Echo and Multiple SmartThings Locations (Hubs)

I don’t think SmartThings has prioritized a proper solution. At least support told me that while multiple location OAUTH support is still on the radar “I wouldn’t hold out for it on the short term”.

However Account Sharing may enable an approach like @MichaelS original attempt to work. You could have each SmartThings hub/location on its own SmartThings account. And each echo on its own amazon account. Then you could link each echo with the appropriate local smartthings account owner and control the devices that way.

You might able to avoid the multiple amazon accounts if you used the ifttt trigger functionality. You could create multiple ifttt accounts that all link to the same amazon account. Then you could link each ifttt account to a different SmartThings account/location authorizing the appropriate devices. I think that would work so long as you didn’t override recipes. I haven’t tested but I’m not sure what the echo would do if you said “Alexa trigger turn on the bedroom lights”. I assuming all of your IFTTT accounts would recieve the phrase and if multiple recipes matched you could turn on the lights in multiple locations’ bedrooms… To avoid that you’d probably want distinct recipes per location.

Of course you would retain control off all locations in the smartthings app via Account Sharing…

Interesting the update I got from Support on Nov 16th was there was no immediate plan for resolving the issue with OAUTH on multiple locations. Can you clarify how the platform update resolved the issue of a SmartThings seeing all OAUTH requests from the same third party as the same and restricting those singular requests to one location?

You’re saying for every child dashboard you’re able to generate a unique OAUTH client-id? Whereas for most third party services. Take IFTTT for example even if I sign into my SmartThings account with a totally different IFTTT account, the integration still uses the same client-id and thus has the singular location restriction…

1 Like

Not quite: You don’t get a unique “client-id”, but rather a unique INSTALLATION-ID … i.e., Each installed Instance of any SmartApp gets a unique “$app.id” (that’s what it is referenced as from inside the SmartApp instance, btw), and the OAuth process returns this by just calling the “/endpoints” REST-API.

This should be sufficient for any Third-Party service to keep a list of Locations under a SmartThings Account and link to them in one IFTTT or Amazon Echo account. (heck, even multiple SmartThings Accounts, actually, since the user could use different logins for each new “connection” they create.

So it is entirely supported on the SmartThings Platform (and we’ve demonstrated it with SmartTiles).

Maybe I should start a new thread on this but I’m seeing issues with multiple locations/accounts and Echo integration. I have 3 locations in my account, 2 of which were shared with me (parents and GF). I have also shared my location with my GF. I’ve had an Echo for a few months and it has worked great with ST integration. In November I bought an Echo for the GF but she didn’t install it until about a week ago, at which time she also integrated it with ST. At that time my Echo started telling me that none of my ST devices were responding when I’d issue a command. When I opened the Alexa app I could see her devices in my Connected Home area. I unlinked, relinked, discovered devices, and the same thing happened again. Even though I was selecting location 1 during the link process it would populate my account with devices from location 2. Her account was doing the same thing in reverse. Even better, it totally worked - I could control stuff at her house from my Echo and vice-versa.

The only way I was able to solve the problem was to remove her from my ST account. I’m not sure if this is a SmartThings issue, and Amazon issue, or some combination of the two. Has anyone else run into this?

I solved my multiple location issue with simply creating two SmartThings accounts and two Alexa account, then writing a cloud interface app that allows one account to control the other. While I include this with my Alexa Helper app, the cloud interface app can be used to generate URLs for either house.

Read up on it here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper

Specifically here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper#Cloud_Interface_Smart_App_Setup

1 Like

Are you and your GF sharing an Amazon account? I would have assumed that your Alexa app would be connected to just your echos and connected to your SmartThings account which could presumably see other locations but you would keep it connected to your location and your devices.

Then her Amazon Account would have her Alexa app with just her Echo and Her SmartThings account which could presumably see your location but she’d keep it connected to her location and her devices.

Of course this is all my assumption. My echo’s are under 1 Amazon account and my locations are under 1 SmartThings account so I haven’t been able to experiment with the 1 to 1 configuration, just seems like it would work in principle.

Nope, two different Amazon accounts. Her Echo was ordered from my account so before it was activated it showed in my Alexa app but once she unboxed it and got it running it disappeared. The only connection between our accounts is the fact that we have granted ST access to each other.

I actually use Alexa Helper in both locations, thanks for that app! Paired with Switch Mania it’s very nice. However, in my case I just want her Echo to control her stuff and mine to control my stuff. :smile:

Interesting, when I spoke with support on the issue they suggested the 1 to 1 relationship along with account sharing method should work to allow multiple locations/echos along with continued multi-location control in the app. So you might reach out to them to see why Alexa App 1a connected to SmartThings Account 1s pointed to Location 1l is pulling down devices from Location 2l shared by SmartThings Account 2s…Doesn’t seem right.

