Dual controlled in wall outlet (not a plug-in)?

Are you in the US or the UK? Device selection does vary by region.

In the US, Inovelli does have a plug in zwave pocket socket with two separately controllable smart socket. I don’t know if they’re intending to make a version as an in wall receptacle, though. @Eric_Inovelli May be able to say more.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2385

https://www.amazon.com/Individually-Appliance-SmartThings-Compatible-Inovelli/dp/B01K6J1Y1I

GE has a similar zwave module, 28177

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Appliance-Independently-Controlled-28177/dp/B0736311QF

Most of the Z wave in wall micros cannot handle the load required by code for US in wall outlet. They are intended only to control lighting, typically with a maximum of 10 A where US code requires plug-in outlets they have up to 15 A at least.

There is a zigbee in wall micro from SmartenIT , the ZBLC15 , but unfortunately Smartthings does not officially support the zigbee commands required to make dual independent control work.

https://www.smarthome.com/smartenit-4033a-zigbee-ha-wireless-dual-relay-on-off-load-controller.html

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/202295030-Smartenit-HA-Dual-Relay-Controller-ZBLC15-4033A-

All three of these would require custom code, they don’t work out of the box with SmartThings because of the multi channel aspect.

I personally use the ConnectSense plug-in, which I really like, but it works with HomeKit, not smartthings.

2019 update

IDevices has released an inwall outlet where each socket is independently addressed. It doesn’t work directly with SmartThings, but you can get integration through IFTTT. (It also works with HomeKit.) but it’s expensive.

I do expect to see some zwave outlets with this option once the series 7 devices start hitting the market, but that might not be until mid 2020.

2 Likes

If you aren’t already using ST, Insteon makes a plug like that - I was planning on doing this before I settled on SmartThings. https://www.insteon.com/on-off-outlet/

@MarkTr Brings up a good point. This forum is for people who are using the Samsung smartthings home automation platform, so all of the answers that you get will be in that context and assume that you have a smartthings hub. Because it’s a very active forum, it tends to come up near the top of Google searches for home automation topics, but it is specific to that particular hub. So it may not be what you were looking for.

I am wanting to use the smart things hub. I just don’t want to set it up if there isn’t a way to do what i want. I also don’t want multiple hubs running my house.

Are you in the US?

Yes. I am in the US.Though i do actually have some 220 UK outlets in my kitchen.

US 220v outlets , Typically for large appliances, are wired differently then the 230 V systems in the UK. UK systems use ring mains, deliver the same 13A amperage to each outlet, and assume that there is a fuse built into every appliance cord. None of that applies to a US residential system. You just mean regular US 220 V outlets, correct?

We split the kitchen to have UK 220v outlets. They are on their own breaker. I use them for European appliances.

Sounds like an interesting project!

For UK wired sockets, you can use lightwave RF generation 2 with the free IFTTT service to interface with a number of other home automation systems, including smart things. That does mean that the Internet has to be working in order for the integration to work as it is cloud to cloud. But I have no idea if they would meet local safety codes as they are intended for UK use. And they are not available in a regular US style.

https://lightwaverf.com/power/11482355796

So that wouldn’t be relevant to most people, but in your unusual set up it’s just something to be aware of.

To go back to your original question…

I’m assuming you don’t want one of the plug-in modules because the kids could just remove it and then plug the entertainment devices into the wall socket…

So the short answer is there isn’t anything that works easily with smartthings in the US at the present time that can control both receptacles in an in wall outlet.

There are some dual zwave micros, but they don’t meet US specs for an outlet as they typically only support up to 10 A and US code almost everywhere requires at least 15A for an outlet. So they can work well for a light switch, but not the in wall receptacle.

Zigbee in wall dual micro from smartenIT that I mentioned might work with SmartThings, as it did at one time, but there have been a lot of changes since then and I don’t know of anyone currently using it. It’s a bit risky as the platform itself is changing and I’m not sure if it will be supported in the future. So you could look at that one with its own hub. But that has a limited set of devices.

As far as other platforms, as mentioned above Insteon makes a model that would work, but that would require their hub.

There are several HomeKit models now available with the features you’re looking for. You don’t need a special hub for those, but you do need either one Apple TV or one iPad or one HomePod so you can set up the automations. If you already use Apple devices, this can be a good choice, but if you only have android phones and tablets then it’s probably not worth it.

