[OBSOLETE] DSC -> EVL-3(4) -> Alarmserver -> Smartthings

K good to know that’s not the issue then.

I never did get the test URL thingy to work for me haha. I just assumed if the other steps worked it would work and it ended up working.

I finally got everything working, well outside of Armed(AWAY), Armed (HOME) and DISARMED in Smart Home Monitor (SMH) pushing to AlarmServer. It pulls (receives the information from DSC Panel) Physical or in SmartThings after the delay period. Don’t really use SHM so this is not an issue for me thus far.

The Read-Me here definitely needs some updating!

The setup links in the installation instructions are not necessarily accurate. This is the BIGGEST needed update.
It needs to be clear that some peoples links to their Graph (IDE) files (i.e. installation path) are different such as: https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com EVERYTHING BEFORE THE “.com” NEEDS TO BE FIXED or substituted with the correct path!!!
Given consideration to the above, I found that I had installations in several locations. So it is important to log in to the SmartThings IDE (Graph), 1st go to locations, then select the correct location (i.e. Home) then proceed with installing the Device Handlers and Smart Apps. So So So important. This will produce the correct Client ID and Secret for you to proceed properly with the next set of instructions.
Would be really useful to point out how to install the browser extension to organize the code for easy readability.(i.e. trying to find the App ID) I used JSONView for Chrome. Google JSONView and then install the plugin.
It needs to be clear where to download Python, how to install it, where to put the AlarmServer files, and how to run it for windows users. Also, how to install the additional files that Python needs to run the AlarmServer! I had errors trying to run AlarmServer.py. The following scripted fetched the appropriate files for it to run correctly.

python -m pip install --upgrade pippython -m pip install requests

It needs to be clear how to edit a .cfg file. (What is the best program?) I changed .cfg to .txt and used notepad to make edits then saved and changed it back to .cfg. I later found that I could open .cfg with notepad by associating .cfg to notepad by right clicking on file and left clicking open with—notepad----and clicking on the box that say always open with.
The test link giving in the instructions means nothing if you don’t know what you are looking at! This step is critical but if you don’t explain what one might see to determine if things are correct then…
If you follow the instructions to a tea and make all of the necessary corrections above then it still want work because you will get 2 // in the resulting link to the installation folder. i.e. DSC -> EVL-3(4) -> Alarmserver -> Smartthings. <-------Notice the // right before 36604/304 and after smartthings? Your link in AlarmServer will have 2 // in it after installation if you follow the instructions. You have to take the / out where you put the link to the IDE installation folder in the .cfg file for AlarmServer or it WILL NOT WORK!!! Taking out the // and just having one /DSC -> EVL-3(4) -> Alarmserver -> Smartthings <-----no // before 36604/304 so now the link works.
Finally, would be nice to have an auto run feature or instructions on how to set up autorun for PC so you don’t have to do the command prompt each time your computer reboots.

I know that all of this might be simple stuff for many users but I am quite computer literate but this setup tormented me for 3 weeks!!! ArrrrrGGGGG!!! Simple enough now that I understand it but, PLEASE UPDATE THE README’s and Installation Instructions! PLEASE PLEASE.

Saying all of that, THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH FOR THIS!!! SO FREAKING COOL!!! Added 16 devices for 100 bucks! And everything is now integrated with SmartThings. How cool is that?!

Anything in there helpful?

Other thing is when I run alarmserver and get all those errors, they seem to stop but if you trigger a sensor, they update. Like just walked by a motion sensor and it added:

2017-03-18 19:20:38 Unsupported input! This could be a bug. Input was:15:21:26 60900332
2017-03-18 19:20:38 Unsupported input! This could be a bug. Input was:15:21:26 6531CF
2017-03-18 19:20:40 Unsupported input! This could be a bug. Input was:15:21:28 6100032A
2017-03-18 19:20:40 Unsupported input! This could be a bug. Input was:15:21:28 6501CC

I ran into that as well.

