Dual Switch Solution

If any of those switches are a three way switch (two switches to control one light) you could just tie the wires together and use one switch to control it the. Just use two zwave switches in that box, that’s what I did.

maybe try micro switches

Hi Guys - I’m in the same boat, i found a few devices on amazon. Worried about safety. What are the thoughts on these devices:

1. https://www.amazon.com/Switches-Replace-Combination-Compatible-Smartphone/dp/B07466DH7Z/ref=pd_sbs_60_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07466DH7Z&pd_rd_r=934bb9ef-7a3c-11e8-b9b4-932e0a6d88fa&pd_rd_w=n77hV&pd_rd_wg=2jC6K&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=5825442648805390339&pf_rd_r=FHC4F0FAYGQK5G6T20GA&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=FHC4F0FAYGQK5G6T20GA

2. https://www.amazon.com/Mojocraft-Wireless-Sensitive-Neutral-Required/dp/B072JCWH23#customerReviews

Speaking just for myself, I don’t wire anything to the mains unless it is UL certified or an equivalent certification. For example, the Fibaro micros are UL certified.

The two devices you linked to are both cheap devices made in China. They are not UL listed.

They are using a radio which has the CE Mark, but it’s important to note 2 things:

1. the CE Mark is a self determination by the manufacturer. It is not checked by a third-party the way the UL Mark or the CSA mark Devices are or the ETL mark are.

2. in switches like these, the CE Mark only applies to that radio part, which they purchased from a third-party. It doesn’t apply to the switch as a whole. Again, with devices which are wired to the mains, there are a lot of places where you can create a fire hazard besides the radio. :fire::rotating_light::fire_engine:

Because I myself am quadriparetic, fire safety is a big deal to me. I will pay extra for well engineered devices that meet third-party safety standards. In the US, your local code may not require that. Which is why there is a lot of cheap stuff available. It’s your choice whether to use it, but if you have a situation similar to mine where you do move fire safety to a higher priority, then just look for something that is UL or ETL listed. It’s not a guarantee, but it’s definitely better than a self certifying Chinese device aimed at consumers who want to pay as little as possible.

There is a lot of Chinese stuff which is very well-made, but it’s almost all gone through third-party certification, because then they will be able to sell it at Home Depot and similar brick-and-mortar retailers. In other words, if they’re going to build it to those standards anyway, it’s usually worth it to the manufacturer to get the certification because they will be able to offer it through more sales channels.

The following is a very good discussion of the difference between buying a product at Home Depot and buying one at Amazon with regard to electrical safety considerations:

( i’m not saying don’t buy from Amazon; I buy a lot of stuff there. :heart_eyes: I’m just saying know what you are buying and understand that the big box stores have a level of safety certification requirement which Amazon does not.)

1 Like