[OBSOLETE] DSC -> EVL-3(4) -> Alarmserver -> Smartthings

With language like that, I’ll have to call you “Bad Santa”. LOL!!!

To confirm @949BFN, I cannot bypass zones in partition2. Personally, that isn’t a deal-breaker for me. I really appreciate all the functionality that you have already incorporated into your version of Alarmserver,

Hendre, I had to match zones to partitions via the EyezOn Website.

I’m sure that also had to do that.

LOL well that figures! Someone’s been down this road before I guess. I think we really do need to specify what zones are in what partitions in order to make the bypass thing work smoothly. I may make it default to partition1 so that most people don’t have to do anything though.

Oh cool. I should have tried that, instead of making the assumption, it would just have only the on/off capability, after selecting one of those devices. Thank you very much. That solves it for me!

1 Like

OK guys i just had a really good thought which might make fixing the bypass thing a heck of a lot easier.

What if i don’t fix it in the smart app at all, but rather entirely in alarmserver! Since the EVL reports bypass status independent of partition, it’s only the actual bypass command that requires partition to be specified for these commands. That said - if we make an optional partition argument to the zone definitions in alarmserver.cfg, I can have alarmserver check if this is defined, and send the bypass command to the partition specified. No smartapp change required at all - this would be entirely an alarmserver change. I think that is the easiest path forward to fix the bypass issue and saves a major headache of work that I was thinking I would have to do to make the smartapp somehow aware of it. This is a million times better and sticks more with the notion of zones and partitions sort of being separate to some extent in how the EVL handles things.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure about the flow of commands and responses in this setup, but if it’s like I’ve been thinking then your idea sounds perfect. No change needed for the bypass command buttons in the SmartApp and the bypass status tiles will still indicate correctly. Super!

With the little understanding I have of the workings of the alarm system, your suggestion seems a good idea.

In connection with my suggestion that the app allows us to differentiate which alerts we receive depending on the state of the alarm (i.e. armed or disarmed), I have a further question - Currently I have an sms (text) module wired into my alarm system which sends me text messages when the alarm condition changes. If any zones are bypassed when the alarm is armed, I get a text warning me that certain zones have been bypassed. I was wondering if this could be added to the notification options, as it seems to be important information?

Question - run these integrations on Western Digital My Cloud Device?

Rather than purchasing a Raspberry Pi device or leaving something on as a server, does anyone have any idea as to whether it could run as a Western Digital My Cloud app on my NAS? What would be the path to get that done?
Cheers and thanks.

This is going to be a very stupid question… I couldn’t find the answer easily however, so please don’t be mad at me.

What hardware do I need to use this? All I have right now is a working DSC & sensors.

I am guessing I need to buy:

• Envisalink EVL-4 (I found an EZR & a CG version, any differences?)
  • Raspberry Pi 3
  • 4 wires to connect them

is this it?

Unless you find someone who has already installed Alarmserver on MyCloud, you should probably ask for help on the MyCloud forums. There are many 3rd party apps for MyCloudOS, including python, so your chances are pretty good, I would think. I would probably start by finding out what is needed to run a version 2.7 python script on your particular device and then go from there. I’m sure the people on this forum will help with getting Smartthings working, once you have all the dependencies installed.

Good luck!

@mjlewis

Do you have the proper DSC panel? i.e.PC1616/PC1832/PC1864

Personally, I prefer using the Raspberry Pi 3 and EVL-4. It’s such a simple setup without spending too much money. You’ll need a free port on a router or switch and the necessary cabling, etc. But I’m sure you knew that, already.:wink:

I have an RPi3, EVL-4, 3 port network switch module, 2 - 8AH batteries and a couple DC-DC converters all mounted inside my DSC PC1864 alarm cabinet. All hardware in one place, except for my SmartHub.

I’m not familiar with the EZR or CG.

Of course, there are many other options and maybe someone else will share their favorite.

Cheers!

it doesn’t have to be a pi. i don’t even use a pi and i am pretty much the person who maintains this version. you can run it on any linux box, if the WD storage thing lets you bring up a linux instance of some sort in the same network as your EVL device, then you can run alarmserver on it.

Hi all,

Is this project based on juggie’s AlarmServer code?

If yes:

I am trying to implement 071 send custom keystroke, but I can only send short codes like *106# -> any longer code is not accepted by Envisalink. Is there any workaround to this?

If no:

then I am not lucky. :slight_smile:

Thank you,

Can anyone help still stuck on first step. Tried deleting and creating smartapp 2 times with different OATH code but still getting this error - when i use code to authenticate.-

and my web address is different not graph.api.smartthings.com when i login on smartthings page.
Any ideas what i am doing wrong

I had a short power failure which did not impact the Raspberry Pi or the EVL card, but a sub-router to which the Raspberry Pi is connected did go down for a few minutes and as a result, the Raspberry Pi lost its connection to the network and internet for a few minutes.
It seems that because as a result, Alarmserver stopped functioning on the R-Pi. I closed Alarmserver and restarted it again. That was all that was required to get the system fully functioning again.
Is Alarmserver not clever enough to get going again after a network disruption?
Is there a possible workaround?
Thanks

I am still installing .This the first step to get the restapi working. I am stuck there only.

Maybe I’m just blind, but I’m following the install instructions in git and the first line says “Create a new Smartthings App in the IDE. Use the code from DSCIntegration.groovy in the smartapps folder for the new smartapp. Save and publish as needed.”

Has DSCIntegration.groovy been removed from the repo?

Went right to it.

Yup, I’m blind. Thanks.