[OBSOLETE] DSC -> EVL-3(4) -> Alarmserver -> Smartthings

Should be the IP of your raspberry pi. I have the correct ip and it’s still not functioning. Side note, can anyone explain how the zones and partitions work? Is it the same as your regular panels work or do you set it up efor each door and window and motion sensor?

That’s what I thought. I must have changed it somehow. I am up and running now. Everything is workig here. I can finnaly not have to hear the wife saying is that all you are going to do is work on the computer…blah blah blah. I agree with you I had a lot of trial and error and reading 1000 posts to help get this up and running. If the directions were updated this should take minutes to do.

So was your IP incorrect? Mine is sadly not working yet :frowning:

Yeah I did something stupid with the IP. Did you set up everythig in the config file? Did you set up all the zones?

No, I haven’t. How did your zones work? Was it each contact? For example I have roughly 50 motion/contacts. The panels in the house see 6ish zones I think. How did you configure yours? Also if you want to collaborate on uplating the instructions i’d be happy to work with you

Are you following the new github instructions? Be sure to read Nathan’s comment about how to find the proper app ID through the locations in the ide and then looking at your apps through there

This is a really simple setup but the instructions are just all over the place.

Someone needs to make a simple program that populates the code needed for the config file.

An example of this is the End Setup Details in the Host Pinger App where it gives you the App ID and the Access Token. Another example is Cloud Interface for Ask Alexa to get the URL for End Points.

I posted this a while back. Click on the up arrow to go to the post for a better layout.

The python setup is super easy as well but again you need a basic set of instructions.

partitions are just to label the actual DSC partitions, but a lot of the stuff from EVL includes the partition number as part of the data so it’s kind of to help deal with some of that as well.

the zones are simply to define what device type they show up as in smartthings. ultimately you can “lie” for some of them, and it will still work, it’s more so that a smoke alarm shows up as a smoke device in smartthings, and a motion sensors shows up as a motion sensor. you can probably just label each zone a “contact” or something and it’d still work, just wouldn’t show up right. defining the zones is just defining how the devices show up in smart things. ultimately, they should mostly match what your actual DSC setup is.

if you have 50 contacts but only 6 zones - does that mean you wired them all in series or something? afaik a zone=a single sensor for wireless ones, it’s one sensor per zone. only wired sensors can “share” a zone, by wiring a bunch of sensors in series, but ultimately you lose visibility by doing this. If you have all your motions on one zone - then call that zone a motion zone. If it’s a mishmash of sensor types on one zone - then just call it a contact zone to keep it easy.

ultimately i wanted to write the oauth-stuff into the app - but if you’ve ever done any oauth coding - you’d know it’s kind of a royal pain in the ass -especially when the app is a back-end app that has no frontend, you can make the oauth stuff launch a url in your browser and ask for permission that’s how the pro’s do it, but i just haven’t had the time to write all that oauth integration stuff so we’re basically manually doing it, and most people are running this on a linux box with no gui so you can’t really have it launch a browser to ask for permission among other things - i’m not even sure how i’d do it.

1 Like

They are set up just like they are on the panel. I have a few windows wired in series and those are all on one zone. If you have just enter the config for something like this:

[zone1]
name=DSC Zone 01 Front Door
type=contact
[zone2]
name=DSC Zone 02 Front Hall Window
type=contact
[zone3]
name=DSC Zone 03 Playroom Window
type=contact
[zone4]
name=DSC Zone 04 Livingroom Windows
type=contact
[zone5]
name=DSC Zone 05 Dining Room Window
type=contact
[zone6]
name=DSC Zone 06 Back Door
type=contact

1 Like

It is really not hard to do with the right steps with changes that were made. I am not complaining at all and I have very basic knowlege of Linux so I am kinda learning on the fly. This was my first Rasberry Pi so it’s new to me. The only Linux I know is from rooting Androids and that is not really Linux. I will see if Chris and I can update the instructions a little for people like me :grinning:

For some reason it’s defaulting zone 1-5 as what the defaults are in the config. any idea why? I have them set up as contact/motion and it’s making it a C/o or smoke for example?

Still struggling to get the commands from ST to be heard by the Pi. I’ve used my internal IP for the Pi and the recommended 8111 for port. Am I supposed to be using the external port and port forward something in my router?

are you running the alarmserver command from the same folder as the config file? or maybe you need to specify the config file path on the command line. if it’s using defaults anyway? I think the first thing you need to do is make sure your config file is the one that’s actually being used by the running instance of alarmserver.

no you aren’t supposed to forward anything in the router - it’s all internal - your smartthings hub, to alarmserver.

Did you change them? You have to type out everything in the cfg file.

Yes, it is recognizing all my changes to the config. I changed the device types but it’s showing them incorrectly for the first 5 devices. I’m receiving proper changes and status from the alarm system. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’m using the internal ip of the pi and the https port. Rebooted the pi and the evl. Nothing changes

When you go back into the cfg are your changes still there or have they reverted back?

Changes are all showing up in the CFG. everything looks right there. it shows all my newly configured zones. I still have no control of anything through ST either

I had read some time back in a post that this may be due to the dsc code not configured in .cfg correctly. Have you looked at that? I have same issue and the ST does receive the command from the phone - I see i tin the logs, but havent had a chance to look into the code stuff.