Duplicate Neato Botvac Device and mysterious lost devices

I recently discovered that my Neato Botvac has 255 duplicate devices in SmartThings. I have completely removed the Smart App and delete the one and only device from the IDE. The device still shows over 200 duplicates. The only way to remove these duplicates is to edit > remove each and every one in the SmartThings app. Support has no idea what to do.

1. Why in the world did this happen?
  2. How do I remove these without going through the painstaking process of deleting each one manually in the app?

Somewhat unrelated but worth mentioning here is that I also recently had 2 devices mysteriously disappear from SmartThings. Both are light switches/dimmers. When I say disappeared I mean that they were deleted/removed completely and not just offline. This happened in the middle of the night and was not removed by me. SmartThings support could not figure anything out. I’m a longtime SmartThings user. These two issues have me quite concerned with SmartThings stability and security.

Where you using the following smartapp? [RELEASE] Neato (Connect) V1.2.6c (Botvac Connected Series)

If yes, you may want to post in that thread. Did you have the latest version of the smartapp and device handlers installed? tagging @nathancu as I saw he posted a few times in that thread and may have some thoughts. Support does not offer any assistance with custom smartapps or device handlers.

As you may be aware, Groovy smartapps/device handlers will be phased out at some point.

How to remove those duplicate devices… that one, unfortunately, is the painstaking process of removing each one individually.

I have only seen this being reported once or twice on the forum so I don’t believe it is a wide spread issue. I imagine this one would be hard to figure out. which model hub do you have? brand/model of the switches/dimmers? do you have other family members with access? If support could not figure it out, I doubt I would be able to but perhaps others on the forum can :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yup, quite aware which is why I am not going to bother adding this SmartApp back into ST. This seems like a very bizarre occurrence that, given the app has been installed for years, points back to a ST issue.

v2 Hub
Inovelli red dimmer and Zooz Zen 76

Any unexplainable device removal is very concerning to me. Only my wife has access and she certainly doesn’t go in excluding z wave devices. It happened in the middle of the night based on when the Google Assistant told me it was removed. The fact that they cannot go back to logs to pinpoint a device removal has caused me to lose trust in the platform. What makes things worse is that the device in question is called “security lights.”

Yikes, this is strange. Just hopping in bc I want to see if there’s an eventual explanation for this as I’ve never heard of this happening and yeah, a tad concerning.

When exactly did this happen? There was a platform update the other day (June 7th). Possibly it was related to that, but yeah, you would think the logs would capture something.

In addition, for them to be removed, it requires not only an exclusion from the hub, but (at least for the Inovelli’s) for someone to push the configuration button 3x.

Random question – if you already haven’t tried putting the Inovelli or Zooz back into your network, can you try to do that without factory resetting them (or excluding them)?

I want to see if they are able to pair without a factory reset. Reason being is that Z-Wave devices can only be paired to one hub at a time and I’d like to understand if these were fully excluded or if they just somehow dropped off SmartThings (but are still connected to the hub – it’s just not showing in IDE or your app). If they are able to be paired w/out a factory reset, then somehow those devices got excluded and that’s very concerning.

If they can only be paired after a factory reset, then it means the switch thinks it’s still paired to the hub, which would point to something on ST’s end.

Idk, just thought I’d chime in – hopefully it helps a bit!