EchoSistant How-To and Peer Assistance

Not a worry… lot’s of folks here to help…

Let me ask some questions…

Do you have external speakers that you want to send verbal messages to?
Do you want to set up a room profile, like the Living Room where you can
control groups of devices?

I have some of the samsung radiant speakers id like to have messages sent to.
As far as a room profile, that makes sense. Is that basically what a profile is?

Ok, awesome… there are a lot of different things you can do with the profiles…

let’s start with a messaging profile… (fyi the core purpose of EchoSistant is communication, every thing is built around that concept).

You will tap on “Messaging and control profiles”, then tap on Create a new profile

• Give your profile a name “LivingRoom” (it all needs to be ONE word)
  • tap on “Send these message types”
    • choose your speaker there, and set the volume you want the playback to be
  • tap on “Message Output Settings”
    • Choose the options that you want for your profile
  • tap done and you now have a basic communication profile.

You must now create your AWS skill for this profile. Just follow the wiki for that… it goes step by step.

So the response option is that to be something generic like ok or done?
Now that I’ve done this what does it control? Does this profile act as a “room” that if I say something like “tell living room to turn on everything” it will turn on all lights and any other device that could be turned on?

There is a built in response already in the program. You do not have to put in a custom response, unless you want to. You can put in premessages as well, these will play before your spoken message.

Yes… sort of… you select your lights in the lights section. You can then say, Alexa, turn on the lights in the living room.

You can also create custom groups… let’s say… you make one called movies and you select your Harmony switches… you would say, Alexa, turn on the movies in the living room

1 Like

Ok, I think I’ve got a pretty good grasp of it now. Thanks so much for walking me through that.

1 Like

No problem… Ask away and if you can make suggestions to improve the wiki let me know…

I need to make it more new user friendly

Ok I’ve got things rolling pretty good but now if I say “The lights are too bring in the livingroom” i get a reply of "sorry i couldn’t find a device or group named livingroom in Aaron’s account"
I set up a “livingroom” profile and if i say tell living room its bed time it tells me its bed time… ?

Ok, so to be on the same page…

You say, Alexa, tell the living room it’s bed time… and then your speaker says, “It’s bed time”

if that is true… then things are working…

ok…did you choose the light devices in your profile?

also, in the Main Home Control section, tap on “Change Defaults” and then tap done all the way out of the app.

Then say, “Alexa, it is too bright in the living room”

Oh turns out when i say “tell the livingroom it’s bedtime” it makes a noise but never responds so something’s not right.

I went back and looked at the invocation name and put a space between living room and now its working

good catch… the invocation phrase should be logically correct…

1 Like