Echo Naming Quirks

Yes, that’s exactly how it goes.

What happens is that as Amazon adds more native commands and capabilities, things that used to work now run into reserved word parsing.

For example, back in August 2015 I had a virtual switch name “power” so I could say “turn power off” and it worked great for a couple of months. Then it stopped working because echo tried to turn itself off when I said “turn power off.” I ended up changing the name of that switch altogether.

You can report it to Amazon support and see what they say.

1 Like

This is the one thing driving me nuts with the Echo. Do they have any sort of official published guide or list of these reserved words?

1 Like

Ok… so i renamed it garage system, to match media system and bedroom system (both which work). But garage system now replies with that command doesn’t work with garage system.

WTF?

1 Like

You just have to experiment. It could be “garage” that’s the problem.

Unfortunately no, it makes me crazy.

2 Likes

lAmazon sent me their number last night after I indicated I’m having problems for the second night in a row.

2 nights ago I could turn a specific device on but not off.

Last night I can.no longer say “Turn on Bedroom AC Mode” as I keep getting “I cannot find a device named bedroom AC”. It will NOT acknowledge the word Mode no matter what I try…

“Turn on Sleep Mode” still works fine…

I used to be able to use “every thing” naming with 2 separate words, but a couple months ago it stopped working, so now I use “all items”…

I once sent an email about not being able to activate my wife’s profile by name (Fong Fong), they replied saying she has a “very beautiful but unusual name…” which made me laugh…

Everytime I open a ticket with them they want me to call them which I have no patience for. Like I need help saying “close blinds”.?!!!

1 Like

They want to talk to you over the phone so the support agent can hear what the echo is doing. It speeds up their diagnostic process.

If you sign up to have them call you you don’t have to wait on hold, and in my experience they get back to you very quickly.

So it’s your choice, but they do have a reason.

Totally understand. For now, I am moving my blinds and garage door integration to IFTTT’s trigger integration which will now work regardless of what Amazon does with reserved words. So now, I am using Yonomi/Alexa for Harmony integration, IFTTT/Alexa for ST garage door and blinds integration and Alexa and Nest seperately. Yikes. I am sick of Amazon phrases not working out of no where. In all fairness to them, these weren’t officially supported via the ST integration though.

On that note, I just sent this note to both Amazon and IFTTT. I am curious what the responses will be. Ironically, my wife was not a big fan of the word “trigger” before the most recent tragedy in Orlando. I don’t want to turn this into a political post about gun control, but I feel these companies should be a little more sensitive to what is going on in the world. Thoughts? Anyone else not like this word? It’s really about having my toddlers hearing it.

In light of recent gun violence and tragedy in our country, I am proposing to Amazon and IFTTT to eliminate the word “trigger” as a keyword for the integration and replace it with a more suitable term. Saying “Alexa trigger” in front of my 3 year old is not really ideal.

1 Like

I’m pretty aware of violence sensitivity issues ( Long story, but these issues tend to come up in wheelchair user groups and forums ), but I honestly have no problem at all with the word trigger. But maybe that’s an engineering background. Having one event trigger another is just standard tech talk to me. It doesn’t make me think of guns.

Still, I’d be fine if Amazon offered an alternative for those who wanted one. I just as soon keep “trigger” for myself, though. It’s easy to say and unusual so it’s easy for echo to recognize. Choice is good. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Say “Tigger” instead (without the R) …I’m sure your 3 year old has heard that before …it works.

3 Likes

That worked great! Very clever. :heart_eyes:

I guess IFTTT’s server is in the 100 Acre Wood.

2 Likes

Thanks. I too come from a engineering background and the use of the word trigger didn’t occur to me as offensive until my wife (a non technical person) brought it up.

Amazons response. I replied saying options are good as some people would still like the word trigger:

I completely understand and agree with you.

The recent gun violence is something that is outrageous and needs to be condoned.

My sincere condolences go with all those who were affected.

As you rightly suggested, the word “trigger” does seem like something that needs to be used as sporadically as possible in light of the recent events.

I have personally transferred your suggestion on a high priority to our development and senior management immediately.

if your comments even slightly impact these frequent painful events, that will be a reason to celebrate for all of us.

However, this might take sometime as the very basic structure of both IFTTT and Amazon Alexa need to be revamped.

I am sure you will impact a lot of people in a positive way which is what we need now-a-days- people like you !

1 Like

That’s a nice personal heartfelt reply…you can tell the Amazon author put some thought into it and it wasn’t a form letter. You might want to help the guy out in case he wants to use this letter with other folks that are concerned. He will want to change the word condoned to condemned to accurately reflect his intention.

2 Likes

“Trigger” has multiple definitions, though the root is from Dutch “trekken”: to pull or travel. That’s where the word “trek” comes from y’all Star Trekkies!

It’s great to have alternative words, that’s why languages have large vocabularies. But I personally think it is important to have context – and to teach, even 3 year olds – context.

• To “jump the gun” for example, has nothing to do with gun violence: It’s referring to a starter’s pistol for a running race.

• When SmartThings “crashes”, there are rarely injuries as in a car crash.

• If a movie “bombs”, it’s also definitely not an act of destruction or terror.

4 Likes

I will Run this by the wife and let you know what she says!

1 Like

Not to make light of anything that has occurred, because I believe the scum that perform these actions have a special place in hell.

But really, offended by a word? To not let a child hear a word because to you it’s scary.

I have to say this, people that believe this type of hide your head in the sand behavior fixes anything, are just as much a part of the problem as those that are pulling the offensive words.

When your child gets to college, how will she know to run and hide when a guest speaker might say a “trigger word”?

Personally, I teach my children about the true ways of the world, the good, the bad, the horrible. I prefer they have a free will, speak their minds, and form their own opinions.

I do not believe in teaching my kids to be a victim.

To be offended Iis a personal choice. Ask yourself why the word trigger offends you. Ask yourself why any word offends you. Ask yourself why this post offends.

Is it because you disagree? Are your beliefs different than mine? Does that make me a racist, a honophobe, or a bad person? Or does it make you those things because you disagree with me?

Actually, it’s neither. It’s a word. Nothing more, nothing less. It will not hurt you. It will not kill you. It will not cause you any harm. It’s nothing more than the sum of multiple letters.

To be offended is a choice. Choose intelligence over ignorance.

3 Likes

What do you call it when the Alexa request works 2 out of 5 attempts? I have renamed things a few times due to this inconsistency, but I’m puzzled by it. I even tried renaming my “power off everything” switch to the name of “Boobtube” and that apparently is not acceptable. Now, neither is television or direcTv which worked prior to this week. What’s even odder is that Alexa gives me ALL the error messages–and believe me, I’m stubborn enough to repeat the same request 5 times…it may work once, so I try again, then here comes the error messages.

Now, even my “power off” switch doesn’t work at all even though I do believe I have kept the set up the same. I can ask Alexa to “turn on THE TV” (if that doesn’t work, she’ll go with “turn on TV”) and even though I have a separate simulated switch (momentary button didn’t work well for me) for the OFF, I can say "turn OFF TV (or THE TV) and it will go off…at times…

If I didn’t drink before, I can feel the urge to start…LOL

Honestly, I’ve switched over to IFTTT for anything not directly supported by Alexa and it’s worked out well so far. I use Yonomi for Harmony integration but that still can be impacted by reserved words.

2 Likes