Echo Speaks Examples

@MinerJason, would you happen to have an example, or could point in the direction of one, on how to use this built in weather feature. I am a bit of a novice, and really go by other peoples samples of things.

Thanks man, hope you are having a great holiday.

Hmmm… that’s strange… WebCoRE is a beast and sometimes it’s difficult to troubleshoot.

The only Piston that I have that actually sends out mass messages is my Message Control Piston.

In this piston, I have the one trigger… IF the variable changes.

I then have all of the actions occur with DO actions instead of IF/THEN. The DO actions are determined which applies by the RESTRICTIONS on each one. I do use the SPEAK command, so I don’t think that is it.

Sometimes in WC it can be something super simple that throws it all out of whack.

I would start by starting the Piston at a basic level. Try only one door sensor and one echo. When the door opens it says only one thing. Once that is working, build upon it and expand… Constantly testing as you go to ensure you didn’t break anything.

It can be a slow process, but be patient, you won’t regret it. When I start building a piston it can take me days to get all of the logic correct and doing exactly what I want. But once it’s done… I hardly ever have to go back into them.

As it turns out, although that one Piston seemed to shut everything down. Now Echo Speaks just seems to be shutting it self down after awhile, forcing me to do the authentication thing again. I dont know what could be causing this; and it is a bit scary for me, as I went around my house, and tore down all my old contact sensors, that would speak in my old system, as soon as I seen I could get them to speak with this.

IS there something I am missing with the Heirko app thingy? Where it keeps logging me out or something?

The example piston I posted for you in the other thread uses it for average high/low temp for today’s date, current temp, and current wind conditions. Here’s the wiki that shows everything you can access and the syntax for each parameter/variable:
https://wiki.webcore.co/Weather

Awesome! I just got around to set this up. Works great. Thank you for sharing the shortcut and the great documentation!
I made a small change (thanks for your example! I am learning more about shortcuts!) I replaced the text input with “dictate text” .
This way I can simply say what I want the Echo device to say rather than type it.

[EDIT] Thinking about it more… (sorry, not Echo Speaks related!). If you use iOS Shortcuts and Webcore this way you could also do other things like turn on/off switches or run routines etc. This is a simple Homekit-like integration of SmartThings with iOS… genious!

1 Like

Based on @fraineal great work I created a iOS Siri Shortcut and a piston that lets me play amazon music on an echo via spoken Siri commands only. You need two commands:
(1) command to invoke the Shortcut
(2) [name of song] on [name of speaker]

Piston:

Shortcut:

1 Like

Great work, do you mind sharing your ios shortcut link?

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/0310cee046e14b8eb607dd2d44a342c4

Great thank you

1 Like

Just what I was looking for, thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

I thought they closed support for the API

My understanding is that WU scheduled termination of free api keys for last night at midnight. I believe people with private weather stations feeding data to WU were exempt from this. I’m not sure how/why, but the api key being used by webCoRE seems to be working still. That could easily change in the very near future, and if/when it does I’ll need to start looking for alternatives.

WU was not working well for me at all. That’s why I moved to accuweather. Not as locally detailed, but it is close enough for jazz.

Did you ever figure out the cause for this? Mine did it randomly on 2 occasions. Since I updated the other day it has not done it again, but knock on wood just in case. Hopefully the new update fixed whatever was causing it for both of us.

@bamarayne - I tried this piston and it didn’t work for me. What did I do wrong? Here’s the log:
6:36:08 PM +560ms
+2ms ╔Received event [Nathan].presence = present with a delay of 145ms
+224ms ║Runtime (45315 bytes) successfully initialized in 155ms (v0.3.109.20181207) (221ms)
+225ms ║╔Execution stage started
+260ms ║║Executed virtual command [Echo - Jerry’s Echo Dot].setVariable (4ms)
+272ms ║║Error executing virtual command [Echo - Jerry’s Echo Dot].setVariable: (2ms) groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: result for class: script_app_5dd8b931c412c3fafd79a95b7c56d95b4b2a9898b6bdae6fc68c22ea431e43c7
+279ms ║║Error executing virtual command [Echo - Jerry’s Echo Dot].setVariable: (1ms) groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: result for class: script_app_5dd8b931c412c3fafd79a95b7c56d95b4b2a9898b6bdae6fc68c22ea431e43c7
+302ms ║╚Execution stage complete. (78ms)
+304ms ║Setting up scheduled job for Fri, Jan 4 2019 @ 6:38:08 PM CST (in 119.98s)
+313ms ╚Event processed successfully (313ms)

Please post a snapshot of the piston… it’s easiest to start there.

This script appears to only set variables. What is making use of them? There probably is another script or missing code that “speaks” the text.

I been good for awhile now. I think during testing I was just hitting it too hard, so it was penalizing me.