Easy Doorbell Integration

Ok I found and old reed from my old wired system… works! But I noticed it only had option for NO. It’s also smaller so I was able to squeeze it even closer… works!

But now I’m curious if the new reed I ordered just for this project works just by switching from NC to NO. Like you suggested trying… I don’t like seeing the sensor listed as open. It’ll mess up my SHM alerts when armed right?

way to go! good job getting it working! i understand about the open closed thing. i dont use the armed thing, im not sure if i remember right, but dont you tell it what to watch? if so, i wouldnt include the doorbell in that. i do run one of the apps that senses an open or close and sends a message to let me know it rang.

1 Like

@GRClark actually has a custom handler that will simply show my “open” as “closed on ST, this will alleviate my OCD…

But yes, everything is working now & my alerts are good too, just had to change then from close to open to trigger, before I was using “vibration” to sense the doorbell chime, but my dog barking would cause false alerts… so this reed hack is my workaround to prevent false alerts from barking.

Ok I just want to be clear I’m not the original author of the handler and don’t want to come off as trying to steal credit. What I did to the original handler was change the polarity so if it showed as open for me it’s now closed. Additionally I changed the background color to the typical blue you see in SmartThings app for when the doorbell is rung. I may have also changed the wording to ding dong/silent - can’t remember if that was there originally. Original author is: jscgs350

1 Like

If you need it reversed from where I’ve got it set then go into handler and switch the open and closed on lines 37 and 38.

1 Like

I got my first doorbell alert today while at work! So I went back to check the driveway camera (it only detects larger objects) I’ll tweak that later, but because the doorbell alert, I caught this:

He is delivering my Hampton Bay Zigbee fan remote :+1:t4: