Easy setup for Movie lighting using Hues?

(Jane) #1

I want to be able to easily click one button to make the lights dim and go to a certain colour when we want to watch a movie or tv. Right now I have to either go into the hues app and fiddle around in there or I have to go into the smartthings app and try adjusting the lights in there. Is there a better way?

Sure, several people have written custom smart apps that do this. Most assume that you have a button device like a minimote, but you could also do it with a virtual device that just shows up on your phone.

Check the quick browse links in the communitycreated wiki in the smart apps section for “lighting.” There are several in there. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_SmartApps

If you haven’t used custom code before, here’s the FAQ for that. It’s pretty straightforward, basically you copy someone else’s code and paste it into your account.

And this is what a minimote looks like. Very popular in the community. If you shop around, you should be able to find one for around $20. Each button can be a short or long press, so that give you eight options.

(Glenn Brockett) #3

I am using CoRE to do this using a virtual momentary switch “Tv Time”. The virtual switch is controlled by any of a SmartTiles panel, Mood Cube, Alexa, Mini-Mote or the app. I am also considering putting a load sensing plug on the projector to automate it.

(Glenn Brockett) #4

The real advantage of the macro as shown above is that I can set the scene in one location and change it for all of the triggers.

(Jane) #5

This is really interesting! I am looking into it right now. Thanks!

(Jane) #6

I have been looking at CoRE and fiddling around with it a bit. I have a dumb question…how do you use the piston once it is setup? Would I be able to set it as a widget on my phone? Also, how do you get the display you are showing in the above post showing the If, then coding?

(Glenn Brockett) #7

I use any of a Mood Cube, SmartTiles, Minimote, Amazon Echo or power sensor on my projector to trigger it.

(Glenn Brockett) #8

Piston Mode: Basic
If: TV Time switch changes to on
then: (Tap to add more actions)
Using …
turn on
Using…

The image above is a screen capture of the CoRE Dashboard and selected piston.

(Jane) #9

Is that a Virtual Switch then? And if so, then how do you get it to turn off? I tried setting up a Virtual Switch and it worked to turn things on but then the switch was in a state of On.

(Glenn Brockett) #10

I use the virtual switch as a momentary and open it in the macro (The last line). I have another for “All Off”