@MichaelS solution seems to work around this by essentially having a master SmartThings hub to which Echo’s are connected to and then having a SmartApp on that hub make http OAuth calls to remote hubs. While certainly innovative and a great solution to a SmartThings problem. Ideally SmartThings would get the above scenario to work as this solution will depend on availability of your “Master” hub. That is to say even your GF echo at your GF location will need to talk to your hub (assuming it has the helper/cloud SmartApp) in order to make OAUTH calls BACK to her hub to control her devices…

1 Like

ST or Amazon…but yes.,…if one would fix their respective issue with multiple location the other would work a bit better.

1 Like

One simple solution is to call the devices by their location and device i.e. Echo, turn on my cabin kitchen light vs. echo turn on my home kitchen light. Mouth full I know, but it works.

The main problem I’m having with Echo, I’ll say “Echo, turn on our cabin master bedroom lamps” and I always get a reply “there are many devices with that name, what device did you want” When I repeat the command, the lamps will turn on. This maybe caused because I have over 20 devices per location and it’s a way for Echo to process the command.

Some time ago I asked ST support about using two Amazon Echo’s at two different
locations and was told that it would work. I’m trying to get the second
location working and having problems doing that. Here is what I have.

Location 1 is a house in Georgia, Smartthings Version 1 hub and Amazon
Echo registered to Ronda’s Amazon account. I have it set up and all
works as expected. Ronda has a separate log-in to the Smartthings account.

Location 2 is a house in South Carolina, Smartthings Version 2 hub and
the Amazon Echo registered to my Amazon account. This is the problem
location and this is what happens.

I log into my Alexa app as myself. I then go to the Smart Home section
and link with Smartthings. It has me log into Smartthings and I log in
as myself. I am asked to select a location. I select the South Carolina
home and it list all of the devices set up on the South Carolina hub. I
select the ones I want to control using the Echo. I then go back to the
Alexa app to discover devices. It goes through the process, the SC Echo
announces that discovery is complete. The list of devices it finds are
the ones in the Georgia house and nothing is listed for the SC house.

Has anyone gotten this to work other than the ways listed in this discussion? Using the workarounds listed is not really what I am hoping for. Seems it it sees the correct devices in the Authorize step it should see the correct devices in the discovery step?

Not without the hacks discussed. Issue is basically the integration as currently written only allows one smart things location per smart things account to be hooked up to echo directly. Thus if not interested in workarounds, I would encourage you to notify support to put more pressure on a better integration. Honestly though I get the impression they’re pretty focused on other matters at present ;).

1 Like

And again… Amazon has all the power they need to workaround this issue themselves for the benefit of their Echo / Alexa Customers. It’s a somewhat open platform. SmartThings doesn’t have to be responsible for every issue when there are feasible, practical workarounds.

If multi location users are a small minority of SmartThings users then we’re a much much smaller minority of echo users. Honestly I don’t blame Amazon for not investing in an integration refactor to work around what really is a Smartthings architecture issue. I’m sure they’re too busy trying to put Alexa in 3D printers or something…

Thanks for setting up the thread. Hit this problem and am now looking at how to set up separate accounts for smart things and amazon in each location. Is it worth asking support or is this a go it alone solution?

Support could probably help you split your account, get you new welcome code if needed but it’d probably be go it alone as far as rebuilding everything in your new account. Don’t think they have migration port things over (See v2 migration utility request). Depending on your setup you might see if you could organize it so one location uses Echo native integration and once location uses IFTTT. Should be able to hook the Alexa SmartApp to location A, IFTTT to location B, and use echo to control both.

Downsides are you’d have to use the “alexa trigger” phrase at location B, and location A couldn’t have IFTTT integration. That might be better than splitting accounts depending on your current setup.

Thanks. That’s a creative solution. The downside is that I have Alexa’s alarm start my morning with an IFTT trigger to turn on lights - as I haven’t seen an alarm clock function that’s as easy to use as Alexa in Smart Things.

So unfortunately, I really want to be cable to duplicate capabilities at two locations so think ill have to go ahead with using my second email and have them both in the same household so i can access prime music is in both.

I’ll see what I can do.

A question - if I reset the hub can I reuse the original code as my welcome code for the new account or do I need to get a new code from support?

Following as I have the same issue; got an Amazon echo at home and an Amazon dot at holiday home.
IFTTT while it could work is way too much of a hassle to setup.
Really need a solution that will work properly :confused:

So this weekend I was able to recreate the issue @zj4x4 encountered where I added Alexa to my Dad’s SmartThings account which was shared with me. As such I essentially had 2 locations that had Alexa integrations. Unfortunately I was only able to use one of these successfully (his, aka the latest one). That is to say despite disabling, re-enabling the skill in the Alexa App, selecting my personal location, and granting devices, whenever I ran discovery it always only found his location’s SmartThings devices. So for those keeping track, really the best current workaround for this multiple location issue continues to be Alexa Helper.