Pretty much have done all of that, a lot of that sounds extremely basic. I’m not new to Linux I use it all the time, but that post sounds like the person didn’t even know they could edit a cfg file in notepad haha. I think those are windows specific instructions, for example:

python -m pip install --upgrade pippython -m pip install requests

That doesn’t work:

pi@alarmserver:~/DSCAlarm-master/alarmserver $ python -m pip install --upgrade pippython -m pip install requests

Usage:
/usr/bin/python -m pip install [options] …
/usr/bin/python -m pip install [options] -r …
/usr/bin/python -m pip install [options] [-e] …
/usr/bin/python -m pip install [options] [-e] …
/usr/bin/python -m pip install [options] <archive url/path> …

no such option: -m

Going to try one last thing and put python on my PC and see if I get the same results using Windows to rule out something with the linux system.

Yeah I agree. Definitely win instructions

No luck, exact 100% same issue saying Unsupported Input, sigh. I use HomeSeer today where you just put the EVL IP address in and it just works. Was looking to switch to ST because I like the mobile app and being able to do events etc from my phone vs needing a PC to change things and wanted something more basic where as HomeSeer is very complex for more complex tasks. I liked how with ST I can click a leak sensor and just say send me a notification if there’s a leak. With HomeSeer I’d have to write a short event saying if a leak is detected on this sensor then do pushover notification, etc, etc. But getting this working is 100x harder than anything on HomeSeer so I think I’m going to save $200 and return the Smart Things and just stick with HomeSeer. Been trying to make this work since 9am, can’t spend more time on it. Thanks so much for your help though everyone, really appreciate it!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee dont’ give up. I’ve spent weeks on it and it’s finally working and the triumph… you have no idea. Plus the app integrated that has been written for this gives you insane control of your alarm

Are you guys running the script and an executable script?

Haha I don’t want to give up! But the reason I wanted to throw away the $1000 I’ve spent on HomeSeer and plugins is because I wanted something that just works haha. Okay fine I’ll keep plugging away, but I’m really at a wall lol.

@Nathan_Frank I was running it as python alarmserver.py for now, but tried to chmod +x the file and run it as ./alarmserver.py but same issue :frowning:

When I run mine I use solely “python alarmserver.py

I haven’t set it up to auto restart on reboot. I’m trash at python but I’d love to have that as an included step for our instructions because it’s pretty much necessary in my opinion

Okay here’s my confusing question to throw into the mix.

[zone2]
name=ZM:Suite Entry
type=motion

This one shows up as a door contact.

[zone3]
name=ZW:Suite SW
type=contact

This on displays as a motion

[zone4]
name=ZW:Suite Kitchen
type=contact

This one shows as a CO detector

[zone5]
name=ZM: Suite Living Room
type=motion

This one shows up as a door.

Okay so I just sorted it out. As I was writing this I had an idea. These are the first 5 zones and they are used in the example. When I first set up the alarmserver I did not configure my zones. I think these devices were created using the default settings, so when I changed the config it didn’t change the device type because it’s only set the first time. So if anyone else is having this issue you need to go into the IDE and manually change the device type!

Can you repost your entire alarmserver.cfg file?

Also, the oauth instructions state “You will now be at an Authorization page, click on the dropdown and select your From: location. Now you need to authorize the Alarm Panel device you created earlier, it should be in the list under “Allow Endpoint to control These Things”. Make sure it’s selected and then click the “Authorize” button at the bottom.”

However I have never had it do that. Screenshot shows what I always see. There’s never “allow endpoint to control these things” there’s nothing to select?

Also what alarm panel that I created earlier? The instructions didn’t say anything about creating a panel?

That is correct. That is the only thing you will see is what is in your screenshot.

You don’t have to authorize any specific devices. note “Trigger any of your connected Things to take actions on your behalf”

Honestly I’m unsure what the issue is. Your config seems okay to me?