbee thermostat as the main thermostat in my home is the wrong choice, especially with a hub like SmartThings (or any similar hub).

Zwave/Zigbee thermostats are fine for me as secondary thermostats ( I have several in my home for baseboard heaters), but NOT as the main thermostat.

And, I don’t think that your statement about Ecobee is correct: it’s way smarter than any ZWave/Zigbee thermostats, and way more reliable to actually adjust the setpoints according to real data coming from all its remote sensors, not pseudo learning “algorithm” which is supposed to detect your habits… The Nest cannot even correctly detect if you’re home or away as the thermostat relies only on its immediate surroundings to make this assumption. When your Nest is located in a small hallway, how do you think it will work?

Just carefully read the reviews at Amazon about the Nest, and you’ll see that the Nest algorithm is wrong most of the time. And, then,carefully read the Ecobee review, and you’ll see the value of remote sensors.

My 2 cents.

EDIT: And, there are reviews from all those technical magazines that I posted in this thread if you feel that I’m bias…

As a Google home user, I am less tempted to buy an ecobee since I will have no use for Alexa.

I use a Nest and have had no problems with it. (It looks cool, too) If I want to have multiroom sensors all I have to do is avg my zwave/Zigbee sensors and use NST manager.

Truth be told though, averaging the temps throughout the house is not going to get rid of cold/hot spots. It will give you an average of the home, giving you a more accurate representation of temperature, but the cold/hot spots will stay exactly where they are.

You can potentially address cold/hot spots with a higher end variable speed furnace and a dedicated communicating thermostat, but those are not easily integrated into SmartThings.

By the way, why is there a section in the thingsthataresmart wiki touting ecobee as superior? That sort of (extreme) product praise seems out of place there.

1 Like

See it’s crap like this that makes you less credible.
Now i will agree that the Ecobee API is much more open than Nest’s (at the moment) but Nest’s is more than robust enough to suit almost everybody’s needs.
What bothers me most is you basically stating Nest is a less reliable thermostat in comparison to Ecobee and that’s total BS. I myself live in the Northeast and never have issues with my Nest working ever (accept when i shorted out the backplate doing something i shouldn’t… Nest had me a new one the next morning).
The only reason I even got engaged in this conversation is because you are only posting your “opinions” to drum up business for yourself. If you didn’t post a link to your product every chance you got and I would just look at this like another users opinion and move on. With that said I like what Ecobee offers and have thought about grabbing one to try out because i myself like having access to all available data. I’m not such a diehard Nest fan that I’m not open minded to better products but i don’t feel that it Ecobee is in any way a superior product to the Nest it’s just a different option. Basically like making a choice between Android and iOS. They both work really well.

The Nest is not smarter than a zwave/zigbee thermostat when connected to SmartThings as you need to totally rely on SmartThings for its scheduling, which is not reliable (look up for scheduler fail in the ST community forum, you’ll know what I mean).

With the current Nest APIs, you don’t have access to the following (and you can testify about it as you know the APIs):

• The current program
  • The current programmed setpoints
  • Any way to resume your current scheduled program
  • Your runtime data, for example: stats about your running time of your main HVAC components
  • Your sensors’ motion data

So, yes, the Nest is not really smarter than a zwave/zigbee thermostat when connected to ST.

All this can be achieved with the ecobee APIs.

So, is it crap or not? Who is credible?

The ST community wiki is open for everybody and I can post any content I want… Whether you like my content or not. BTW, I was not the only one to contribute to this content, JDRoberts and Rboy contributed as well for the zwave/zigbee thermostats and the comparison with the ecobee.

Again WRONG!..
NST Manager does scheduling and remote sensors and way more the only feature i didn’t add was zoning yet.
Remember when I added scheduling to NST you IM’d me and called me all sorts of names and told me I was stealing your creative spirit.

BTW there is almost 7000 Nest users who connected to ST using NST and all seem to be very happy

1 Like