Eaton Aspire Master and Accessory Association

I have the Eaton Aspire switches throughout my house so when I needed a 3way ELV dimmer, I went and purchased the RF9540N and RF9542Z at the recommendation of Eaton support. I did not know these were zwave until they arrived but I installed regardless as I would not be able to return the items. After I installed, the 9542 accessory would not work and after some research I realized it needed to be associated via zwave. I then go out and buy the smart things hub but I now find out the 9542 cannot be added via the new app. I called smart things support and they stated they could not help but pointed me to this forum stating someone here will be able to provide a solution, possibly using the classic app. I did read on the forum about a thing called a minimote but was not sure if I need this to get my switches working. At this point, I just want the 9542 to be able to control the light. If I am not able to control the light via the app, no big deal. Thanks!

We used to use the minimote, which is another device, But now you can just use the Z wave Tweaker, which is software, a device driver. You will temporarily assign your accessory switch to that driver, set all the associations, and then assign the switch back to the regular driver. The associations are stored in the firmware on the switch itself, so they will still be set.

It sounds harder than it is, it’s basically just copy and paste, and there are lots of people who will be glad to help you. Unfortunately, I’m not feeling very well today, so I’m going to leave it up to other people going forward. But you can find the tweaker in the following thread and ask questions there:

[BETA] Z-Wave Tweaker

And here’s the community FAQ on how to install custom code. You will need to be using the classic app for this, but it’s fine if you have both versions of the app. (The topic title is a clickable link)

Thank you for your help JDRoberts. I hope you feel better. I logged into the smartthings IDE on my PC and can see all of my devices but do not know what to cut and paste. As I am new to all of this, can someone please help me figure out how to add the 9542 to my smartthings hub.

Thank you!

Sorry folks, I was able to add z wave tweaker to my device handler in smartthings IDE but now stuck as to what I need to do next. I thought the tweaker would show up on my classic app but it does not. I still am not able to add the RF9542 as the app will not recognize it. Please help!!

Thanks.

Find the switch you want to control in the devices list in the IDE. Make note of its device ID.

Find the switch that you want to “tweak” in the devices list in the IDE (the accessory switch?). Click on it to open the device page. Make note of the “Type”. Then edit at the bottom. Set its device handler (“Type”) to Tweaker. Select “Update”.

Now goto your mobile app (classic) and look at the switches page. It should show the tweaker controls. Select the gear icon in the upper right. Enter the Association Group ID (likely in the instructions for the device) , Enter the device ID in the Group Members.

I think you want to set Command Class to Autodetect. Otherwise look for the 85 or 8E in you devices raw description.

Once you get things working you can set the switches device handler (“Type”) back to the original.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. My challenge is when I try to add the accessory switch, the switch itself is responding to the request to add as the led on the switch changes from blinking to a solid light but the switch does not show up my device list. I did the zwave exclusion and re-added three times but it still does not show up. Trying to figure out how I can get the switch to show up on the device list.
Thank You!

You may want to try two things.

1. look in the manual for the switch and see if there is a factory reset that can be done.

2. If it is a long way from the hub, remove it from the wall, wire to an extension cord and plug it in near the hub. Then try to pair it. If successful reinstall, and run a z wave repair on the hub.

Also I found this: https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/wiring-devices-and-connectivity/wiring-devices/z-wave-wireless-collection/z-wave-wireless-accessory-dimmer-spec-sheet.pdf
Once you get it paired it looks like Group 1 is where you want to associate your other switch. Also look at the configuration parameters. You can tweak those to your liking.

Have you figured this out yet? I have the same issue and it is becoming frustrating. I have tried on the new smartthings and classic version.

If you are using a custom DTH, this is probably the stale DTH problem.

FAQ: My lock/device does not pair or appears to pair but it won't show up in the mobile app or IDE - stale DTH

I do not have any custom DTH. I was going to set up the tweaker to sync the switches once I could see the accessory in my device list.