[OBSOLETE] DSC -> EVL-3(4) -> Alarmserver -> Smartthings

@nathancu Thank you! While I don’t use ActionTiles, That did point me in the direction I needed.

I was able to setup the automations suggested at that link and just tie them directly to the DSC panel away and stay switches directly. Problem solved :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up to @philh30 posted version. I have read through all the posts on the migration thread and even played in creating new presentations in the new app, but there appears ALOT of things are not working. The most basic of capabilities (“switch”) does not appear to work in custom DTHs, the docs are a mess and inaccurate in many places (the only way I was able to make sense of things was with the video @jody.albritton posted), and editing/testing is just a headache with the new app caching of devices. I don’t think that most of the custom devices will be even close to ready once ST drops support for the classic app in October, and this is very upsetting…

Yup. Buttons and switches are broken right now on the detailView. Even when they were working, each one takes up so much space on the screen that I don’t think they’re a good choice considering the number of buttons you’d need to control an alarm panel. I’m using a list out of necessity, but I think it’s actually the better choice for choosing arm status.

2 Likes

I looked at your code on github, and the post on it. I agree, the listview seems nicer in a way. I started this weekend on seeing how to rough-in an interface for the new app, and have a dashboard which displays the status and able to arm using the button, and the detail view with a status display. I’m using your code as a guide for the listview on the details page. Maybe this week I can clobber something usefully together.
Readying through your replies on the other thread, and want to thank-you for all the hard work you have been doing for developers!

1 Like

I would think it would be possible to come up with a capability flexible enough to handle any security system device like this, using a supportedModes structure like some of the thermostat capabilities do. I haven’t gotten there yet though, and I haven’t been too eager to try since all the pieces to make that possible may not be working yet.

1 Like

I’ve made some progress on updating the DSC panels to the new ST app. Here is an image the dashboard of the old (Stay Panel) vs the new (Away Panel)

From the dashboard you can quickly arm or disarm the security system, and you get a status of what is happening.

For the details view:

Again, you can quickly arm or disarm the security sytem, there is a status display, and then an area to select a command from a list of possible actions.

It’s all very beta, and the previous device code was just updated to handle the new ST app. I can post it on github if anyone wants to give it a whirl at the current stage. Eventually all the device code should get a major re-write of its code, but currently I just want to quickly it it working with the new app as the deadline for the old app is approaching.

2 Likes

Cool! Was hoping someone would pick this up for the New App. All I use is the Stay Panel (dogs) and the arm/disarm feature. This actually works in the New App and I don’t use any of the other buttons. Anyway, still appreciate having the ability to use all of Alarm Server features!

I’ll jump in this weekend if you don’t find any major issues.

Hi, I moved to the new app last week and lots of stuff stopped working including this one.
so can you please let me know where can I find the latest version?
Is it this one https://github.com/rtorchia/DSCAlarm?

And do I need to update the server also or only the smartthings devices and smart app?

Thanks

Just as an FYI, I ended up having to manually delete all trod the alarmserver devices via IDE, and then restarting alarmserver to get all of my devices showing up in the new app. Then I had to go into every automation, scene and smart app that used those devices and configuring them to use those devices again.

Once I completed that task, everything seems to be working again.

However, do note that there is no longer any native integration capability Between alarmserver and the DSC Alarm app and STHM. (Samsung hasn’t enabled 3rd party integrations yet).

I was able to work around that by using virtual Switches and some additional automations to get it functioning.

Don’t expect that to ever come. Expect the v-switches to be the way to do it.

I uploaded the new stay and away panel code to github. This is beta, but all seems to be working as far as I can determine with my setup. You will have to manually set it up by editing the current devices in the IDE. I recommend to copy and paste the code into your current device handler.

I eventually want to rewrite the code the be just one panel, and with automation, be able to select Stay or Away arming.

To have the new STHM, I setup automations to change the security mode as the device DSC panels change, and vice versa. Not pretty, but works for now.

1 Like

I had already setup automations to change the security mode and vice versa so that piece was already done.

I updated my handlers with your new beta code. current status is now showing properly in the new app along with the partition command options. So far seems to work will with a few quick arm/disarm tests. I’ll let me scheduled automations fire and let you know if I see any glitches on my end.

1 Like

I tried to install the @rtorch version, but my server is crashing.
I have also installed python 3.8.0, what could be the reason? Before installing the new version I stopped the old service disabled it and removed the hard link, didn’t help.

I did fresh new install of the raspbian vith python 3.7.3 and I still have the same issue. It seems something is missing:

Any ideas what goes wrong?

I don’t get any graphics in the New App but at least I can Arm/Disarm both the Stay and Away panels. That’s all I’ve ever really did but it does bother me seeing nothing. :confused:

Patience. @rtorch has a beta that starts to address this.

Did you get it sorted out?

Not sure what the problem can be, but make sure you have the config file in the same directory, and that you updated the config file to take into account the new options.

No, I was also thinking today that there might be some difference in the alarmserver.cfg, so I did file compare with your github version and the only differences are my specific settings, like zones, IP address, callback url …

I still have the same message. I checked the python versions and I think by default 2.7 is the default version so I also set 3.7 as default now. I will install 3.8 and see what happens

The issue your install is pointing out is that the folder your service file specifies alarmserver.py in does not exist… it’s looking in /usr/lib/alarmserver/alarmserver.py Where is your copy actually installed.

I VAGUELY remember having a similar issue between where I’d put mine and where the ExecStart line in the .service file was looking for it. Check that.

Hi Nathan

The file is in that default location. When I run it manually, it connects to the alarm panel and I can see the status updates in the python IDE without errors, which means the config file is probably OK and the python code works. Something is not right in my service configuration or maybe I am missing some components.