Echo Dot and Sonos Play 5

I have a Sonos Play 1 in every room in my house and a Playbar+Sub in my family room. If I purchase a Play 5 can I plug the Echo Dot into the Play 5 and be able to control Amazon Music from my Echo Dot so it plays on the rest of the Sonos system?

Play 5 has a analog audio in, so I don’t see why not. To Play on all your other Sonos Zones you would need to have them in the same group as the Play 5.

I just ordered the Echo Dot. It’s actually the first thing I have ordered via voice and Alexa…dangerous…

Let us know when you try it. :wink:

This should,work I don’t see why not. However depending how loud you listen to your music the echo might not hear you or have a hard time understanding. I have two play 1’s linked together and even when the system is on volume 10 my echo can’t understand me until I yell at it. I just don’t think it would make a good experience but it’s a neat idea everyone wants to do.

If Dot is like the standard Echo, it cancels out the Sonos speakers. That is the real beauty of this idea.

Tucked under the light ring is an array of seven microphones that use beam-forming technology and enhanced noise cancellation. With the same far-field voice recognition as Amazon Echo, Echo Dot can hear you ask a question from any direction—even while playing music.

This feature would only work with the one connected to the Sonos 5, however.

This gave me a great idea because in my living room now, I have a Sonos Playbar, sub and 2 play 1’s with my Echo. I never listen to music on the Echo since I have Sonos in that room. Now I can move my Echo Dot into that room, but I see the problem is only a Play 5 or amp has a line in :(.

However, I have an amp downstairs that is connected to external speakers outside on my deck. Can I also plug the dot into it and control Sonos via voice commands that way? I think then my problem is it will play on my external speakers outside as well which I wouldn’t want most of the time…

It should output to any powered speaker that has an analog input. It will also work as a (very small) speaker for Bluetooth with stop/play control over Alexa with things like your phone/tablet.

“Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming from your mobile device to Echo Dot or from Echo Dot to your bluetooth speaker. Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of connected mobile devices. Hands-free voice control is not supported for Mac OS X devices. Bluetooth speakers requiring PIN codes are not supported.”

I too ordered one by voice and promptly turned off the one-click (voice) purchasing again. I currently own an Echo and FireTV. Bought the Dot for upstairs and Tap for desktop speaker, patio, etc.

By the way, the new Sonos 5 has a microphone in it. I always suspected they would use this to come out with an Alexis type product. Regardless, it would be nice if they could integrate with Alexis. And since Alexis is getting so much traction, it only makes sense they integrate with it (or a competitor will beat them to it).

This would give home automation a fully integrated ears and voice.

I had a similar thought since I have a Play 5 in the living room. Let us know how well it works!

Two things:

1. I absolutely love this idea. Combining Alexa and Sonos is about as good as it gets.
  2. Not sure I’m ready to drop $600 (Sonos 5 + Echo) to make this happen
    But still, If I had the S5, I’d be all over this.
1 Like

So I went for it and purchased a Play 5 and connected it to my Echo Dot. It worked pretty well. You can have the line-in auto-play so it will take over the Play 5 and anything in the predefined group.

Here are the pros:

• Auto Play when talking to Echo Dot

• Access to Amazon Prime Music library through Echo Dot

Here are the Cons:

• You have to pre-define your Sonos groups which takes away from the magic if you don’t have it setup properly.

• Once you play music through Echo Dot you can’t control the music play list from you device (i.e. iPad, iPhone). It has to be through vocie.

• The inverse is also an issue. You can’t use your voice to control music if you started your playlist on your device. These cons may be obvious, but it really illustrates that the integration is not there.

In my case the cons were overwhelming. It is a half-baked attempt to get the control I want, but since there is no official integration it just doesn’t work for me. I returned my Play 5 the next day. I’m a big Sonos fan, but I wish they were more on the cutting-edge. I read an interview with the CEO of Sonos that took place last month just now and he is quoted as saying that Amazon Echo like functionality will come to Sonos. Maybe their approach is the right one as all this stuff is in the early stages.

I came up with the same conclusion:

I have a Sonos playbar surround system with a Sonos CONNECT. I put a y-connector on the audio output of the Dot and fed one to my Sonos Connect Input and one to a Small external speaker. The external speaker lets the DOT act like a regular echo when not passing audio to the Connect. When the audio is passed to the connect I get a much richer sound using my Sonos system. I also added a Bluetooth transmitter to the output of my connect and transmit to an outdoor bluetooth UB megaboom. It all works pretty will with some issues as follows:

1. Depending on the size and volume of the small speaker off the y-connector you can get some echo
  2. Sometimes I have to force the DOT to push through to Sonos by using my Sonos interface to regroup the line-in with the playbar. No sure why it is not consistent but frankly I find the Sonos grouping methodology confusing and inconsistent at best.
  3. With regards to the external bluetooth speaker I definitely have latency issues that I don’t believe have anything to do with the Dot in the circuit. I find this more frustrating than an other issues. Any ideas?

Overall the experience is good in my opinion. A significant improvement in audio quality pushing the Dot through Sonos rather than an echo all by itself.

Hi all

Is it possible to use the Echo Dot to control the Sonos speaker through Smartthings?

So what I wanted to do was use Echo to provide all sound through the sonos, via smarthtings, to play music, feedback on questions and confirmation on actions, rather than through physically or Bluetooth connection.

That way, I would have the Echo dot placed on a wall in the kitchen, with a connected speaker in the other corner of the room, with the two connected via smarthings.
Thanks

I’ve seen some workaround solutions but nothing that works as well as you’d like. That said official Echo/Sonos integration is coming soon!

ST might not be the best way. Right now, the best way is by doing this approach:

Which is not easy to do do and not that flexible. I use it on my setup at home and it works well, but you have to supply your invocations (vocal commands) and you cannot say something like “play “Piano Man by Billy Joel” in the Kitchen”. It can only play playlists or favorites.

I would wait until 2017 when Sonos releases the integration, which does not need ST at all.