There are some ewelink Wi-Fi outlets at Amazon that work with Alexa, so you should be able to find at least one. Many of those are Chinese and do not have US safety certifications, though, so I personally wouldn’t use them for in wall receptacles. But that’s obviously an individual choice.

Sorry not to be more help. Most people with a smartthings hub just use the plug-in modules, but I understand that doesn’t match your requirements.

1 Like

I imagine you found a solution for your own project by now, but for people who find this thread in the future because of the topic title, there is now a new option.

IDevices has a Wi-Fi outlet, in wall, which has always had two independently controlled sockets, but which did not have any integration with smartthings, although it did with HomeKit.

Anyway, in December 2018 they added an IFTTT channel with two way status, so it can now be used to integrate with smartThings if you are OK with cloud to cloud.

These are well engineered devices which often have features competitors do not, but they do tend to be somewhat more expensive. Still, worth considering, particularly for those who want devices that work with both smartthings and HomeKit. :sunglasses:. ( The HomeKit integration is local, so if you do use iOS devices, that gives you a good backup for times when the smartthings cloud is not available.)

IDevices also has a battery operated Bluetooth accessory switch. You can’t use it on its own, it won’t be visible to smartthings, but you can pair it with the outlet so you have a wall switch for that outlet, which is a nice feature also. Again, not cheap, but well made with advanced features.

I don’t know exactly how the switch works with the outlet, if it only controls one socket or both. Or if you get to choose which one it controls. But still nice. :sunglasses:

@iDevicesOfficial

1 Like

Thanks for bringing up the Wall Outlet/Instant Switch use case - it’s one of our favorites! The Instant Switch connects to one product only. Each receptacle of the Wall Outlet is technically considered a separate product in operation and how it appears in the iDevices Connected or Home app. You can choose which receptacle you want to pair the Instant Switch to. You can pair one Instant Switch to each Wall Outlet, so if you have a lamp plugged into one and a fan plugged into the other, for example, you can strategically place each Instant Switch where it’s most convenient and control these accessories just like they’re wired to a switch. We have a pack available which includes a Wall Outlet and Instant Switch, and it’s pre-discounted. If you find it on sale (right now you could get the already discounted pack for 10% off), even more advantageous.

1 Like

How about the Aeotec Dual Nano Switch? I just hooked up a nano switch to a dumb receptacle. The dual would give you the ability to control each plug independently.

If you are in Europe, that will probably work fine, Since most regular in wall outlets there are 10 A or lower.

The dual nano does not meet US code requirements for load, which is 15 A for a regular in wall receptacle. The Aeotec is only rated for 6.5 A per socket, or 10 A total. That should be fine for behind a light switch, but not behind an outlet in the US.

The outlet examples on the Aeotec site are all for European outlets.

Model number: ZW132/ZW140
Power input: 120VAC to 240VAC, 50Hz to 60Hz.
Rated output: 6.5A per channel for resistive load.
Total current: Max 10A.

1 Like

Thanks. That is something that I did not consider. Maybe he can fit 2 nano switches in the box. They are good for 15A in the US.

1 Like

This thread has been dead for a while, but I’m curious if anyone here has found a good dual-controlled in-wall outlet that works on Zigbee or Z-Wave? I’ve been looking with not a lot of luck.

It’s really hard to make device recommendations right now, because smartthings is in the middle of a huge transition to a completely new architecture, and unfortunately, at the present time it’s not working very well with multi endpoint devices. For example, only one endpoint is exposed to the voice assistants. So I just don’t feel comfortable discussing this device class for Z wave or zigbee right now.

The following community FAQ has more details on the new architecture:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

There is one possibility which does seem to be working pretty well and is not affected by the edge driver issues.

Kasa has a WiFi model, KP200, ETL certified, that should work through their SmartThings integration, although you won’t get energy consumption. But definitely worth a look.

But I don’t know if that would be of any interest to you or not. :thinking:

I know you are asking for a dual controlled outlet, Leviton makes an in-wall zwave receptacle but it is only single controlled. The top outlet is zwave controlled but the bottom outlet is always on.

I was looking for the same thing and never found any. Instead I got a dual wifi in wall outlet. It pairs with SmartLife and both outlets are directly integrated with Smartthings c2c.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. I think I’ll go down the wifi path then!

1 Like